E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > E9x 328i Brake work - Need some good avice.

12-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

E9x 328i Brake work - Need some good avice.

My E93 328i's front and somewhat rear brake pads ( rotors as well) are due.
The car is at around 64k miles.
I will go for all 4 sides in one go.
BMW dealership quoted $1200 for front+rear rotors, pads & sensors.This price includes labor and tax.

I went to check with M.D. Motorwerke in Somerdale NJ. Their quote is as following.)
1. $1000 + Tax (probably $70-80) if I get brakes from them.
2. $500 labor if I get my own brakes.

I was suprised why would this shop quote almost similar price as of the dealership. why would someone go to this shop just to save $120 or just 10% ??

Can someone please recommend a good shop around South Jersey area to get the brake work done with somewhat better price.
If I'm going to get similar quote, I will stick with BMW dealership.

I would really appreciate if someone can point me to rotor/pads brands which are OEM. I've done a lot of search on this forum, still not sure about the brand names.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
$1,000 really isn't bad. The parts for rotors and pads & sensors will run you $600 or so, and a full brake job will take a couple of hours, so it's really only about $100 per hr labor which is reasonable. I do brakes myself (it is easy but messy) so I don't pay for labor.

EDIT: Just to clarify, you want to buy OE pads that are not in the BMW box? Go on ECStuning.com. They are a supporting vendor here and they can help you with this.
      12-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
$1,000 really isn't bad. The parts for rotors and pads & sensors will run you $600 or so, and a full brake job will take a couple of hours, so it's really only about $100 per hr labor which is reasonable. I do brakes myself (it is easy but messy) so I don't pay for labor.

EDIT: Just to clarify, you want to buy OE pads that are not in the BMW box? Go on ECStuning.com. They are a supporting vendor here and they can help you with this.
Thanks man. The info is helpful.
My friend with similar car is also looking to replace the brakes.
We are talking about DIO (doing it ourselves) :-).
I will not go to outside shop just to save $100. Dealership is better in that case and I can also get a loaner
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Thanks man. The info is helpful.
My friend with similar car is also looking to replace the brakes.
We are talking about DIO (doing it ourselves) :-).
I will not go to outside shop just to save $100. Dealership is better in that case and I can also get a loaner
Anytime. Not sure how handy you are but as long as you have the right tools (sockets, torque wrench, jack and stands) it is really quite easy (if a bit dirty) and quite satisfying to tackle it yourself. There are helpful DIY videos on bavauto.com. The car in the videos is an E36 M3 but all BMW brakes are essentially the same except for slightly different socket sizes, etc.