E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Premium Selection?

09-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Premium Selection?

HI Guys,

I tried searching for it but can't seem to find anything.

Has anyone claim under premium selection before? Apart from free servicing what does it actually cover? The reason I'm asking is because I think my water pump gave way tonight. On the way home I had a few short(2 actually) burst,each burst was about 3-4 seconds. About 30 secs from home my car suddenly wasn't changing gear and the car suddenly lose power! As I was going uphill top just my luck 100 meters from home uphill and I needed to stop the car and let it rest (hazard lights ON) as the car wouldn't move as all even pressing the accelerator. The error was "engine too hot" funny thing was when I looked at the temp needle it was sitting 1 bar before 120c. After turning the car off and on it still gave me the same error but I managed to crawl the car home.

In the car I could hear the fan running very loudly. When I open the bonnet I can see water spilling out of the water pump. sigh

So I'm gonna give BMW a call tmr after reading the pds of premium selection it's not clear what they actually cover.

Can anyone chip in some light? This is what the PDS says:

Component
Exclusions
Cooling system
Repair work due to clogging or sedimentation, thermostats, radiator cap, gaskets, system hoses & fittings and topping up of the cooling system itself.
Overheating – There are a number
of telltale warning devices within all BMW vehicles. These systems alert drivers of impending break down due
to overheating of the cooling system. The Vehicle’s temperature gauge along with the coolant level indicator must not be ignored. Any claims for overheating related issues will not be accepted if the advice provided by this instrumentation has been disregarded.
Now: BMW X5 F15 M50d

Last edited by kaitan; 09-23-2013 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: from PDS
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Ranoz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 DSCLOL

keep us posted. I also want to find out what does premium include.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Ask William mate, he had his water pump replaced and I believe it was under premium selection warranty..
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
drjekl
Captain
Rep

AFAIK this should be covered, didn't the dealer give you the paperwork?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
AFAIK this should be covered, didn't the dealer give you the paperwork?
Now that you have mention it no they have not given me any paper but I do know that the car is under premium selection untilo 2015 July.

First observation this morning was seems to me that the watercoolant cap is lose as it requires no strength to get the cap unscrew. Secondly I've added about 350ml of water as it looks like it's running low on fluid. The error message is not there anymore but I'm assuming that it's because the engine is still cold.

Called BMW and they said the cap is normal as the coolant is cool and there is no pressure build up. Secondly they asked me when was the last time I've added water? First time actually every since owning the car. they said it might be just low on fluid hence why it overheated but they said to come in and just check.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Tell them you want it replaced under warranty. I know of two people (William included) who have had waterpumps changed under warranty
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
Tell them you want it replaced under warranty. I know of two people (William included) who have had waterpumps changed under warranty

Thanks Stu. I will tell them that.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
It's funny how you told me that warranty extension is useless when we first inspected the car. lol hopefully this warranty is well used apart from getting free scheduled servicing
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Subway

I had a very similar issue (loss of power, limp home mode etc) however it was a Vanos solenoid that had failed. North Shore BMW repaired and replaced under Premium Selection warranty - no charge to me. (car was purchased 2nd hand from Canterbury BMW).

All I had to do when I dropped the car off was remind them that the PS warranty applies to this mechanical fault I'll 2nd Stu's comments - tell them its under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

BMW called good news and bad news. According to them it's the waterpump and thermostat and gaskets needs replacing.

Good news is that the Waterpump is covered. According to BMW it's $1700

Bad news is the thermostat and gaskets and FLUID(I mean what!! your car with waterpump doesn't come with coolant?) Which roughly cost about $300-500
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
BMW called good news and bad news. According to them it's the waterpump and thermostat and gaskets needs replacing.

Good news is that the Waterpump is covered. According to BMW it's $1700

Bad news is the thermostat and gaskets and FLUID(I mean what!! your car with waterpump doesn't come with coolant?) Which roughly cost about $300-500
See that's what pisses me off, they make out as though the premium select warranty covers all servicing costs and parts if they fail but the truth is they get you in the long run for some other costs...

Perhaps try another dealer and see what price they come up with, or are you stuck as the car has been dismantled by this dealer for diagnosis?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #12
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
See that's what pisses me off, they make out as though the premium select warranty covers all servicing costs and parts if they fail but the truth is they get you in the long run for some other costs...

Perhaps try another dealer and see what price they come up with, or are you stuck as the car has been dismantled by this dealer for diagnosis?
Unfortunately yea I've drop the car in and left it there. I didnt have any choice. Plus i forgot to removed the jb4
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Zoo Tv
Washed Weekly
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Subway

Ouch, but could be worse. I would have done the same when I was still under PS warranty.
Appreciate 0