E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Another post on Oil changing / What I was just told...

05-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #45
steve molnar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335 I DARK GREEN, STEPTRONIC,

Oil can be use for extened drain intervals providing you have a bypass filter system. I do agree oil in turbo engines need to be changed more often. The amsoil sight even states for turbo engines change every six months regardless of miles abtained in that period. Heat is the killer of any oil, in the form of shear. Thats why one post found info on a oil for this engine needing a high shear factor. I have always had turbo engines and changed the oil twice a year, with amsoil, or mobil 1. Amsoil actually makes euro type viscosity a 5-40 marked on the bottle for BMW,VOLVO,AND MB. Until there are bypass filters placed on these vehicles, with engine oil analyses, I will change mine every six monthes. A great sight for massive oil information is a sight trustmymechanic.com or google this. then scroll down to bonus report #3 the motor oil bible. this guy brakes down oil like a nasa engineer. If everyone remembers we where told for years to change oil at 3k regardless. then came synthetic oil for the extended drain intervals. synthetics have flash points as high as 500 degrees. And I have had oil analysis done and even at six months with about 12,000 miles the oil was fine, but this was the schedule I am comfortable with.
Appreciate 0