E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 HPFP recall issues get national news coverage

11-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #353
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
Not really considering my SA has had numerous HPFPs in failure and they have not been back

Good for him.
      11-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #354
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
OMG over and over and over.. ITS FIXED !
mines had no problems since 11k i now have 20k !
every quite whining and go get the F**CKING thing fixed for FREEE !

No issues on the N55
Ha... 9k miles does not make it fixed man get real...

I had one that lasted over 10k miles, right before the one that lasted 3k miles, which was right before the one that lasted 6k miles... I've got about 1k miles on the newest (933) and have my hopes up that this one lasts a bit longer.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #355
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Ha... 9k miles does not make it fixed man get real...

I had one that lasted over 10k miles, right before the one that lasted 3k miles, which was right before the one that lasted 6k miles... I've got about 1k miles on the newest (933) and have my hopes up that this one lasts a bit longer.
like oil changes, they will come and be serviced as required.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #356
Al Blue4.6l
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e89 Z4 sDrive35i

to evidence how little the majority of owners know/understand about such things:

I had some woman stop me on the road the day after the recall was announced. she shouted over: "did you hear about the recall on our cars? that's BS! My car never slows down like they are saying!"
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #357
Octet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, E90

Geez the election is over everybody, sounds like political discourse, rather then the fact people have real issues with there cars.

Had two HPFP's replace and its been better this time around for me.

I also had no starting symptoms and still needed to have a replacement.
Sometimes degraded performance is a symptom. And better gas in Oregon, 92 octane versus 91 in California I believe has helped. Time will tell...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #358
Nick@aep
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: E92 335i 6mt, 996 GT2

Yea.. Its about time BMW with those HPFPs.. I believe I've had 3 failures. The first 2 failed within 2-3k miles between each.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #359
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I get it...but I Am not sure you get it. This is about buying something that had a defect. One that the manufacturer knew about but did not disclose to the buyers. Then when the owners became aware of the defect and wanted the car fixed, replaced or a refund they could not get it because there was no problem. They continued to sell the car with the defect even when they knew about it. Only when the media put them in the spotlight did they acknowledge that there was a problem and they announced their "recall".
You keep talking about everyone wanting to be compensated for anything that goes wrong. Maybe they just want their money back or a different car and that is all. If I buy a tv and it turns out to be defective I take it back and exchange it or get a refund? If I spend $45,000+ on something and it is defective what do you want me to do, take the loss, c'est la vie, and just go buy somethin else? what do you do when you buy something and it doesnt work, keep it?
I do not understand why some people have such a problem with a person holding a manufacturer acountable for the quality of their product. Yes we do have the option of not buying another BMW but in the mean time we still have to deal with this one. If you feel so strongly about the quality of these cars perhaps you would like to buy a few of ours. . I am sure there are more than a couple people who would sell you one.
By the way what do you drive a 330i or ?
      11-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #360
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
I get it...but I Am not sure you get it. This is about buying something that had a defect. One that the manufacturer knew about but did not disclose to the buyers. Then when the owners became aware of the defect and wanted the car fixed, replaced or a refund they could not get it because there was no problem. They continued to sell the car with the defect even when they knew about it. Only when the media put them in the spotlight did they acknowledge that there was a problem and they announced their "recall".
You keep talking about everyone wanting to be compensated for anything that goes wrong. Maybe they just want their money back or a different car and that is all. If I buy a tv and it turns out to be defective I take it back and exchange it or get a refund? If I spend $45,000+ on something and it is defective what do you want me to do, take the loss, c'est la vie, and just go buy somethin else? what do you do when you buy something and it doesnt work, keep it?
I do not understand why some people have such a problem with a person holding a manufacturer acountable for the quality of their product. Yes we do have the option of not buying another BMW but in the mean time we still have to deal with this one. If you feel so strongly about the quality of these cars perhaps you would like to buy a few of ours. . I am sure there are more than a couple people who would sell you one.
By the way what do you drive a 330i or ?
I'm assuming you're responding to me. And yes, I drove a e46 330i before my current 335i. You want to talk about defects?! Damn my e46 had so many of them. Just go over to e46fanatics and search for

- Power steering pump ( had 2 replaced)
- Control Arm bushings ( had 3 replaced)
- Window Regulators (had 6 replaced)
- Moonroof problem (had it fixed twice)
- No reverse on A/T ( luckily never happened to me)
- Drain leak ( made my car smell like ass)
- Oil gasket leak ( leaked oil all the time)
- Radiator hose leak ( bitch blew while I was on the highway lol. Talk about a smoke screen had to coast home)
- Alternator (mine gave and put me in limp mode, I didn't panic, yes I was on the freeway but I put my hazards on and slowly made my way to the
shoulder)

My mom's x5 had the transmission replaced twice and her interior kept falling apart, oh and we replaced 4 window regulators on that one.

Bmw's aren't perfect, this is why they come with WARRANTY( actually I think this is something all cars come with these days). If you don't like the quality of your car or feel so threatened that it will leave you going up a 45 degree hill and no brakes, then sell it, trade it in. Quite simple really. My mom had a Ford Explorer when the whole firestone thing was going on. We didn't feel comfortable with my mom driving it so we traded it in for her x5. Did we demand a buy back or compensation? No.

Hell even my dad's brand new f150 had a defect, the 3rd brake light wasn't sealed right from the factory, damn truck became a pool in a rain storm.

My toyota tundra had the infamous run away problem, pfft talk about media hype. The dash sank, the bed would bounce, the rear end would clunk. Would I buy another one? Fuck yeah! If she wasn't getting 8mpg I probably would have kept my big betty too..
      11-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #361
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

Just to clarify, I am not saying all cars don't have issues that pop up from time to time, I'm not expecting my new X5 to not have issues with the windows, or tires, or even the lights eventually... BUT what I am saying is that, you would think on a new car, these problems won't show up after 300 miles... BUT with the HPFP the issues are showing up immediately, sometimes right at the dealership. I don't want compensation (although I'll take it if offered) but I do want a part that won't show symptoms of failure right from the get go, that's where my problem lies with all of this. Problems and Issues will always eventually show up, but they shouldn't be showing up after 300 miles (regardless if they are covered by warranty).

What if your on the road, and your HPFP goes out, now imagine your driving in an area where the closest BMW dealership is a few hundred miles away, how are you going to feel, what thoughts are going through your mind in that instance. "FUCK, my HPFP just went out and it's going to take HOURS before someone gets to me to help... Now imagine you are transporting time sensitive materials/documents (which I do sometimes), now I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere because my HPFP just failed... Not like I can tell my employer, "yeah my hpfp failed, sorry I couldn't deliver the stuff in time." "your fired", or if your rushing your wife to the hospital and the HPFP fails, or your competing on the track, doing 120 or whatever, and everyone else is doing 120 behind you (not that BMW condones tracking your car), or... The list goes on. Great, thanks a bunch BMW..

Of course these are over the top situations, but it could happen... I should, or rather we as the consumer base for BMW, shouldn't have to worry about this (atleast not within the first 0-2k miles... Yeah some owners have been lucky and haven't had this issue, and for them thats great, but for those of us who have dealt with this issue, it's not fun, and for some of us, it's really hard to take the time out to take a car in to get a part replaced... Some of us have jobs that don't really care if your HPFP failed, and you can't get to work, 50-100 miles from home. "Get to work somehow, you can deal with your car situation on the weekend." And as we all know, some dealership service departments are not open on weekends.

All I'm asking is for BMW to create a pump that won't fail for atleast 20k miles, 50k miles would be better... I know parts fail, and the HPFP should be no different, but it shouldn't be failing after 0 miles, 600 miles, or even 8k miles. Is that so hard to ask for?

I'm done with this thread, and think the MODS should close it, as it's just become a back and forth futile effort to convince one or the other that the HPFP issue is moot or not, and the N55 is the fix all for all our BMW woes or not..

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune

Last edited by D.B.S; 11-05-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #362
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
I'm done with this thread, and think the MODS should close it, as it's just become a back and forth futile effort to convince one or the other that the HPFP issue is moot, and the N55 is the fix all for all our BMW woes..

AGREED! CLOSE IT FELLAS
Dont beat a dead horse
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #363
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep
Drives: Slow

Garage List
Pretty sure the N55 isn't the fix.
      11-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #364
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm done with this thread, and think the MODS should close it, as it's just become a back and forth futile effort to convince one or the other that the HPFP issue is moot, and the N55 is the fix all for all our BMW woes..

AGREED! CLOSE IT FELLAS
Dont beat a dead horse
OK, I am thinking that he is just being sarcastic now. No way can a person be this out of touch.
      11-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #365
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328 View Post
12k miles here and still holding strong
      11-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #366
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328 View Post

Well if that is the case, then I guess I will be getting a new N55 installed when I get my recall letter....Kinda sucks to take a step back from the beast that my N54 is. But hey, a fix is a fix.
      11-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #367
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
7k miles on my N54 and still holding strong.
      11-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #368
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep
Drives: Slow

Garage List
Quote:
There's hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
Well if that is the case, then I guess I will be getting a new N55 installed when I get my recall letter....Kinda sucks to take a step back from the beast that my N54 is. But hey, a fix is a fix.
I got my 933 installed around 35k-ish and I'm now at 45k and going strong. Fingers crossed.... yikes.
      11-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #369
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
They won't be giving you a new engine :facepalm:
      11-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #370
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They won't be giving you a new engine :facepalm:

I was being facetious.
      11-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #371
Ibinco
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Reporting in from Holland guys! My E91 335i HPFP has died. Its at the dealers, hopefully i will get new turbos aswell. It sounds like a diesel in the mornings :S the wastegates rattle madly!

You guys in NA are at least lucky that BMW has acknowledged the problem. Here at the dealers they rather not talk about a recall.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #372
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Unhappy

Quote:

AGREED! CLOSE IT FELLAS
Dont beat a dead horse
As a newb to this forum, the back and forth in this thread is actually helping to educate me on how a lot of owners (rightly or wrongly) perceive their personal experience. It's saving me a lot of search time and maybe some other newbs from starting multiple threads - given the recent news coverage, as well.

You owe me $0.02...

Plus, this thread probably is generating a ton of hits right now. From a site management point of view, may want to keep that draw interactive.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 04:58 AM   #373
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

For those that were around for the 29.2 fun, does any of this seem familiar to you? Kind of deja vu feeling?