E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Non-turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > WTB: OBX headers

04-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6 speed

WTB: OBX headers

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Looking for a set of obx headers new or used. PM me if you have some.

To fit non-turbo n52.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Mark06
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 330i

Exclamation Do not buy!

Do not buy them. OBX says they fit but they do not. The 1-3 header does not clear the engine mount and the 4-6 header does not line up properly with the engine. On top of this they are poorly made.
Attached Images

05-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
Rep

Did you buy them? Either way they are a much cheaper alternative than any other headers out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedbimmer View Post
Did you buy them? Either way they are a much cheaper alternative than any other headers out there.
Are you seriously suggesting that headers that flat out don't fit or work right but are cheap are better than no headers at all?

Search the forums about these headers. You would literally be buying a headache. I can sell you some civic headers that also won't fit your car for EVEN CHEAPER!

Sorry for being a dick but really save your money. I'm a dick who just saved you from throwing out your cash. I can live with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
Rep

I already know they don't bolt in without any trouble. It isn't that difficult to get them to work. I read up on them, Gavin said they take six hours to install including the modifications, my local shop quoted me 4 hours on an install for headers, without the modifications, so I'm paying two extra labor hours to get a set of headers for $400 shipped, when the next set is a $1000? I only have to pay an extra $190 in labor so I'm paying $970 installed vs. $1380 installed, thats a pretty big difference, and I was also searching for a second hand set of headers which would further bring down the cost. I wasn't asking for an opinion about the headers, I was asking to find a used set. So go hassle someone else.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
I already know they don't bolt in without any trouble. It isn't that difficult to get them to work. I read up on them, Gavin said they take six hours to install including the modifications, my local shop quoted me 4 hours on an install for headers, without the modifications, so I'm paying two extra labor hours to get a set of headers for $400 shipped, when the next set is a $1000? I only have to pay an extra $190 in labor so I'm paying $970 installed vs. $1380 installed, thats a pretty big difference, and I was also searching for a second hand set of headers which would further bring down the cost. I wasn't asking for an opinion about the headers, I was asking to find a used set. So go hassle someone else.
I wasn't trying to hassle anyone man. Sorry you took it that way. I was hoping to prevent you from spending what I now know is $970 on a set of low quality headers modified to fit apparently. That $1380 is more and I agree its a lot more, but I'd rather save up for a quality part or just not get headers than something that I got just because it was the cheapest. I've done that in the past and seen it done so many times. Its never worth it. I thought it was helpful advice

Be sure to post your result if/when you actually go through with this. For where to find them? Ebay. They have them listed there. That's generally where I hear of people getting them since a lot of reputable parts dealers won't sell parts that don't work 100% of the time by design.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
Rep

yeah I definately will, and not to mention, I thought Gavin's were $1000 + install which is what I calculated, but apparently they are $1,100 on his website, and I'm not sure if that includes shipping. I also don't like the idea of paying that kind of money and having to weight half a year for them to get to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Mark06
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Yes, I bought them. The pictures I posted are of my own car. I, much like yourself, also planned to modify the headers based on Gavin's build. I too believed this would be more cost effective. However, upon receiving the header, the exhaust shop was unable to modify the headers to fit around the engine mount. The header is stainless steel and would break before it would fit. If modified to accommodate the headers, the engine mount would not be structurally sound.

Secondly, the headers do not fit onto the engine. Period. They just don't. Even after the bolts that mount the header onto the engine were removed, the header still did not sit flush with the engine block. The BMW tech said that "they might as well have been made for a different car." I do not see how I can make this any more clear. There is absolutely no way that a shop could make these fit while still adhering to the budget you described earlier.

The short answer is no, these are not a "cheaper alternative." The cost of modifying makes these an expensive and unreliable option.

I am not trying to "hassle" you, I am suggesting that you don not make the same mistake I did.