E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > new member needs advice

07-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Mason2005
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 m3 coupe

new member needs advice

hey guys, i just got my used jet black e92 335i about 3 weeks ago and have been loving it. I have been on the forums for a while just as an observer, and having stepped up from a 04 325ci i have to say this forum really helped me make my choice of cars easy. i know about the search feature but i couldn't find exactly what i was looking for so here it goes. thanks for the help in advance.

i know people say it is normal for the car to rattle a bit on start up, yet this irritating noise persists the whole time i drive the car. it is most noticeable in 1st through 3rd gear, goes away when clutch is pushed in, and is also Very noticeable when letting off accelerator in 1st through 3rd gear as engine spins down you can hear an annoying rattle sound coming from the engine bay.

Having come from a modded wrx to 325 to 335, i thought initially it might just be the exhaust knocking against either the diff or even against something else under the car. the reason i suspected this is because the original owner of the car took of the factory exhaust and had it powder coated black. I took it to a muffler shop and they said it might be one of the upper cats rattling but wanted 80 bucks an hour just to diagnose the problem. I am fairly mechanically adept, but do not have access to a lift at the moment which makes it hard for me to do much if the problem is located in the dp/ upper cat etc... the car still is under the factory warranty but i just wanted to get some members opinions before i go into the dealer.

thanks for the advice guys
Mason
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Search "wastegate rattle" sounds like what you might be hearing/experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy4nk8er View Post
Search "wastegate rattle" sounds like what you might be hearing/experiencing.
+ 1
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Mason2005
Private
United_States
Rep

hey guys thanks for the advice, i read the wastegate threads and that sounds exactly like what i am experiencing. So my car is an 07, and there is def no lag present at the moment, great torque/ throttle response down low and after reading about 100 pages of the 29.2 lag issues i am confused on what i should ask the stealership to do? should i ask for new wastegates/ turbos so they stay away from the software of the engine? can this be fixed? again thanks there is just so much info it is a little hard to decipher.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

I beleive some of the tunes cover up the wastegate rattle.. I have pre 29.2 and I refuse to have the dealership upgrade my software.. You might want to look around, if you were interested in getting a tune you might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Mason2005
Private
United_States
Rep

hey i have an appt with the dealer tomorrow and will turn down any software updates nor will i let them even take my car in after reading the 29.2 thread, my car is fast down at 1,400 rpm and is an earlier 07 build so i assume i am pre 29.2. instead would just like to get the car tuned so the rattle is lessened if not gone in addition to the increased performance. which tune ie (procede, jb+, jb3) is the most helpful in this regard?

cheers
Mason
Appreciate 0