E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > September 11, 2001 10yr anniversary

09-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #23
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
freshman year in a programming class (lab)

teacher put up CNN on the projector when the first pictures came out.. he commented "must have been one drunk ass pilot!" we all laughed and shrugged it off...

we're Canadians though...
the second plane hadn't hit yet
We definitely had a similar "wtf, this had to be a mistake, technical failure" sentiment permeating, whether because we didn't know what to think or were just struggling for an explanation or whatever, but seeing the second one hit live, all those thoughts pretty much vanished...it was clearly orchestrated by someone
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #24
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

I was in middle school second year.(13) I remember my teacher said something had happened in NY. The school had TVs installed in each room and there was cable. So my teach turned on the TV to see what was going on. Only thing I remember from the tv was one town was on fire/ smoke and the other had not been hit yet...My teacher kept going in and out of the class room. then when the second one got hit, there was a message on the PA school system. I don't remember what they said... I think some of the girls in my class started crying...

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #25
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

I walked into the gym at work, and no one was working out/exercising but rather fixated to the TV. It was then I saw the towers on fire, and I watched in disbelief.

It's strange yet sad how we remember exactly where we were when tragedy strikes. I can remember exactly where I was/what I was doing when the Challenger exploded too
      09-11-2011, 03:18 AM   #26
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

the thing that gives me the chills the most is watching both towers fall live on tv. everything went silent. i think the world was speechless at that point.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #27
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Y'all are young

I was 38. Me and the wife were going to the dentist for a cleaning. We drove separately and I was listening in the parking lot to 98 Rock - the KML show for anyone around here that remembers that. Lopez announced that a plane had flown into the WTC. I didn't think much about it thinking it was a Cessna and walked into the dentist. He had pulled out a small TV and had it on the counter and we watched as the second plane hit and we all know the rest.

I know that many young people never experienced the WTC in person. I went up to the top of it in the 80s the only thing I can tell you is that each tower was freakin huge - much bigger than they look on TV. Each building was 200' x 200' - an acre per floor! While I have seen them collapsing many many times, I can't really imagine what it was actually like when each came down - 110 acres of concrete and steel. Times two! It must have been like hell.

I will watch the tributes with my family, explain it to my 14 year old and then get ready for some Ravens Steelers football.

My thoughts go out to anyone affected.
2016 F10 535i M Sport

Last edited by SteveMD; 09-11-2011 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #28
bigtex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 - sold

I was living 15 minutes outside of NYC at the time. I remember my assistant running in saying that a plane crashed into a tower. As my dad worked two blocks away and was frequently in the tower I tried calling him to make certain all was ok. No response as lines were busy. Therefore I left work and proceeded home to be with family while awaiting word from my dad. On way home I passed several schools packed with cars running and doors left open while parents ran in to get kids open. Very sad. I got home just as second plane hit. I am one of the fortunate ones that got word that my dad was ok. Unfortunately many in the town I lived in were no so fortunate. Although I now live in tx I will never forget all those that lost their lives that day, especially the heroes who have up their lives to help others. Please Never forget!
      09-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #29
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

I'm viewing the original news broadcast on NBC. It's difficult to watch, even 10 years later. Never Forget.
      09-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #30
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

I was in 9th grade in health class(first period), when my teacher came into class and suddenly turned on the tv. Being the kids we were we all got so excited. He got very upset and told the class I dont want a peep. When he turned the TV on, we were all in SHOCK at what was going on. I dont think I heard a voice the whole hour. Ive been watching the ceremony the whole morning, and Im deeply touched for everyones loss. God bless all the families, its so so sounforunate.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #31
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

thought i share this with you guys, made me tear up. god bless the usa

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/beyo...s-911-14493718
      09-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #32
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioaltec View Post
thought i share this with you guys, made me tear up. god bless the usa

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/beyo...s-911-14493718
She has an amazing voice!

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #33
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutballa View Post
She has an amazing voice!
well she is the queen Beyonce, you should listen to her sing it live!

09-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #34
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I was in 6th grade at the time. My dad had an 8am meeting on the 89th floor of tower 2 that day.
So understandably everyone in my family thought he was dead for several hours until he could get a call out.

It turned out my sister was late to school and he had to drive her (we went to a private school about 30 minutes away)
He rescheduled the meeting to 9:30, so everyone there got coffee. My sister not being able to get ready on time saved the lives of over a dozen people. Go figure.

Theres a picture of one of the engines of a 747 in a pickup truck like the engine fell into the truck. That truck belonged to one of my dad's associates that was supposed to be in that meeting.

But I spent today at Six Flags with my GF...it was scary empty. No more than a 5 minute wait for anything and most rides were walk ons

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #35
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I was in 6th grade at the time. My dad had an 8am meeting on the 89th floor of tower 2 that day.
So understandably everyone in my family thought he was dead for several hours until he could get a call out.

It turned out my sister was late to school and he had to drive her (we went to a private school about 30 minutes away)
He rescheduled the meeting to 9:30, so everyone there got coffee. My sister not being able to get ready on time saved the lives of over a dozen people. Go figure.

Theres a picture of one of the engines of a 747 in a pickup truck like the engine fell into the truck. That truck belonged to one of my dad's associates that was supposed to be in that meeting.

But I spent today at Six Flags with my GF...it was scary empty. No more than a 5 minute wait for anything and most rides were walk ons
Crazy story, thank god for girls taking there time to get ready sometimes.

Glad your dad is ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #36
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

11th Grade.. Was in history class. Friend of mine walked into the class room because he was on free period and interrupted the class to say what had just happened. We turned on the T.V and watched the second plane hit and then moved into the library to watch the for the next 2 hours or so as family members and friends were taken before our eyes.

I will never forget the smell/haze the next day. It changed every American's life whether they are aware of it or not.
      09-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #37
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I had a pretty awesome class schedule that first semester of my sophomore year in college. Tuesdays I got to sleep in a bit since my first class was at 10am CST. I was woken up early to the news and watched the towers burning on TV. About an hour or so after their collapse, I drove to school in a rush to make it to class on time. The whole campus was dead silent and obviously all classes were cancelled that day.

Funny how I can remember that day vividly yet not remember what I did last week.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #38
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I remember I read in Maxim, the creator of Family Guy - Seth MacFarlane was suppose to be on American Flight 11 from Boston on that day. He had a hangover and missed the flight.

Quote:
On the morning of September 11, 2001, MacFarlane was scheduled to return to Los Angeles on American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston, Massachusetts. Suffering from a hangover from the previous night's celebrations, and with an incorrect departure time (8:15 a.m. instead of 7:45 a.m.) from his travel agent, he arrived at Logan International Airport about ten minutes too late to board the flight as the gates had been closed. Fifteen minutes after departure, American Airlines Flight 11 was hijacked, and at 8:46 a.m. was flown into the North Tower of the World Trade Center, obliterating the airplane, and killing everyone on board.

In an interview with TVShowsOnDVD.com, MacFarlane said the following about his close call:
“The only reason it hasn't really affected me as it maybe could have is I didn't really know that I was in any danger until after it was over, so I never had that panic moment. After the fact, it was sobering, but people have a lot of close calls; you're crossing the street and you almost get hit by a car... this one just happened to be related to something massive. I really can't let it affect me because I'm a comedy writer. I have to put that in the back of my head.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Ma...001_experience
      09-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #39
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Great Lakes Recriut Training Command- had no exposure to televisions at the time.
News spread around word of mouth. "We're going to war, America has been attacked"
Stayed in the Navy for an additional 10 years. Finishing my enlistment in this month.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #40
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
I was 28 at the time, working in the Air Force in one of the NORAD air defense sectors. We normally worked 8 hour shifts but were on 12's for a week due to an exercise. That was the first official day of the exercise. I was getting ready for work at McChord Air Force Base in Washington state when I got a call from my supervisor explaining what happened and to just show up to work like normal and ready to do my job. It was an utterly shocking situation.

Once I got to work we got busy working with the FAA to get every general aviation and commercial aircraft out of the air. Considering there are thousands airborne at a time we did it very quickly, just a few hours. Everyone that I was used to joking around with every day was deadly serious. There was a sense of urgency among us all...this job that always seemed routine was now a first line of defense in keeping further aircraft from being used as weapons. We worked 7 days on 3 days off for the next 4 months. That was brutal, but not a lot of people complained.

I spent yesterday (9/11/11) at one of the air defense sectors on another 12 hour shift. We all had a similar sense of urgency. Our equipment is light years ahead of back then, as is our ability to respond and our connectivity with federal and local agencies. Thats all because of 9/11.

One of the guys that works for me was 9 when it happened, he was in New York at the time. So young. He spent yesterday guarding the skies over New York. I think thats pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #41
eaglesfan83
FIRE TOEZ!!!!!
Rep
Drives: Pending Order

Garage List
I was a freshman in college in CT. Between classes was sitting reading some history stuff and chatting up a girl in my class when the news came across. Saw the second plane hit shortly after. Classes were cancelled and I went back to my apartment called out of work. Enlisted in the Army about 10 days later.

10 years and 5 deployments later and I spent the day in Afghanistan taking it to them and getting the word later in the night the Eagles won.
Pending- Something New and BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #42
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I was a senior when it happened. I went to school not knowing anything about the attack. When I walked into my classroom people were listening to the radio and talking in hush tones. Didn't know WTF happened for a couple mins. Soon after they canceled class for the rest of the day. Went home to watch TV. Same thing on every channel.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #43
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

http://lightbox.time.com/2011/09/08/...d-them-most/#1

I cried

couple of those photos really hit you
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #44
BTM