E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > When does DME pull timing because of IATs? (slip and log inside)

08-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
When does DME pull timing because of IATs? (slip and log inside)

First, let me apologize for putting N55 stuff in this section, but it's a ghost town in our forum, and this question applies in a more general way to Procede/BMW IAT intervention.

I went to the dragstrip a few nights ago chasing a mid 12 but was dissapointed again Still, ran my best mph to date, I guess.

My mods:
Procede rev3
Catless downpipe
Vanguard V2 exhuast
4 gallons E85, rest 93 octane Shell

I was running map 1 with boost upped to 16psi. I realize now that not running map 2 may have left some power on the table.... the open loop ignition for map2 shows quite a bit of advance over map 1.

That being said, in 3rd and 4th gear I'm maxing out timing at 3.5 degrees (NOT GOOD). I have a stock FMIC and my IAT's start at 117F in the beginning of 3rd to 145F at the end of the strip in 4th. The procede does not start pulling timing until 158F.

Is this the DME retarding ignition because of IAT? Does anyone know what those thresholds are?

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
That tiny single turbo is generating a lot of backpressure that those boost levels. To avoid knock retard (a byproduct of high exhaust pressures) you need more octane. And if possible, some type of charge cooling (meth or upgraded fmic). There is really no other way around it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Here's a pic someone posted up in the Cobb thread showing the stock timing correction factor tables(it shows it as a stage 1 map but the tables are the same.) This is N54 but I'm betting the N55 follows a similar routine. At 145F you're balls deep into the table lol

Appreciate 0