E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Definitive answer?? - coated leater seats - cleaning and coniditoning

05-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
ny330xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Definitive answer?? - coated leater seats - cleaning and coniditoning

There are a lot of threads on here (they seem to pop up once a month) offering product recommendations for cleaning/conditioning leather seats (Lexol, Leatherique, etc.). But most all seems to be oil based products.

I'm under the impression that the Dakota leather seats are coated and therefore won't accept an oil based cleaner/conditioner, and instead require a water based product.

It would be very helpful, I think, if this could be definitively answered and then stickied, so that (assuming that the seats are coated) people can stop wasting time and money on ineffective products and the misinformation can stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

Yeah that would be helpful but it's not gonna happen. People can argue about coated leather on these forums forever without reaching a definitive answer... just one of those things.

Here's my method for whatever it's worth... I think it makes sense whether anything's getting through to the leather or not.

1. wipe leather down with damp microfiber towel once a month or so. That cleans it at least (and if anything gets through to the leather, hydrates it)
2. every 3 months or so, clean with a gently water-based cleaner and a soft brush. That gets rid of any build up and preps for the next step.
3. right after brush cleaning and drying, apply a water-based polymer protectant (like Sonus leather conditioner or optimum's leather protectant). The idea here is to use something that creates a protective barrier that blocks some UV maybe, keeps dirt from sticking, etc.

Pretty sure if you do that your leather will look great for a long time. In fact I bet you could get away with a lot less.
      05-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

I use griots and it's great...leaves the leather clean and smooth with no hint of oil or shine
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
DMH-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Clean with Gliptone Leather Cleaner and a nail brush.

Protect with Gtechniq L1.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
ny330xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Space Grey View Post
Yeah that would be helpful but it's not gonna happen. People can argue about coated leather on these forums forever without reaching a definitive answer... just one of those things.

Here's my method for whatever it's worth... I think it makes sense whether anything's getting through to the leather or not.

1. wipe leather down with damp microfiber towel once a month or so. That cleans it at least (and if anything gets through to the leather, hydrates it)
2. every 3 months or so, clean with a gently water-based cleaner and a soft brush. That gets rid of any build up and preps for the next step.
3. right after brush cleaning and drying, apply a water-based polymer protectant (like Sonus leather conditioner or optimum's leather protectant). The idea here is to use something that creates a protective barrier that blocks some UV maybe, keeps dirt from sticking, etc.

Pretty sure if you do that your leather will look great for a long time. In fact I bet you could get away with a lot less.
Based on the posts/threads that I've read which appeared to be the most fact-based, this seems to the best course of treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
I use griots and it's great...leaves the leather clean and smooth with no hint of oil or shine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH-01 View Post
Clean with Gliptone Leather Cleaner and a nail brush.

Protect with Gtechniq L1.
These products are both oil based and wouldn't be effective on coated leater. I wish someone could say for certain that BMW uses treated leather for it's Dakota seats. I've read that this is the case for 98% of OEM leather.

I've always used Lexol cleaner/conditioner in the past, but have found the leather isn't as soft as I'd like on this car. I'm going to be moving to a regimen similar to SF Space Grey's and see if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
DMH-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Majority of modern leather is coated.

The combo I mentioned works for me, it's what I use on all my details.

Also have a look at Dr Leather wipes/spray.
Appreciate 0