E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Dealership vs Indy hourly rates

02-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Dealership vs Indy hourly rates

Hey guys,

I have read several times that indy prices are better than dealership's. However I've called several places around the orlando area and the labor cost is equal if not more than the dealership cost on maintenance items.

For example I called one indy to check how much they will charge for swapping out spark plugs (taking my own) and they quoted me $145 just for labor. Field's labor was $100 broken down on the work order if I had gone with them. Similarly a different Indy quoted be around $125. I will be doing it myself but was curious and calling around with the thought if its around $60 I might just get it done vs spend time to do it.

Where do you guys take your cars and get such good prices? I am assuming on big ticket items the Indy probably gives the customer a break.

Thanks
      02-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
FloridaBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

some indy shops are great like Eurowerks and Velos Designwerks while others charge more than the BMW dealers themselves! It's always baffled us why some indy shops charge more when they don't have half the tools the BMW dealers do let alone the level of customer service and accommodations when you take your car in for service.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
JTILAK07
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 CR.

Garage List
That $100 the dealership quoted you was just so they can get the job in man. After that they would end up charging you no less then $250. Happened to me down south at lauderdale bmw. Took my car in for a no start problem. They told me it would be $375 to have it checked. When I went to pick the vehicle up my bill was $806.29 and they didn't even fix anything.
      02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
teleopti
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTILAK07 View Post
That $100 the dealership quoted you was just so they can get the job in man. After that they would end up charging you no less then $250. Happened to me down south at lauderdale bmw. Took my car in for a no start problem. They told me it would be $375 to have it checked. When I went to pick the vehicle up my bill was $806.29 and they didn't even fix anything.
Really?! I've taken both of our BMWs to Lauderdale and never ever had anything like that happen and my family has been going there for over 10 years. It even says on the blue forms you fill out that Lauderdale will contact you for approval of work if the total cost exceeds $100.00 of the estimate you were given.

Also I highly doubt they charged you $806.29 and didn't even fix anything....

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
JTILAK07
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 CR.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleopti View Post
Really?! I've taken both of our BMWs to Lauderdale and never ever had anything like that happen and my family has been going there for over 10 years. It even says on the blue forms you fill out that Lauderdale will contact you for approval of work if the total cost exceeds $100.00 of the estimate you were given.

Also I highly doubt they charged you $806.29 and didn't even fix anything....

They did. There's no reason for me to lie man. They checked the car. Called with suggestions and prices to what they think might fix the problem(since we couldn't figure problem out at my repair facilty). Denied all work. They stated they pulled front end off of vehicle to check it which was why they charged me more. Checked bolts/screws/etc for removal and indeed was true they removed front end.
      02-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTILAK07 View Post
They did. There's no reason for me to lie man. They checked the car. Called with suggestions and prices to what they think might fix the problem(since we couldn't figure problem out at my repair facilty). Denied all work. They stated they pulled front end off of vehicle to check it which was why they charged me more. Checked bolts/screws/etc for removal and indeed was true they removed front end.
That's weird. My situation was different as I went in for the gasket fix under cpo warranty and got oil changed which was around $89 which is still cheaper than many Indy's in the area. Even if I did it myself I might have saved $10 maybe but not worth the hassle. I guess I will chalk it down to fields pricing being relatively competitive.
      02-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBimmer View Post
some indy shops are great like Eurowerks and Velos Designwerks while others charge more than the BMW dealers themselves! It's always baffled us why some indy shops charge more when they don't have half the tools the BMW dealers do let alone the level of customer service and accommodations when you take your car in for service.
Yep. That's what I have concluded as well. Good to know I was not the only one scratching my head on this. Thanks.
      02-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Some things the dealership uses as loss leaders, like oil changes. If you're not familiar with this it means they break even or even lose money on the job just to get you in the door. After that they either try to get you to do other items right then and there or hope you don't shop around later when you need the thing done that will be double what an indy shop is. It's quite an effective tactic.
      02-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
kudos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

There is a certain popular independent shop here in Tampa that charges more than local BMW shops. I know specifically their oil changes are like $10-$20 or so more.