E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Extended warranty in Canada

01-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Extended warranty in Canada

I recently called up BMW Toronto to ask them about their extended warranty package for the E90/E92. Here's what I found out.

* Insurance is provided by a third party (Coverage One, I believe). BMW is the middle man.
* They will ensure most vehicles regardless of mileage.
* But mileage will determine pricing.
* For a E90/E92 with less than 20,000 km, the pricing for a warranty that extends beyond the mfg's 48/80k to the 84months/142,000km is about $2675 assuming a $200 deductible (per repair order).

My question is: If I plan on keeping my E90 and E92 for at least seven years (more likely 10 yrs), do you think the $2675 price is reasonable? Of course, there are exclusions.

Here are the coverage details:

Maximum coverage! Virtually every mechanical part on your vehicle is covered except for those excluded under the General Provisions section of the agreement. Examples of covered parts
include:

ENGINE:
Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head(s) and all internal lubricated parts contained within the engine including; Pistons; Piston Rings; Connecting Rods and Bearings; Crankshaft; Crankshaft Main Bearings; Camshaft; Camshaft Bearings; Cam Followers; Timing Chain or Belt; Timing Gears, Guides, Tensioners; Rocker Arms; Rocker Shafts; Rocker Bushings; Cylinder Head Valves; Valve Guides; Valve Lifters; Valve Springs; Valve Seals; Valve Retainers; Valve Seats; Push Rods; Water Pump; Oil Pump and Oil Pump Housing; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pan; Timing Chain Cover; Intake and Exhaust Manifolds; Valve Covers; Engine Mounts; Seals and Gaskets.

TURBOCHARGER/SUPERCHARGER: (factory installed only)
Turbocharger/Supercharger Housing and all internal parts; Seals and Gaskets.

TRANSMISSION:
(Automatic or Standard) Transmission Case and all internal parts plus: Torque Converter, Flywheel/Flex Plate, Vacuum Modulator; Electronic Shift Control Unit; Shift Control Sensors; Transmission Cooler; Transmission Mounts; Oil Pan; Seals and Gaskets.

TRANSFER CASE:
Transfer Case and all internal parts; Seals and Gaskets.

DRIVE AXLE:
(Front and Rear) Drive Axle Case and all internal parts contained within the Drive Axle; Locking Hubs; Drive Shafts; Center Support Bearings; Universal Joints; Constant Velocity Joints; Axle Bearings; Four-Wheel Drive Actuator; Differential Cover; Seals and Gaskets.

STEERING:
All internal parts contained within the Steering Box; Rack and Pinion Gear; Power Steering Pump; Power Steering Hoses; Steering Knuckles; Pitman Arm; Idler Arm; Tie Rod Ends and Drag Link; Steering Dampener; Upper and Lower Steering Column Shafts and Couplings, including Internal Tilt-Wheel Mechanism; Steering Box and Rack and Pinion Gear Housings; Seals and Gaskets.
Rear Wheel Steering: Rear Steering Shaft and Couplings; Power Cylinder and Pump; Electronic Control Unit/Solenoid; Phase Control Unit; Stepper Motor; Steering Box; Control Valve; Rack; Tie Rod Ends; Seals and Gaskets.

BRAKES:
Master Cylinder; Power Brake Cylinder; Vacuum Assist Booster; Hydro Boost; Disc Brake Callipers; Wheel Cylinders; Compensating Valve; Brake Hydraulic Lines and fittings; Hydraulic Control Unit; Seals and Gaskets.
The following ABS Parts are also covered: Electronic Control Processor; Wheel Speed Sensors; Hydraulic Pump/Motor Assembly; Pressure Modulator Valve/Isolation Dump Valve; Accumulator; Seals and Gaskets.

AIR CONDITIONER:
Condenser; Compressor, Compressor Clutch and Pulley; Refrigerant Lines; Evaporator; Idler Pulley; Belt Tensioner and Idler Pulley Bearing; High/Low Compressor Cut-off Switch; Expansion Valve; Pressure Cycling Switch; Seals and Gaskets.
The following parts are also covered if they are required in connection with the repair of a covered part listed above: Accumulator/Receiver Dryer; Orifice Tube; Oil and Refrigerant.

ELECTRICAL:
Alternator; Voltage Regulator; Starter Motor; Starter Solenoid, Starter Ring Gear and Starter Drive; Engine Wiring Harness; Transmission Wiring Harness; Computerized Timing Control Unit; Powertrain Control Module; Electronic Ignition Module; Crank Angle Sensor; Cam Sensor; Knock Sensor; Ignition Switch; Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder; Front and Rear Window Wiper Motor, Pulse Wiper Delay Module; Washer Pump and Switch; Stop Lamp Switch; Headlamp Switch; Turn Signal Switch; Heater/A.C. Blower Speed Switch; Manual Heater/A.C. Control Head and Horns.

FUEL DELIVERY:
Fuel Pump; Fuel Injection Pump and Injectors; Vacuum Pump; Fuel Tank; Fuel Tank Sending Unit; Metal Fuel Delivery Lines.

FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION:
Upper and Lower Control Arms; Control Arm Shafts and Bearings or Bushings; Upper and Lower Ball Joints; Radius Arm and Bushings; Torsion Bars and Mounts or Bushings; Stabilizer Bar, Links and Bushings; Spindle and Spindle Support; Wheel Bearings. Variable Dampening Suspension Compressor, Control Module, Actuator, Solenoid, Height Sensor and Mode Selector Switch.

COOLING:
Engine Cooling Fan and Motor; Fan Clutch; Belt Tensioner; Radiator; Heater Core; Thermostat; Blower Motor; Hot Water Valve.

ENHANCED ELECTRICAL:
Automatic Climate Control Programmer; Electronic Instrument Cluster; Mileage/Kilometrage Computer; Distributor; Ignition Coil; Ignition Coil Packs, Coil Pack Housing; Oxygen Sensor; Electronic Combination Entry System (Does not include Transmitters and Receivers for Remote Locks); Cruise Control Module, Engagement Switch, Transducer, Servo and Amplifier; Headlamp Motors; Power Window Motor and Switch; Power Seat Motor and Switch; Power Mirror Motor and Switch; Power Antenna Motor/Mast Assembly; Convertible Top Motor; Factory installed Power Sunroof Motor; Rear Defogger Switch; Power Door Lock Actuator and Switch.

EXAMPLES OF NON-COVERED PARTS INCLUDE:
Carburetor, battery, shock absorbers, struts, manual transmission clutch assembly; glass, lenses, headlamps, light bulbs, fuses, upholstery, cup holders, paint, bumpers, body sheet metal, etc? Also, maintenance services and parts described in the owner's manual which include, but are not limited to: alignments, adjustments, cleaning, wheel balancing, tune-ups, spark plugs, spark plug wires, glow plugs, hoses (except steering and air conditioning), drive belts, timing belts (if not replaced at manufacturer's recommended maintenance interval), brake pads, brake linings/shoes, etc?
Please see our agreement for details.

As with every level of coverage, included with Ultimate are:

RENTAL
In the event of a covered breakdown, we will pay up to forty-five dollars per day for up to six days for a maximum of two hundred seventy dollars for each repair visit, for expenses to rent a replacement vehicle if the covered vehicle is required to be at a repair facility overnight.

TRIP INTERRUPTION
If a covered breakdown occurs more than one hundred sixty kilometres from home which results in a repair facility keeping the vehicle overnight, we will pay up to seventy-five dollars per day for up to three days for a maximum of two hundred twenty-five dollars, for motel/hotel and restaurant expenses.

TIRE ROAD HAZARD
In the event the covered vehicle's tire(s) incur damage from a road hazard, we will pay up to twenty dollars for each tire repair or if non-repairable, up to one hundred dollars for each tire replacement. Exclusions and limitations apply; please see our agreement for details.

TOWING / ROADSERVICE
In the event the covered vehicle is disabled, we will pay up to seventy-five dollars per occurrence. Coverage is limited to one occurrence per disablement.

LOST KEY / LOCKOUT
If keys for the covered vehicle are lost, broken or accidentally locked inside, we will pay up to fifty dollars for locksmith services.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 & 2018 X2

Yes. A significant repair to the engine or transmission will cost you much more than the premium. Some policies also offer a return of a portion of your premium if you do not utilize more than a certain portion of the policy while it is in place.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
darklord
Ruler of the Universe
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 Silver Merc E63 (W212)

Extended warranties are sucker bets...although many have reaped some considerable savings by buying them...at the end the Insurance guy wins because the clear majority will not.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
getInline
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Extended warranties are sucker bets...although many have reaped some considerable savings by buying them...at the end the Insurance guy wins because the clear majority will not.
Well the $2900 I spent on my Mercedes extended Warranty was very very worth it. During my extended warranty period I have gone through $15000 in warranty work. I would seriously think about it. The turbos cost around $7000 in parts and labour to replace.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
323d
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

i'd say is worth it.. + it will be a benifit if you plan to sell it privatly within the warrenty period.
      05-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Civ95
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi Touring

would be worth it if it wasn't heck to make them actually pay up when you need repairs
      05-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
sandecker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB M3 Ultimate DCT

What happens if you put a dinan flash in? Can you still get the warranty extention I wonder...I suspect probably not.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
decx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: n/a

I didn't (and don't) think the third party extended warranty is worth it. If you look closely, especially with the top tier CoverageOne warranty, some of the benefits are tied to the dealership you buy the coverage from. So if you move and have to go to another dealership, you won't get the full benefits you paid for. Personally I would've gotten the extended warranty if BMW offered it in house, but not with the third party.

I'd really wish they handled the extended warranty in house. BMW Canada used to offered their own extended warranty plans up to the mid/late 90's then switched to the third party offering. BMWNA (US) has their own plans, Mercedes-Benz Canada handles their own, why doesn't BMW?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

if u r leasing ur car then extenderd warranty is bs
but u r actually buying off this car
hell yeah u need exten warranty!!!
at least that is what i did!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

i think its worth it, i got the extended coverage for my 2000 mercedes e320, the transmission and exhaust system needed to be replaced, only God knows how much that would have costed...

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
Nikos335i
Brigadier General
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2012 B8 S4 & 2013 F30 328xi

Garage List
2012 Audi S4  [9.00]
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
2011 Audi A4 Avant  [10.00]
I would consider getting it. It adds up quickly and lets be honest these are good cars but there will be something that will go wrong at one point that will allow you to benefit from the coverage.

My wifes current car a Volvo '03 XC70 with 120K km has had a total of 3500$ in claims the extended warranty cost 1000$. Her previous Volvo had about 2500$ in claims. And my old A4 same thing claimed in excess of 3500$ also.

I do push the cars therefore will breakdown more compared to the average guy, even the wifes cars are slightly modified.
gone: '06 E61 530xi Sapphire Black/Black with aluminum/premium/panoramic sunroof/Logic7/PDC
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

id say for a 335 its worth it. But other then that id pass. I dont take it to the bmw dealer so i dont get ripped off on labor. And if sonmething needs a major repair like the transmission, ill try and score a used low milage one at a scrap yard for 1/3rd the price of the dealer rebuilt one
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
Laguna3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N55 E92 Msport

Anyone bought this extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna3 View Post
I'd like to know too... As it stands I plan to keep my car for about 7 yrs and will take the car to the track. I might have this as my winter beater by then lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Next time i am in at BMW i am going to ask how much the extended warranty is. Ill post up my findings.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #16
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna3 View Post
I bought this warranty Oct 30, 2010.

7 yrs/80 000km from in service date. $50 deductible but $0 deductible if taken to the dealer where you bought the extended warranty from.

Got a $600 discount to bring the total to $1700 after taxes.

This is the coverage one ultimate plan through BMW dealers. Haven't used it yet as it has only been a couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
bolty
/r/trees
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
7 yrs/80 000km from in service date.

What does this mean?? 7 years/80K starting after you bought the warranty??
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #18
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:

7 yrs/80 000km from in service date. $50 deductible but $0 deductible if taken to the dealer where you bought the extended warranty from.

This is the coverage one ultimate plan through BMW dealers. Haven't used it yet as it has only been a couple weeks.

Does it mean I can bring the car to a garage for repair ($50 deductible) and Coverage One still honour the warranty?

Which destinated garages are in their lists?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:

Did you read the fine print on this warranty? I'd be curious to see what it says. Insurance is ultimately a loser's bet. In a particular instance, it may pay off, but not in the long term. You'll never outsmart an insurance company - you are naive if you think you will. I have not heard good things about these extended warranties, i.e. there are tons of exclusions. I'd be curious to hear from someone that has had this insurance for more than a few years and what their experience has been with making claims. I'll likely pass on this insurance when my warranty expires in a couple of months from now.
      11-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #20
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolty View Post
What does this mean?? 7 years/80K starting after you bought the warranty??
From when the car goes into service when it was new.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #21
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZINGER View Post
Does it mean I can bring the car to a garage for repair ($50 deductible) and Coverage One still honour the warranty?

Which destinated garages are in their lists?
Any BMW dealer withing North America (Canada and USA)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #22
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
So I asked my dealer about the the extended Warranty and they currently offer Coverage One as mentioned in the first post.

However for ppl with the 2011 models BMW will be launching a BMW Extended Warranty soon, not sure when.
Appreciate 0