E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > So my sister got a 2012 Porsche 911 as her first car

Closed Thread

03-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #89
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

I live in NW-NJ home of lots of well to do trust fund babies....On my way home last night, a clear, quiet night...no rain no snow no issues...I see 3 cop cars on the side of the road and tire marks that looked as if the car was dancing....
In the guard rail was a very nice looking 911...or what was left of it.

Sadly, the kids lived...and i do mean kids. A guy and a girl, had to be no more than 18 if they were lucky....sitting on the guard rail next to the car and talking on their cell phones while the world passed them by at 15mph because the cops had closed two lanes of traffic due to bits and pieces of the car that were thrown off.

So odds are they will get a new car, and do this all over again. And if they are lucky they won't hurt anyone.
If they are not, they will....but no worries....they will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #90
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Jesus...I had a G35 when I was 16 and that was a terrible decision. I don't even want to think about how many times I was well over 100 in that thing and that wasn't a terribly fast car...I cannot even imagine over how many meters my body would have been splashed with a 911
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #91
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Things that dont affect me, dont bother me. Things that could affect me, do get my attention.

So she got an expensive car. It's not like I have delusions that if her dad bought her a new Kia, then some of the $$ difference might somehow be spent on me instead. Financially my life is unaffected either way.

However, even if she legitimately earned the money herself (appeared in commercials or whatever other way someone that young could legitimately earn that kinda money), the point remains, she still only has a 16-year olds skillset, even if she has a 40-year olds wallet.

She will likely not have the experience or skills to provide the correct inputs to keep a challenging car like that pointed straight if something does happen (say a dog runs in front while negotiating a corner, she doesn't have to be racing).

Odds are good shes more likely to hurt herself or others (me?), compared to the same scenario in a new Lexus sedan or something.

That's the part I have a problem with. I have friends who own a Kawasaki dealership. They wont sell a 1100cc sportbike to a novice rider, even if he has cash in hand. They will steer him to a starter bike, and if he doesnt like it, they will let him walk. I got big respect for that. Too bad car dealerships never do that.
I supposed i would argue against this logic. Sports cars in general are more stable in evasive maneuvers than other cars that aren't designed to make quick transitions from one direction to another. Most sports car makers are now putting lots of nanny controls in these cars because more often than not, the people who are buying them don't have the skill set to drive them at 10/10 or 9/10 of the cars capabilities. Porsches PSM system is great for making sure the car is pointed where you want it to go. I've driven rear wheel drive cars all my life and do so with all nannys turned off. I learned to drive with out them and enjoy doing so. my 911 is damn near impossible to get sideways without massive amounts of speed, even on gravel it doesn't want to get sideways.

But then we have a 16yr old girls mind set which varies quite a bit from a 16yr old boys or even a 25yr old boys for that matter. Most girls are interesting in the status, color and shape of a vehicle. Usually in that order. Rarely are they interested in how many hp or how much torque is has. They are not typically interested in racing or even driving fast. Most of them are scared to drive fast. They just want a cute vehicle to get to the mall in so they can meet their friends.

Point is, i doubt you have much to fear by this girl or many girls getting a new 911 for their 16th birthday. None of us do. We have much more to fear from any boy getting any car for his 16th birthday.

I suppose most will think that your buddies motorcycle shop should be commended for the service they provide to save inexperienced riders' lives. But this all comes back to people being responsible for their actions. Should a bar tender cut someone off who is inebriated? Yes. Why, because this person has past the point of making sound decisions. Should someone not sell a first time rider a large CC sport bike? No. Why, because it's none of their business what they're buying that bike for.

These machines (cars, motorbikes, etc...) all have these things on them called throttles. They determine how much air and fuel go into the motor which makes the machines go faster or slower. The driver or rider has complete control of these things and can decide how much or little throttle input to give. The more responsibility we take away from individuals the less responsibility they will take on for themselves in other aspects of their lives.
      03-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #92
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I supposed i would argue against this logic. Sports cars in general are more stable in evasive maneuvers than other cars that aren't designed to make quick transitions from one direction to another. Most sports car makers are now putting lots of nanny controls in these cars because more often than not, the people who are buying them don't have the skill set to drive them at 10/10 or 9/10 of the cars capabilities. Porsches PSM system is great for making sure the car is pointed where you want it to go. I've driven rear wheel drive cars all my life and do so with all nannys turned off. I learned to drive with out them and enjoy doing so. my 911 is damn near impossible to get sideways without massive amounts of speed, even on gravel it doesn't want to get sideways.

But then we have a 16yr old girls mind set which varies quite a bit from a 16yr old boys or even a 25yr old boys for that matter. Most girls are interesting in the status, color and shape of a vehicle. Usually in that order. Rarely are they interested in how many hp or how much torque is has. They are not typically interested in racing or even driving fast. Most of them are scared to drive fast. They just want a cute vehicle to get to the mall in so they can meet their friends.

Point is, i doubt you have much to fear by this girl or many girls getting a new 911 for their 16th birthday. None of us do. We have much more to fear from any boy getting any car for his 16th birthday.

I suppose most will think that your buddies motorcycle shop should be commended for the service they provide to save inexperienced riders' lives. But this all comes back to people being responsible for their actions. Should a bar tender cut someone off who is inebriated? Yes. Why, because this person has past the point of making sound decisions. Should someone not sell a first time rider a large CC sport bike? No. Why, because it's none of their business what they're buying that bike for.

These machines (cars, motorbikes, etc...) all have these things on them called throttles. They determine how much air and fuel go into the motor which makes the machines go faster or slower. The driver or rider has complete control of these things and can decide how much or little throttle input to give. The more responsibility we take away from individuals the less responsibility they will take on for themselves in other aspects of their lives.
I'm sure if I had a 911 when I was 16, I would not be here today
I got into enough trouble with my old, rusted out Corolla, and it had no power or torque to speak of. Girls are different for sure, hopefully she wont let her boyfriend drive the car...

A 911 is worse than a new M3 or anything else with a more benign handling behavior. I've personally seen a 993 go thru a chain link fence (ass first of course) at the edge of a lot during an Autocross, and the driver was a guy in his mid-30's who was not a novice to competition. I've also seen people make worse input mistakes in M3's and not have it bite them as bad.

I know you are a big fan of freedom, so it's not surprising that you are against a shop owner not selling a bike to anyone who wants it and can afford to pay for it. Of course, freedom cuts both ways, so you cant say he must be forced to sell it to someone if they do have the $. Shop owner should always have the right to refuse service. Dont like it, shop elsewhere, and the free market will punish him (or not, as the case has been so far. Guys who track their bikes seem to be some of his strongest supporters, because of what he's known for doing... and they are the most likely to roll their eyes in disgust when they hear a hayabusa at WOT on a public street instead of a track).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #93
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure if I had a 911 when I was 16, I would not be here today
I got into enough trouble with my old, rusted out Corolla, and it had no power or torque to speak of. Girls are different for sure, hopefully she wont let her boyfriend drive the car...

A 911 is worse than a new M3 or anything else with a more benign handling behavior. I've personally seen a 993 go thru a chain link fence (ass first of course) at the edge of a lot during an Autocross, and the driver was a guy in his mid-30's who was not a novice to competition. I've also seen people make worse input mistakes in M3's and not have it bite them as bad.

I know you are a big fan of freedom, so it's not surprising that you are against a shop owner not selling a bike to anyone who wants it and can afford to pay for it. Of course, freedom cuts both ways, so you cant say he must be forced to sell it to someone if they do have the $. Shop owner should always have the right to refuse service. Dont like it, shop elsewhere, and the free market will punish him (or not, as the case has been so far. Guys who track their bikes seem to be some of his strongest supporters, because of what he's known for doing... and they are the most likely to roll their eyes in disgust when they hear a hayabusa at WOT on a public street instead of a track).
When you and i were 16, 911s were very different cars. haha The turbo variant was a widow maker. You didn't drive that car without large brass balls.

I'm COMPLETELY satisfied by having a 185hp toyota supra from 1985 as my first car. Cause i drove that thing at it's limits a lot of the time. It is a much more forgiving car than a 1985 911 for sure. A 2013 911, i'm not so sure. It's kind of hard to correlate a guy going off course in an auto cross to a girl going to the mall. But you are correct, turn all the nannys off on that car and over step it's limits just a smidgen and it's more than most can handle.

She'll probably be fine, but you raise a good point about a boyfriend. Although, in her neck of the woods any boy she'll date will likely have his own Aventador!

You're right. At the same time i would never endorse any law requiring a private business to sell their goods and services to everyone who had money. Private enterprise is just that and it should stay that way. I didn't communicate effectively about that topic. I just wish the shop didn't exist in a society that warranted those types of decisions to be made by the shop. It shouldn't be their responsibility to make those decisions for individuals. On a personal level. I bought a CBR 900RR as my first bike. 3 months later i was buying an RC51 and a set of leathers. 2 months later i was buying new knee pucks for my leathers. So there is a lot of different views on starting with a smaller bike. (a thread of it's own)
      03-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #94
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
She'll probably be fine, but you raise a good point about a boyfriend. Although, in her neck of the woods any boy she'll date will likely have his own Aventador!

:
Aventador ? That's what the help drives. Sheesh. He'l probably have a new Veneno.

Where you 16 when you bought your first bike, or had you at least partially grown out of the "I'm invincible" stage ? My friends at the shop, when they try and steer a novice to a good "starter" bike, that would be a different bike for a 16 year old vs a guy having a midlife crisis who wants to look young and cool (although in neither case would it be something north of 900cc's)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #95
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

you guys are getting trolled hard
      03-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #96
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Aventador ? That's what the help drives. Sheesh. He'l probably have a new Veneno.

Where you 16 when you bought your first bike, or had you at least partially grown out of the "I'm invincible" stage ? My friends at the shop, when they try and steer a novice to a good "starter" bike, that would be a different bike for a 16 year old vs a guy having a midlife crisis who wants to look young and cool (although in neither case would it be something north of 900cc's)
No, i was 26 when i got my first bike. Actually the bike i learned on and the first bike i ever rode on the street was GSXR1100 with a 1325 bore kit and a 50hp shot of nitrous on it. I rode that for a month before i decided to get that slow 900RR.

You can get killed just as quickly on a 600cc bike as you can a 1000cc bike. But like i said, that's a whole other thread.
      03-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #97
M3 Gamer
Rep

Why is everyone hating so much? I know my friend's sister drives her dad's Escalade to school sometimes. Just sometimes that's the only car the parents have sitting around.

I bet when you guys were 16, there would be no way you would deny having a Porsche Carrera as your first car if your parents gave you the option to have one, just because you believe you can't appreciate such an expensive car.

Speaking of young kids with nice cars, you guys should look up Lil Twist. That kid crashed two of Justin Bieber's nice cars, one being his Fisker Karma recently that he crashed into poles at a liquor store. And he just ran away like a pussy.

I think the artist is more famous for wrecking Justin Bieber's cars than his actual music. I never heard anything by Lil Twist before, he's probably more worried about the next car he's gonna wreck.

Last edited by M3 Gamer; 03-14-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #98
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Gamer View Post
Why is everyone hating so much? I know my friend's sister drives her dad's Escalade to school sometimes. Just sometimes that's the only car the parents have sitting around.

I bet when you guys were 16, there would be no way you would deny having a Porsche Carrera as your first car if your parents gave you the option to have one, just because you believe you can't appreciate such an expensive car.

Speaking of young kids with nice cars, you guys should look up Lil Twist. That kid crashed two of Justin Bieber's nice cars, one being his Fisker Karma recently that he crashed into poles at a liquor store. And he just ran away like a pussy.

I think the artist is more famous for wrecking Justin Bieber's cars than his actual music. I never heard anything by Lil Twist before, he's probably more worried about the next car he's gonna wreck.
Go away, take this crap back to the Subaru forum. Oh wait, you were banned from there too.
      03-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #99
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

JetFalcon..is that you?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #100
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Go away, take this crap back to the Subaru forum. Oh wait, you were banned from there too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
JetFalcon..is that you?
LOL, looks like he was banned from the motorcycle forums again also, this kid is the ultimate troll.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #101
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
LOL, looks like he was banned from the motorcycle forums again also, this kid is the ultimate troll.
Actually I think it's a tie between him and shah
      03-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #102
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Nice! Congrats to her, i remember my first car was older than I was...barely ran, and had no heat, yet when i drive fast it overheats...

This girl also took a Porsche out for a drive one day, looks like she had fun....

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #103
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
She's not into speeding.
To her it's just a really cute sports car.
Oh hell no, I'm offended.. Give her your car and take the P!!!!!! Haha damn must feeel gewwd! congrats!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #104
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
^^^ Holy shit spool I was looking at those pictures and I thought it was a horse for a sec.. I almost threw up the carrot I was eating.. Fuck
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #105
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

lol, I was waiting till someone posted those pics..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #106
Minefield
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minefield View Post
Nikki Catsouras
Yup.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #107
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Irresponsible parents.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #108
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Guess I'll be skipping breakfast this morning...
      03-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #109
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Oddly, the photos didn't bother me as much as I thought they might. I'm actually eating lunch right now.

However, (seriously), did her brain just fall out or do I just not know what to look for? I've heard the brain referred to as gray matter, though I never supposed it to necessarily be gray, but on that note, there is a bunch of "gray matter" all over the windshield...makes me wonder. I really don't think that's it, but morbid curiousity has me wondering where it is...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #110
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Oddly, the photos didn't bother me as much as I thought they might. I'm actually eating lunch right now.

However, (seriously), did her brain just fall out or do I just not know what to look for? I've heard the brain referred to as gray matter, though I never supposed it to necessarily be gray, but on that note, there is a bunch of "gray matter" all over the windshield...makes me wonder. I really don't think that's it, but morbid curiousity has me wondering where it is...
You know, this page has had 200 odd views since I posted (and no posts).

Given this, I know at least some of you helpful bastards scrolled back up to try to identify the brain. Now out with it - did you see it or did you not?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread