E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Possible New Owner, Help!

11-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Basu
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 45th

Possible New Owner, Help!

So my first car has been a 2012 Camaro SS and Im looking at making a possible trade for a BMW. I am looking for something a little less flashy, as well as more gas efficient and save me from my sky high insurance rates. Also Camaros have been popping up everywhere. Im looking at the BMW 335i or 135i. Sedan or coupe. Ive seen and read all of the ways that the n54 can be modded for crazy power so I wont miss out too much on my 425 horses.

My question is, as a first time bmw owner what specific packages or things should I be looking at for these cars? Im looking at between 2009 and 2010 cars to get the n54. Also is the coupe any faster than the sedan and which transmission is faster?

Sorry for the paragraphs, I know forum members hate that but thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Well,

How much are you really saving by going to the 335 on insurance rates?

The n54 is a great motor while having decent mpgs and great power. But like anything else.. you add more ponies you lose a litt bit mpgs. But you keep your foot out of the throttle you still can get great mpgs on turbo cars.

How flashy is your dime a dozen camero anyway.. haha. J/K.

You can get a CPO fully loaded BMW 335i for a great price, I wouldn't settle for anything else. Cold weather package you could really do without, unless you have a woman who loves.the heated seats.

Sports package is nice, a tiny bit lower in stance and get the power multi way seats.

Not much difference between the coupe and sedan, don't know the weight difference. More if a preference, coupes have the rope lighting inside which is nice. They hold their value better. And you get handed the seat belt, literally.

AT have more Tq down low, and with the 6 speed the AT is pretty sweet. Not sure which models have the DCT tranny, but that'll be the one to get.

MT, is great, not much help from me, don't have one.

Logic 7 and idrive is a nice setup also.

Oh by getting a CPO, your recalls will all be completed and a additional 2 yr or 50k miles limited.warranty.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI

Last edited by VNeBLOB42; 11-08-2012 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
forever_speed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i Jet Black

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Honestly, i suggest you just keep the Camaro its an animal. Obviously from what you have stated is you want power. You wont be able to get the power you are talking without a lot of money and sacrificing the gas mpg on the bmw.
      11-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The 2010 has a terrible base stereo and early 2011

The 2010 has a terrible base stereo, avoid at all costs.
get the sport package and the premium package .
If you don't want to modify the stereo get the L7 stereo
Gas mileage isn't that good except on the highway on long cruises.
If you get the 335 and you keep the car a long time expect to have to
change out the turbo hardware at some point . Also since its a DI engine the valves will have to be cleaned at some point . This valve cleaning is a DI side effect and is not BMW unique.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
cb2188
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_speed View Post
Honestly, i suggest you just keep the Camaro its an animal. Obviously from what you have stated is you want power. You wont be able to get the power you are talking without a lot of money and sacrificing the gas mpg on the bmw.
^ This. If you are looking for power you will be spending thousands just to try and get a 335i or 135i up to the 425hp your camaro has.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
Basu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Yeah I know seriously... I mean for a 17 year old I get alot of weird stares, and most of my friends have bmws anyways, mostly e90/92 328is though. But thats another reason for my want to trade. The e90s are pretty played out too but some nice mods go a long way. And is the m/sport package a much needed option? A big reason why I chose bmw was for the aftermarket support and would it be easy if say I forgo the sport package to makeup for it with aftermarker or oem parts?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
Basu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_speed View Post
Really? I was under the impression of some research and 1/4 mile times that a simple cobb reflash tune and a DCI would blow away my camaro? oh and Im running the l99 auto engine btw with only 400. I just have a CAI, airscoop and ported throttle body to makeup for the difference.

Are the mods that expensive? I thought that the Cobb 700$, FMIC, 1000$ and DCI 300$ and cat removal would put me in the mid to low 12s for 1/4 mile
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
Basu
Rep

And thanks alot for the replies everyone, Its good to have a helpful forum to post on.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basu
Quote:
Yeah I know seriously... I mean for a 17 year old I get alot of weird stares, and most of my friends have bmws anyways, mostly e90/92 328is though. But thats another reason for my want to trade. The e90s are pretty played out too but some nice mods go a long way. And is the m/sport package a much needed option? A big reason why I chose bmw was for the aftermarket support and would it be easy if say I forgo the sport package to makeup for it with aftermarker or oem parts?
Damn...your seventeen with a Camero SS. Lucky you; drive safe buddy.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
MattMD
E9X > Everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 Corvette Z51

Stock for stock a 335 is dead even with an SS to 60. SS gains ~.3-.4 seconds in the 1/4.

I'd recommemd iDrive. They changed it in 09, it has a great navigation system and huge HDD for tons of music. Find a color combo you like, there's so many options.

Did you buy your SS or did your parents? If you did, how did you make it happen? Jc.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basu View Post
Camaros have been popping up everywhere. Im looking at the BMW 335i or 135i.
Not sure where you are but here if you're seeking uniqueness, a BMW 3-series would be the last thing you'd want! The place is littered with 'em.

Options... iDrive is nice - be beware that you'll get spoiled having in-dash nav. If you have an iphone be sure to look for the 6FL option (USB + AUX under center armrest). I'd definitely aim for the Sport option, M-Sport if you want the additional visual details. Seat heaters are nice on a cold morning even in a sedan or coupe.

Quote:
Sorry for the paragraphs, I know forum members hate that but thank you!
No, paragraphs (and punctuation) are good things and much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Um....

Guys it does not costs thousands. And that 425 was most likely crank.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
M tech package is very nice.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
Basu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Low Key OG View Post
Stock for stock a 335 is dead even with an SS to 60. SS gains ~.3-.4 seconds in the 1/4.

I'd recommemd iDrive. They changed it in 09, it has a great navigation system and huge HDD for tons of music. Find a color combo you like, there's so many options.

Did you buy your SS or did your parents? If you did, how did you make it happen? Jc.
Hmm... Ive gotten some pulls on a stock 335i while I was stock on a closed course and I had about 2 car lengths on him by 60. Maybe MT?
And is there any specific interior that take wear and tear a little less?
And is the paint strong? I have a metallic black now and it scratches if anything touches it at all, even after a wax.

Sorry for all the questions hahahah, Im pretty new to this.

And well I have a job and I paid for the downpayment and first year of payments and my dad took over after that, now that Im busy with school and college apps I have less time to work.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
Basu
Rep

Quote:
Um....

Guys it does not costs thousands. And that 425 was most likely crank.
Hahah, yeah the 425 is crank. Around 360 rwhp. Would that be equivalent to a stage 2? And how much money would that take?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Hahah, yeah the 425 is crank. Around 360 rwhp. Would that be equivalent to a stage 2? And how much money would that take?
not too much, google/search jb4+ and you should be pretty happy with the results
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
I went the COOB AP route for various reasons. To avoid another tune war, I'll keep ky reasons to myself.

I have a Pro E-Tune COBB S1+ @ 400+ whp. To be safe, I've added approx. 130 whp and wtq from stock.

Mods to support that are

COBB
DCI
ETS FMIC
Pro Tune E50 (50% ethanol) MAP by Pro Tuning Freaks

Check out my thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746740

Essentially, you really don't need much to get up there with the big boys.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
Basu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42
Quote:
I went the COOB AP route for various reasons. To avoid another tune war, I'll keep ky reasons to myself.

I have a Pro E-Tune COBB S1+ @ 400+ whp. To be safe, I've added approx. 130 whp and wtq from stock.

Mods to support that are

COBB
DCI
ETS FMIC
Pro Tune E50 (50% ethanol) MAP by Pro Tuning Freaks

Check out my thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746740

Essentially, you really don't need much to get up there with the big boys.
About how much did that cost you overall? And do you have any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #19
Basu
Rep

And does anyone think its not worth the trade? Turns out I wouldn't have to trade but I would have both cars but the 335i/135i would be my daily driver and what I would take to college and my dad would just pay me back for the Camaro and take it under his name. I know this is a bimmer forum but what's your opinion for both cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

If you are worried about insurance rates I doubt you will save anything moving from a Camaro SS to a BMW. Parts are more expensive for BMW, and the value is higher in general.

By the way, I drove all the newer muscle cars (Mustang GT 5.0, Challenger R/T, Camaro SS), and other than the fact I liked the Camaro the LEAST, the feeling of a BMW is just completely different. Even if the numbers on paper of the muscle cars are better, the overall completeness and refinement of a BMW is something that cannot be beaten.

Keep in mind that in general, a sedan will be cheaper to insure than a coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
Basu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphss
If you are worried about insurance rates I doubt you will save anything moving from a Camaro SS to a BMW. Parts are more expensive for BMW, and the value is higher in general.

By the way, I drove all the newer muscle cars (Mustang GT 5.0, Challenger R/T, Camaro SS), and other than the fact I liked the Camaro the LEAST, the feeling of a BMW is just completely different. Even if the numbers on paper of the muscle cars are better, the overall completeness and refinement of a BMW is something that cannot be beaten.

Keep in mind that in general, a sedan will be cheaper to insure than a coupe.
V8 to v6 and 120 less Hp won't decrease my rate? And yeah I've kind of realized that and wish I got a used e92 m3 instead of getting my car new... I've rode in a couple of my friends and it doesn't have the raw power of my car but it just had an overall feeling of good attention to detail and quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

Quote:
V8 to v6 and 120 less Hp won't decrease my rate? And yeah I've kind of realized that and wish I got a used e92 m3 instead of getting my car new... I've rode in a couple of my friends and it doesn't have the raw power of my car but it just had an overall feeling of good attention to detail and quality.
No, won't necessarily decrease your rate. But a 4-door will reduce it compared to a 2-door, if talking about the same car e90 vs e92/e93.

I can tell you that the power and flexibility of the Mustang GT 5.0 engine is incredible. Overall the car impressed me a lot for the old fashioned low tech thing that it is, and since it comes with an LSD and possible Recaro seats, I was actually seriously consider getting a 2013 Mustang GT or Boss 302...

I ended up buying my current 2009 335i M-Sport instead (for about the same price as a new Mustang GT premium). I don't regret it.
My BMW is basically better in everything, steering, brakes, transmission, quality, and for me one of the most important things was the sound system (Logic7) and HD radio. It is one of the best sounding systems I heard in a car, fully customizable. The Mustang had terrible sound even with the best stereo.
Appreciate 0