E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Where to go next with increasing performance

08-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

What kind of police state do you live in where cruising by slowly in a high gear would be audible enough to get you pulled over? With my full CL exhaust (CL DPs and cp-e exhaust), I can make the car cruise by silently, and it's barely louder than a stock car at idle, and quieter than a stock car w/golf tee mod at idle. Put DPs in and don't worry about it. If you're getting harassed by cops, turn to the 6000K lighting, aftermarket angel eyes, tints, roof wrap, black wheels, etc. You know, the stuff that turns the car from a normal, respectful looking 335 into something that's clearly been "souped up" (in the mind of the police). If you're worried about cops, ditch the 6000k lighting and the roof wrap, and any tints you might have. The 6000k lights perform worse than stock anyway, and they definitely don't look cool. If you MUST have higher temp bulbs, get something that is a legitimate OEM upgrade, Osram CBIs.
      08-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita
High Flow catted dps.
Keep the intake you have , you wont gain anything by changing it.
Not trying to start a flame war, but you are clearly misinformed in this aspect. Since when does inside/hot running intakes yield the same hp as a cool/low running CAI. Never, that's when.....

There are also many threads and logs on this topic with proof of increase in power. I'm not saying its significant over 10whp/trq, but it can be in some cars and the lag time between engine cooling is significantly reduced. That's your biggest concern for a tuned vehicle.

As for your original question OP, you need to do DP's. Catted are a waste of money, just go cattless. As long as you have the rest of your exhaust system stock or throw on some resonators, you'll be fine.

GL with your choice!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #25
slo_335-e90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90

I think im going to look into welding resonators somewhere in the exhaust. this seems like the best approach for me, hopefully it will balance out the increased volume of the DP's.

And to answer your question, I'm up in North Jersey, where they have nothing better to do than harass the younger people on the road. I've been pulled over in my town before for "having a loud exhaust" when I just had cut off valves. Best part was I closed them when I was pulled over and said I'm sorry I dont know what you mean this is the stock volume, to which he had me rev and it was back to quiet