E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > MY CAR!!!

10-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #23
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

we can't really judge from that info alone, like ga-bmwdrvr said, maybe your detailer's got a meter that measures paint thickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBimm
If you guys would have to judge. Do you think I have a very thin clear coat? After maybe 2 polishes, one from the dealer before delivery and the one that ruined the car? Judging from that, do you think that i have a realy thin clear coat, and also judging from the pictures? I assume he used abravise 3m products. Do you guys think that from the 2 polishes assuming they were full hard polsihes, my clearcoat will be very very thin after he fixes it on Monday?
      10-01-2006, 03:37 PM   #24
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Yep, only a paint-thickness meter can help.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #25
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

Ok, I will try to get a paint -thickness meter on monday. So whats the top score A+ in paint thickness meter for my car or e90? So nobody would tell me the paint is ok while it really is real thin?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #26
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Paint thickness gauges are normally over $500; those will only tell you the total thickness of paint, not primer, paint, and clear. It is likely that the holograms were left because he was moving the rotary too fast. It is *unlikely* that he burned the paint, or thinned the clear coat significantly however it is a concern. Only a real pro or a PTG will be able to tell you for sure. Some pics in the sunlight would go a long way toward evaluating the issue.

The holograms themselves are very easy to remove; if he doesn't hava a PTG I would *strongly* recommend he fix them with a dual action machine rather than a rotary. A rotary is a great tool when used with experience, however the fact that he left that kind of hologramming in the first place does not speak well to his skill with it. I would ve very hesitant to let him at the paint with it again, and frankly, a DA will remove holograms easily and much more safely.

FWIW, most new cars have between 13-17 microns of paint from the factory. Anything over 12 microns and it is a good guess that you have a nice healthy clear coat remaining. If you are under 10 you will want to limit polishing in the future. Under 8 and it is likely you will have clear coat failure in the near future.

Do me a favor, go out on a sunny day when you can really see the holograms and take a bunch of pictures, then post them or even e-mail them to me. I am relatively certain that with good pictures I will be able to tell you the severity of the holograms.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #27
ahnh77
chichen
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325xi

that's why just wax the car karate kid way.."wax on....wax off"...by hand..hahahha
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #28
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

Picus. Thanks a lot for your update. I feel really concerned about this. And I will take the pictures tomorrow at midday so you could have a clear picture of what is going on with the paint. I am going to post so that everyone could see how are deep are the holograms. The holograms are quite clear in white light or sunlight. I dont have to try hard to see them they are quite visible in bright light. I will take the pictures tomorrow and try to post them before my appointment with the detailer.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2006, 10:54 PM   #29
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

any update?
Appreciate 0