E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Sun-shading

10-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Sun-shading

Is there a sun-shading form for MD? Or is that just for VA?

Reason I'm asking is because I got a repair order for my tint. Ran it for 4.5 years without a problem. Not sure why there's a problem now.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
Is there a sun-shading form for MD? Or is that just for VA?

Reason I'm asking is because I got a repair order for my tint. Ran it for 4.5 years without a problem. Not sure why there's a problem now.
Revenues, baby.

OBTW, I have the waiver in VA. The office I visit can pull up any forms from any state. You pay a $15 fee and then submit it to DMV/MVA.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
Revenues, baby.

OBTW, I have the waiver in VA. The office I visit can pull up any forms from any state. You pay a $15 fee and then submit it to DMV/MVA.
Can you pm me the info?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
zacnaud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Can you pm me that info also? My eyes hurt from the sun everytime i drive the m3

2008 335i Sedan - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacnaud View Post
Can you pm me that info also? My eyes hurt from the sun everytime i drive the m3
lol. says the man who drives the convertible.

Please PM me the details as well.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisho View Post
Can you pm me the info?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacnaud View Post
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/glass-window-tinting/

According to the above link, MD State law allows window tinting at 35 percent all around except for the front windshield. My waiver in VA allows me to have 35 percent all around, instead of the 50/35 split for front/rear side windows. Unless you plan to go below 35 percent, you don't need a waiver:

(7) Medical Exemption. Transportation Article, §22-406, Annotated Code of Maryland, provides an exemption for a person who must be protected from the sun for medical reasons from having a light transmittance of at least 35 percent on regulated windows equipped with post-manufacture window tint. The law requires the owner to have, in the vehicle at the time the vehicle is stopped by a police officer, a written certification that details the owner’s medical need for tinted windows, from a physician licensed to practice medicine in the State. A vehicle owner whose vehicle is undergoing an inspection, or has been issued a safety equipment repair order for defect #61 “TINT”, and indicates to the authorized inspection station their compliance with a medical exemption, shall be referred to the Automotive Safety Enforcement Division of the Department of State Police for examination of the vehicle owner’s medical documentation and the vehicle’s post-manufacture window tint. If the owner meets the requirements specified in Transportation Article, §22-406, Annotated Code of Maryland, for the medical exemption and the vehicle is compliant with all post-manufacture window tinting regulations in this chapter, excluding the light transmittance requirement of regulated windows equipped with post-manufacture window tint, the Division shall be authorized to certify the safety equipment repair order for defect #61 “TINT”. A medical exemption is not applicable to vehicles listed in §F(4) and (5) of this regulation.

Note: F(4) and (5) refer to multipurpose vehicles, dump trucks, schoolbuses, limos, etc.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/glass-window-tinting/

According to the above link, MD State law allows window tinting at 35 percent all around except for the front windshield. My waiver in VA allows me to have 35 percent all around, instead of the 50/35 split for front/rear side windows. Unless you plan to go below 35 percent, you don't need a waiver:

(7) Medical Exemption. Transportation Article, §22-406, Annotated Code of Maryland, provides an exemption for a person who must be protected from the sun for medical reasons from having a light transmittance of at least 35 percent on regulated windows equipped with post-manufacture window tint. The law requires the owner to have, in the vehicle at the time the vehicle is stopped by a police officer, a written certification that details the owner’s medical need for tinted windows, from a physician licensed to practice medicine in the State. A vehicle owner whose vehicle is undergoing an inspection, or has been issued a safety equipment repair order for defect #61 “TINT”, and indicates to the authorized inspection station their compliance with a medical exemption, shall be referred to the Automotive Safety Enforcement Division of the Department of State Police for examination of the vehicle owner’s medical documentation and the vehicle’s post-manufacture window tint. If the owner meets the requirements specified in Transportation Article, §22-406, Annotated Code of Maryland, for the medical exemption and the vehicle is compliant with all post-manufacture window tinting regulations in this chapter, excluding the light transmittance requirement of regulated windows equipped with post-manufacture window tint, the Division shall be authorized to certify the safety equipment repair order for defect #61 “TINT”. A medical exemption is not applicable to vehicles listed in §F(4) and (5) of this regulation.

Note: F(4) and (5) refer to multipurpose vehicles, dump trucks, schoolbuses, limos, etc.
So do I just go to my eye doctor and ask for this?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
utfenix335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i; 2015 X5 50i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
yep. i still haven't gone to get mine done.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
lol. says the man who drives the convertible.

Please PM me the details as well.

Thanks!
Raj,

(This goes for all of the NOVA folks, too.)

I have my eyes checked at/next to the Sears Optical Center at Dulles Town Center. There is an Optometrist to the right as you are going into the entrance, at the far end of the parking lot opposite the auto shop. It is the entrance with the wall on the right side, but not where you pick up stuff. That entrance is adjacent to the Nordstrom entrance.

At any rate, they are good people. The owner and I hit it off. He is a former EOD/sapper in the Army who blew things up. Gulf War got his eyes all messed up, with all of those explosives.

Tell him Jose Galito recommended the place. They'll examine your eyes and if you have an astigmatism or some such, they are candidates for sunshading... You gotta get a checkup, tho.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
Reckless335
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 335i e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Astigmatism will get you the sunshading waiver? Hmm, interesting. I have an astigmatism but never bothered to pursuit the waiver because it only gets you 35% all the way around here in VA.... if I'm going to bother getting a waiver I want to get something worth it, like 5% all the way around (except for windshield) I had 20% all the way around on my E46 and I got ticketed every now and then. I didn't mind though because it is/was a $40 ticket. I didn't see it as that big of a deal. If I could find a way to legally get away with 5% though I'd be all over that..... just sucks that a waiver only permits 35% all around.

OP I suggest just paying the ticket and be careful not to get ticketed again. If it becomes too much of an issue, then look into a waiver, but like I said, even with a waiver you're only allowed 35% here in VA, and that's not really "dark" IMO.
      11-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino1ny View Post
Astigmatism will get you the sunshading waiver? Hmm, interesting. I have an astigmatism but never bothered to pursuit the waiver because it only gets you 35% all the way around here in VA.... if I'm going to bother getting a waiver I want to get something worth it, like 5% all the way around (except for windshield) I had 20% all the way around on my E46 and I got ticketed every now and then. I didn't mind though because it is/was a $40 ticket. I didn't see it as that big of a deal. If I could find a way to legally get away with 5% though I'd be all over that..... just sucks that a waiver only permits 35% all around.

OP I suggest just paying the ticket and be careful not to get ticketed again. If it becomes too much of an issue, then look into a waiver, but like I said, even with a waiver you're only allowed 35% here in VA, and that's not really "dark" IMO.
Thing is, if it was a ticket. I'd have no problem paying it, but it's a repair order.
Appreciate 0