E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > New Polisher fun

12-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

New Polisher fun

So I got the Griot's DA polisher from a cyber Monday deal on amazon for $100. Came with a kit of polish/wax/clay bar/ and speed shine also. So I decided to give it a whirl this weekend and the results were definitely nice for me. Don't mind my dog in the first picture.

I still had some minor scratches here and there after I did the whole thing, but I'm not that much of a perfectionist because 99% of people won't notice that stuff. I used my reliable meg's ultimate combo. Compound/polish/wax. I clayed it. Started off with the griots machine polish 3 but wasn't cutting enough so took out the compound. Then went to the griots to finish it off. Then I threw on a layer of the griots best in show wax.
I read that the durability wasn't that great, so I finished the top layer off with the meg's ultimate wax which is more of a sealant. That way I'll get some durability on the top coat.
I'm going to venture into some higher level products once I get low on these ones, but for now I'm more then happy with the meg's ultimate combo.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Looks great. When all is said and down you should put down Megs Ultimate Wax and then the Best of show on top. Always the synthetic first then the carnaubu on top.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post
Looks great. When all is said and down you should put down Megs Ultimate Wax and then the Best of show on top. Always the synthetic first then the carnaubu on top.
ah, I figured it was better to put the most durable thing on top.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Job well done, did the polisher come with a backing plate already?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
yea it did, and a orange and red pad
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Result is amazing but please Clean the wheel wells
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
yea it did, and a orange and red pad
Just so nobody gets disappointed, I think the pads only come with it in the kit that fireline43 bought.

If you just buy the Griots polisher (not in a kit), it comes with the backing plate and maybe an instructional DVD.

fireline43: good job. I'd bought mine a few weeks before the holidays so I didn't get that smoking hot deal Amazon had going. The only downside to doing this is if you're like me you get even more an@l about people doing stuff to mess with your paint finish since you know how much work it takes to put it right!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
The only downside to doing this is if you're like me you get even more an@l about people doing stuff to mess with your paint finish since you know how much work it takes to put it right!
Tell me about it. I have two jet black ones to maintain and I am anal about them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Result is amazing but please Clean the wheel wells
I knew someone would say that lol. I noticed after I finished. Not so much important to me, but I know it should be cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
Just so nobody gets disappointed, I think the pads only come with it in the kit that fireline43 bought.

If you just buy the Griots polisher (not in a kit), it comes with the backing plate and maybe an instructional DVD.

fireline43: good job. I'd bought mine a few weeks before the holidays so I didn't get that smoking hot deal Amazon had going. The only downside to doing this is if you're like me you get even more an@l about people doing stuff to mess with your paint finish since you know how much work it takes to put it right!
Oh I was already like that before, I just did everything by hand. Black is the worst color to me, but it's the car I got a deal on, so I'll live with it for now. I will be sooooo happy to go back to white one day though. Not that black looks amazing after a wash, it's just to taxing on a persons life.
Appreciate 0