E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tesco momentum 99

01-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #23
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Yes I've seen 30% as a safe top end number before an extra fuel pump and flash.

However they say monitor trims on a JB4 log to see if you can push it a bit more. Don't want to over stress the standard fuel pump too much though.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #24
russjonesr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Okay added 3L of ethanol to the tank which had around 15L of momentum left in it...added another 15L of Shell V power just after to make sure it mixed up! So if we assume that both fuels have 5% ethanol content I should now be running on E15! I will do a couple of WOT's tomorrow (weather depending) and then up the ethanol to E20-25 if all goes well. Wish me luck
Jb4 with Trebila BEF,vargas stage 2+ turbos, vrsf dp's, vrsf cp with tial bov, vrfs 7" fmic, EOS PI with BMS PI controller, RB Inlets and Outlets, bms meth kit, BMS DCI, miltek cat back, bms occ,3.5 tmap, ngk 5992 plugs, HSD coilovers, M3 rear subframe, diff, drive shafts , suspension and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #25
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Good work.
I trust you have some base logs for comparison?

WM
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #26
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
Good work.
I trust you have some base logs for comparison?

WM
Not only Good work, but brave work.
      01-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #27
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Nice one Russ, you are a brave man.

Should be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #28
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Meanwhile the damp, salt and dirt on the roads here is making traction difficult.

I was getting understeer this morning and oversteer while joining a junction. Was just trying to nip ahead of traffic approaching at speed and ended up snaking around looking stupid.

Warning, contains a bit of language.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #29
alex-qts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Meanwhile the damp, salt and dirt on the roads here is making traction difficult.

I was getting understeer this morning and oversteer while joining a junction. Was just trying to nip ahead of traffic approaching at speed and ended up snaking around looking stupid.

Warning, contains a bit of language.

I am exactly the same. Just bought a set of Michelin PSS to hopefully help cure it. Still wearing them in though.

Interesting note on the Momentum 99, I used to use it in the e46 330 and found V Power made it run better. Might give it another try and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #30
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf3106 View Post
I am exactly the same. Just bought a set of Michelin PSS to hopefully help cure it. Still wearing them in though.

Interesting note on the Momentum 99, I used to use it in the e46 330 and found V Power made it run better. Might give it another try and see how it goes.
Paid 109.9 per litre for it yesterday. The lowest I'd had the Nitro+ for was around 114 but that was a while back. Can't argue with the price right now though on the momentum.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #31
russjonesr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi guys, gave it a blast last night and got a misfire on cylinder 3, i can only presume this was down to the ethanol...perhaps the quality isn't up to scratch. I have also upgraded the charge pipe and added a tial bov since my last log so may not be comparing apples and apples as per Windymissles query. So back to the start...filled up the tank v-power, changed out plugs (already had purchased ngk 5992) and just to be sure changed the coil pack on 3 (have 3 spares at hand) so will do some runs tomorrow which will give a good base line to work from. May also bite the bullet and purchase sunoco e85 then i can be sure of the quality. Attempted a couple of runs today but too greasy! Can't attach the csv file on the forum!

Last edited by russjonesr; 01-24-2015 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #32
windymissile
Major
Rep

I have read somewhere that it can take a while for the jb4 to adapt. Your story sounds familiar to another's I was reading. If I remember, the misfires cleared up after a couple of pulls and the tuning had adapted for the ignition advance.

WM
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #33
jamesmurray
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I've been using bioethanol for use in fires for over a year without problem. I run upto 15L per full tank of tesco 99. Here's some details from previous threads;

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998694

James

JB4 G5, BMS/MHD Race flash, Pure Stage 2 DD, RB Turbo inlets & outets, BMS Meth kit (60/40), Wagner Downpipes & Intercooler, CPE Charge Pipe, Ramair DCI, DCT Paddles, Alpina F30 big brake kit, ST/KW variant 1 coilovers, M3 ARB and control arms
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #34
russjonesr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cheers guys, interesting information. Will do a couple of runs tomorrow. I'm using the same ethanol James
Jb4 with Trebila BEF,vargas stage 2+ turbos, vrsf dp's, vrsf cp with tial bov, vrfs 7" fmic, EOS PI with BMS PI controller, RB Inlets and Outlets, bms meth kit, BMS DCI, miltek cat back, bms occ,3.5 tmap, ngk 5992 plugs, HSD coilovers, M3 rear subframe, diff, drive shafts , suspension and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #35
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmurray View Post
I've been using bioethanol for use in fires for over a year without problem. I run upto 15L per full tank of tesco 99. Here's some details from previous threads;

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998694

James
Awesome, and also running tesco momentum, we seem to have arrived at the same conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #36
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russjonesr View Post
Hi guys, gave it a blast last night and got a misfire on cylinder 3, i can only presume this was down to the ethanol...perhaps the quality isn't up to scratch. I have also upgraded the charge pipe and added a tial bov since my last log so may not be comparing apples and apples as per Windymissles query. So back to the start...filled up the tank v-power, changed out plugs (already had purchased ngk 5992) and just to be sure changed the coil pack on 3 (have 3 spares at hand) so will do some runs tomorrow which will give a good base line to work from. May also bite the bullet and purchase sunoco e85 then i can be sure of the quality. Attempted a couple of runs today but too greasy! Can't attach the csv file on the forum!
Glad to see you got a chance to give it a go. I guess like any tuning any weak component meaning a cylinder can't fire quick enough to keep up will be revealed. Hope it was just a plug. I had a misfire when running the jb4. Swapped the coil packs to see if it was plug/coil pack/injector responsible and then never got one again. Maybe a loose connection? Maybe trapped water vapor? I had ordered plugs. No problem, they'll be swapped in on the next service.

I had to give map 5 a go today and I resorted to 4th gear. That worked for me but you need a good stretch. Momentum is happy on 15 to 16 psi.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #37
russjonesr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Gents,

Unfortunately conditions were not ideal...again! Did a few logs but traction control kept coming on through the runs...this brief run was with the DTC pressed once...I'm usually seeing around the 18psi with Shell / Momentum but as you can see didn't get WOT until 4K rpm ( what a chicken shi*t)!!

So hopefully next weekend we can try again!

Cheers Russ
Attached Files
File Type: txt 2015-01-25 14_46_14..txt (13.4 KB, 139 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #38
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russjonesr View Post
Gents,

Unfortunately conditions were not ideal...again! Did a few logs but traction control kept coming on through the runs...this brief run was with the DTC pressed once...I'm usually seeing around the 18psi with Shell / Momentum but as you can see didn't get WOT until 4K rpm ( what a chicken shi*t)!!

So hopefully next weekend we can try again!

Cheers Russ
For anyone not familiar with viewing the data, open excel, import the text file and choose comma delimited values.

18PSI! Nice. Can't wait to see a good run.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 01:56 AM   #39
windymissile
Major
Rep

Russ is running modded turbos and meth. 18 psi is about where it should be.
I have had 20+ with meth on standard turbos. I'm not sure if there is any room for improvement with E30+ on standard turbos. It's a good experiment though, and if there is, it will be good to know for the summer.
It's going to take a half day of pulls with various grades of fuels in good conditions to clarify.

- Are you running with the meth kit in Map 3? Or just in map 5, Russ?

WM
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 03:34 AM   #40
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Russ is running modded turbos and meth. 18 psi is about where it should be.
I have had 20+ with meth on standard turbos. I'm not sure if there is any room for improvement with E30+ on standard turbos. It's a good experiment though, and if there is, it will be good to know for the summer.
It's going to take a half day of pulls with various grades of fuels in good conditions to clarify.

- Are you running with the meth kit in Map 3? Or just in map 5, Russ?

WM
Yes I spotted that Russ has modded turbos but I'd be happy with 18psi from any now that I'm running about 15 to 16 max myself.

I must look what are the upper limits of the Vargas.

WM, don't you get nervous reaching 20 psi on stock turbos? I wonder how many rpm they are doing at that boost versus the 7 psi?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 05:47 AM   #41
russjonesr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Guys,

I run Map 3 daily....was actually thinking whilst doing the test to change to map 5? What do you think?

Got the Vargas turbos late November...for 2 reasons the main one being wastegate rattle (driving me crazy) and I was also seeing a little smoke (oil seal on turbo) on decel...although there was no power loss..just sounded like I had a tin can under the bonnet

WM: Did you up the additive to 70-75 to get 20+ psi? I'm at 50 additive at the moment and boosting .5 to 1 psi higher than the meth additive boost curve supplied by Terry http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22272 I'm putting the additional boost down to the stage 1's.

Initially trims were looking high and meth not working properly..but I think that was down to the BMS elbow I was using. The meth nozzle was just too far back in the elbow so I don't think it was spraying correctly...now meth nozzle is installed in the VRSF charge pipe which went in a couple of weeks ago....this last run trims are looking much better! I will continue to minitor though...
Cheers Russ
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #42
windymissile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Yes I spotted that Russ has modded turbos but I'd be happy with 18psi from any now that I'm running about 15 to 16 max myself.

I must look what are the upper limits of the Vargas.

WM, don't you get nervous reaching 20 psi on stock turbos? I wonder how many rpm they are doing at that boost versus the 7 psi?
17-18 will be provided by the turbos, the rest comes from the drop in intake temp and denser air due to the Methanol injection. (I don't run it for extra octane)
I'm not too worried about the extra work the turbos are doing. They are both new. I monitor and log regularly to keep on top of things.

WM
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #43
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
17-18 will be provided by the turbos, the rest comes from the drop in intake temp and denser air due to the Methanol injection. (I don't run it for extra octane)
I'm not too worried about the extra work the turbos are doing. They are both new. I monitor and log regularly to keep on top of things.

WM
Interesting. I realised that it has the cooling effect but I assumed the map was pushing the turbos harder as less knock was occurring.

I hope I can get water/meth myself later this year. I also like the cleaning effect myself. Hoping it prevents the built up of carbon deposits and maybe even reverses them?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #44
Cerbera9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2007

Is there much difference between the Vargas stage 1's and stage 2's? I'm thinking about upgrading from my Hybrids and adding Meth now.
Appreciate 0