E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Had to break into my 330d today!!

01-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Petem95
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 330d M-Sport

Had to break into my 330d today!!

Not a great situation! Basically was driving along earlier and wasn't feeling too great - then felt like I was about to be sick, so pulled over and jumped out. Wasn't actually sick, so went to get back in the car but the doors had auto-locked!! Engine was still running, phone and everything still in there!!

Ended up having to use a rock to smash one of the rear 3/4 windows on one of the rear doors!

Didn't think the doors auto-locked until the car was moving!!

Anyone had to change a rear 3/4 window before?! Guessing this will require stripping the whole door trim off, and probably won't be a simple job?! Will get a garage quote tomorrow, but if its more than a couple of hundred I'll give it a go myself!
      01-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Oh jeez

Yeah should only lock when you move away or if you unlock but don't open a door within a minute (config in idrive)
      01-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Lesson learned: Don't leave engine running and wonder off It doesn't take more than a 5th of a second to smash the engine stop button you'd already stopped taken her out of gear applied the handbrake etc.

That said why the hell did the car lock without being moved. That doesn't really add up. Unless you leant on the manual door lock as you were getting out or something: And then closed the door... Not that I'm saying you did that. Just surmising...

D'oh!
      01-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Petem95
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 330d M-Sport

Yeah I'm pretty sure it shouldnt have locked! Wondered whether a lorry rumbling past jumped the central locking or something?

Either way it's onto getting a new rear quarter window now. Got a quote from the dealer today which came in just under £400, so will be buying the window and doing it myself!
      01-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
It doesn't take more than a 5th of a second to smash the engine stop button you'd already stopped taken her out of gear applied the handbrake etc.
Or to have it stolen...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
A former colleague had to do a similar thing....

Caught short, he pulled over to attend to business. Leaving the engine running he opened the drivers door, and then before getting out of the car pushed the central locking button on the dash to unlock the car in order that he could also get something out of the boot on the way back.

Leaving the door open he walked into the vegetation to take care of business, and whilst doing so heard the drivers door shut. Fearing the worst he waited for the engine to rev up as the thief made off with his new motor. After hurriedly putting things away he ran out of the vegetation to find that it was only the wind that had blown the door shut. Feeling an immense sense of relief he went to open the boot, only to find that it was locked, as indeed were all of the doors.

So there he was, some distance from home, locked outside the running car with his mobile phone in the centre console. Taking the obvious course of action he put in the rear quarterlight to gain access to the car and proceeded to make his way to the local dealer / bodyshop.

Upon arrival he was informed, that not only was the quarterlight an expensive piece of glass (and not covered by the usual windscreen excess), but also that whilst they had front and rear 'screens, side glass and indeed any other pane of glass for the car in stock, due to the extremely low demand for it they did not stock rear quarterlight glass. Further 'phone calls to Autoglass and other suppliers confirmed that they also held no stock locally and that he would have no choice but to wait a couple of days before a replacement could be delivered to him.

Needless to say he was not a happy bunny, and even less so when we fell around laughing as he told the story.

In this case it is clear what had happened, when he opened the drivers door and pressed the central locking button the car spotted the one unlocked door and promptly locked it. Mother nature then stepped in to ensure that the humiliation was total.

In the case of the OP though it is strange that the car decided to lock itself, maybe you managed to catch the button on the door as you climbed out and locked the door as you went?

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
A former colleague had to do a similar thing....

Caught short, he pulled over to attend to business. Leaving the engine running he opened the drivers door, and then before getting out of the car pushed the central locking button on the dash to unlock the car in order that he could also get something out of the boot on the way back.

Leaving the door open he walked into the vegetation to take care of business, and whilst doing so heard the drivers door shut. Fearing the worst he waited for the engine to rev up as the thief made off with his new motor. After hurriedly putting things away he ran out of the vegetation to find that it was only the wind that had blown the door shut. Feeling an immense sense of relief he went to open the boot, only to find that it was locked, as indeed were all of the doors.

So there he was, some distance from home, locked outside the running car with his mobile phone in the centre console. Taking the obvious course of action he put in the rear quarterlight to gain access to the car and proceeded to make his way to the local dealer / bodyshop.

Upon arrival he was informed, that not only was the quarterlight an expensive piece of glass (and not covered by the usual windscreen excess), but also that whilst they had front and rear 'screens, side glass and indeed any other pane of glass for the car in stock, due to the extremely low demand for it they did not stock rear quarterlight glass. Further 'phone calls to Autoglass and other suppliers confirmed that they also held no stock locally and that he would have no choice but to wait a couple of days before a replacement could be delivered to him.

Needless to say he was not a happy bunny, and even less so when we fell around laughing as he told the story.

In this case it is clear what had happened, when he opened the drivers door and pressed the central locking button the car spotted the one unlocked door and promptly locked it. Mother nature then stepped in to ensure that the humiliation was total.

In the case of the OP though it is strange that the car decided to lock itself, maybe you managed to catch the button on the door as you climbed out and locked the door as you went?
That is a fantastic story. I can imagine as the pieces of the puzzle of this humiliation were pieced together. Poor guy but bwahaha
      02-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
G-10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d M sport

You made a school bay error smashing the small window on the rear door should have smashed the larger one. The small windows are bonded to the door. The door will need to be semi striped. I have a damaged door striped if you want any pics of whats involved. I also have the glass for sale its got the genuine bmw tint. You can have it for less than your cheapest quote you can get if you want it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Tony of Oz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X1 20d

Central Locking doing it's own this

My wife's 2010 X1 20d central locking has just recently started locking and unlocking all by itself as we drive along. We don't have it set lock automatically at all. I was locked out of the car last week whilst it was running (but in park). I just waited a while and it unlocked again. The vehicle has been with the local dealer for a couple of days and it has them stumped. The problem gets worse (as in the locks operate up and down more frequently) as the ambient temperature rises. It's summer here in Perth, Western Australia so it's been happening a lot. My guess is some bit of electronic wizardry doesn't like the heat. The dealer suggested it may be a problem with the key, but the same problem occurs if we drive the car with either my key or my wife's. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Sorry to hear this happened as bizarre as it seems!