E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FI newbie here, dinan and Proceed comparo anyone?

02-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
88stlgrym3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Lexus IS350

FI newbie here, dinan and Proceed comparo anyone?

what are the pros and cons of the these two reflashes? thanks in advance.
2009 Smoky Granite Mica Lexus IS350, F-Sport products: 19'' staggered forged wheels, cold air intake, exhaust, rear sway bar, BC Racing coilovers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
E86M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
      02-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAG335i View Post
+1

To set you off on the right foot to begin with, the Procede is a piggyback, and Dinan is a software flash.

Sorry, but this topic has been discussed ad nauseam.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Red Sedan

Welcome New Guy!

You will get lost trying to read a million posts with a million different opinions. So here is the straight talk bro.

I currently own a V2 Procede. The procede is a device that piggy backs onto the stock ECU and tricks the engine with a different signal. I bought my Procede back 10 months ago when there were not allot of options. I won't lie...the service has been a bit marginal for the guys that did all the R&D and Developed on the Maps for the Procede. Company name is Vishnu BTW...the Procede is manufactured by an Australian Company (I Think) and can be adapted to many type automobiles; it is a generic system. If you're interested in modifying your car with after market Down Pipes and Intake System then you may want to go with a Piggy Back System because a new map will eventually be developed to use with these type upgrades. However, the maps are slow coming from Vishnu and some folks are getting impatient with Vishnu because they have already upgraded there cars with all this stuff including Inner Coolers and their cars are going to Limp Mode. Limp Mode is when the N54 Engine see's a problem with fuel/air mixture or over boost or spark knock and literally detunes the motor instantly. This Limp Mode can be reset by simply turning the motor off and restarting it but you'll probably need to clear codes on the ECU with a device that plugs into the OBDII Port. This has been a pain in the butt for me and others using the Procede. Like I said, if you're looking to do a bunch of upgrades an aftermarket Piggy Back is probably the way to go.

You'll also find some stuff on the JBS and SSTT units. The JBS uses an in line $10 setup of electronics that basically fools the turbos into providing more boost. It is the least expensive unit but seems to provide adequate performance for most using the device. Actually, Terry is the owner of this technology and I think he now holds the 1/4 mile record so you should take a serious look at this product. The SSTT is similar to the Procede but utilizes a different manufacturer for the Piggy Back. Like Dinan, the SSTT is conservative and provide very good performance that is safe for your car.

Ok...If i had it to do over again I'd probably go with the Dinan Re-Flash. It costs more but it provides a few things.

*Great Power - Less than V2 Procede and JBS
*Maintains Factory Warranty
*Cost $2000 plus installation costs. Maybe $2300 when done
*No Limp Modes
*You can install an Easy Flow Air Filter like K&N (More Power)
*You can install Cat Back Exhaust (More Power)
*You'll probably get your but Kicked by a Procede or JBS
*No Brain Damage with Dinan (No Limp Modes)

Do some more research and call the companies for more support and let them close you on the deal. The first time I got a Limp Mode it was one hour away from home and my wife and kids were with me and it happened on the expressway. You don't want to even know what my wife said and the look she gave me was scary. If you can handle this look you should go with a V2. If you don't want to take the chance go with Dinan. Dinan is safe. Do you live your life safe?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Ah yes, the wife look....sheer horror
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
88stlgrym3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Lexus IS350

thanks lamb is it possible to disable the procede v2 temporally( to make it invisible to the dealer) when i take it in for service? i've owned an APR stage 1 chiped audi A3 before and i was able to disable/re-enable the reflash via the cruise control button. i think i'm leaning toward the dinan.
2009 Smoky Granite Mica Lexus IS350, F-Sport products: 19'' staggered forged wheels, cold air intake, exhaust, rear sway bar, BC Racing coilovers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

Dude, it is called "Remove all the tape and the device and plug all the Factory Wires back into the stock ECU." Personally, I hate it with a passion.

see link http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/for...read.php?t=343

I also had the APR ECU Upgrade for my B5 S4 but in the end...if the dealer saw that you upgraded the ECU you would not have a warranty. The V2 Procede has a valet mode that can easily be enabled or disabled. It isn't as sophisticated as the APR unit but it works using the accelerator and holding the engine RPM at a user set point for 2-3 secconds. See the documentation at the web site above. Trust me. You don't want to take your car into the dealership with the Procede installed. You will have to remove it every time. Even if you do remove it there are tell-tale marks that the dealership could use to void your warranty. They are not stupid. Dinan is really a "No Brainer" because you can still modify your car and get some wicked HP's and install an Exhaust...all while maintaining your Warranty. However, you will get your doors blown off if a V2 pulls up beside you. That can be as painful as the "Wife Look." LOL

Like I said, if I had to do it all over againg I'd pop for the extra $1G and get the Dinan because it is a more stable product. The V2 is great but a bit glitchy. I'm still have these crazy episodes of hesitation in throttle in ingaged. Hopefully, Vishnu will get all the stuff figured out soon. When you go full throttle with a V2 at 80mph the feeling is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh...I think Turner Motorsports is coming out with an ECU upgrade too. Eugen on this forum is looking a a Euro based product but it is on International Back Order. BTW Eugen sold his V2. You may want to research his name and see what he has to say about the subject. Honestly, I think most of the V2 Problems occur because of improper installation and modifications. Not to mention the conspiracy terrorists...I mean theorists. There are guys on the Forum that would have problems no mater what upgrade they did. Just say'n.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh, forgot about the Helix. I think it is the same device as an SSTT but a different tuner. You might want to consider them as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

the Helix i think is gonna be a more easier isstall than the PROcede but still be a piggyback. i heard
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
cmurphy335e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod View Post
Welcome New Guy!

You will get lost trying to read a million posts with a million different opinions. So here is the straight talk bro.

I currently own a V2 Procede. The procede is a device that piggy backs onto the stock ECU and tricks the engine with a different signal. I bought my Procede back 10 months ago when there were not allot of options. I won't lie...the service has been a bit marginal for the guys that did all the R&D and Developed on the Maps for the Procede. Company name is Vishnu BTW...the Procede is manufactured by an Australian Company (I Think) and can be adapted to many type automobiles; it is a generic system. If you're interested in modifying your car with after market Down Pipes and Intake System then you may want to go with a Piggy Back System because a new map will eventually be developed to use with these type upgrades. However, the maps are slow coming from Vishnu and some folks are getting impatient with Vishnu because they have already upgraded there cars with all this stuff including Inner Coolers and their cars are going to Limp Mode. Limp Mode is when the N54 Engine see's a problem with fuel/air mixture or over boost or spark knock and literally detunes the motor instantly. This Limp Mode can be reset by simply turning the motor off and restarting it but you'll probably need to clear codes on the ECU with a device that plugs into the OBDII Port. This has been a pain in the butt for me and others using the Procede. Like I said, if you're looking to do a bunch of upgrades an aftermarket Piggy Back is probably the way to go.

You'll also find some stuff on the JBS and SSTT units. The JBS uses an in line $10 setup of electronics that basically fools the turbos into providing more boost. It is the least expensive unit but seems to provide adequate performance for most using the device. Actually, Terry is the owner of this technology and I think he now holds the 1/4 mile record so you should take a serious look at this product. The SSTT is similar to the Procede but utilizes a different manufacturer for the Piggy Back. Like Dinan, the SSTT is conservative and provide very good performance that is safe for your car.

Ok...If i had it to do over again I'd probably go with the Dinan Re-Flash. It costs more but it provides a few things.

*No Limp Modes

Do some more research and call the companies for more support and let them close you on the deal. The first time I got a Limp Mode it was one hour away from home and my wife and kids were with me and it happened on the expressway. You don't want to even know what my wife said and the look she gave me was scary. If you can handle this look you should go with a V2. If you don't want to take the chance go with Dinan. Dinan is safe. Do you live your life safe?

As far as getting your butt kicked by a JB2 car that not even close to the
case. I ran a member here with JBS2H and from a dig I had him all the way up until 115-120 mph. At that point he would start to pull on me a bit. I have never ran a procede but plan to in the near future. I have the DINAN tune and am so very pleased with the performance. It is soooo smooth from a stop and through the gears. Normal driving and when you give it that extra gas HOLD ON.. You get pinned into the seat with a HUGE GRIN! My vehicle also runs about 20 degrees cooler than before during spirited driving. All together I paid 2007.84 for the flash out the door and it was worth EVERY PENNY!
2008 Lexus IS-F
Starfire Pearl
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
Corky71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i coupe 6MT

Quote:
Welcome New Guy!

*No Limp Modes

+1

That is a great response bro. I agree with telling people to search at times too but your right in saying he would get lost searching for this one. There are TOO many answers out there for this!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #13
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy335e92 View Post
case. I ran a member here with JBS2H and from a dig I had him all the way up until 115-120 mph. At that point he would start to pull on me a bit. I have never ran a procede but plan to in the near future. I have the DINAN tune and am so very pleased with the performance. It is soooo smooth from a stop and through the gears. Normal driving and when you give it that extra gas HOLD ON.. You get pinned into the seat with a HUGE GRIN! My vehicle also runs about 20 degrees cooler than before during spirited driving. All together I paid 2007.84 for the flash out the door and it was worth EVERY PENNY!
I'm pretty sure the V2's in general are pulling more HP's than the DINAN. Dinan will probably come up with some new maps in the future. Who knows. Some of the guys with the JBS2HHP are doing some amazing things. I think that upgrade would beat the DINAN for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy335e92 View Post
Let us know what happens on the V2 vs. DINAN. That would be a good race. Try some 80 to 120 runs.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #15
cmurphy335e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Just out of curiosity... Why would people want to run 80 mph to 120mph? Wouldnt you want to run from a roll at 15-20mph up to 115 or something. 1/4 mile times at least to me are more important b/c who driving over 115 on the street anyway??
2008 Lexus IS-F
Starfire Pearl
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #16
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

The big difference I found when upgrading from V1.47 to V2 was the over 60 mph power. If you were to race an STI or EVO from 80mph to 120mph I think you would come out on top mainly because of the gearing of these cars. My buddy had a Suburu hopped up and we were close till about 100 and I started to pull away. This was when I had my S4. Seems like the German Cars really pull on the top end so it is nice to compare. Post it all in the end.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #17
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the V2's in general are pulling more HP's than the DINAN. Dinan will probably come up with some new maps in the future. Who knows. Some of the guys with the JBS2HHP are doing some amazing things. I think that upgrade would beat the DINAN for sure.
Are you sure? I have been studying the aftermarket tunes for the N54 for several months. I won't have my car until fall so I have time, but from what I can print out, the Dinan makes the most HP and Torque than any tune available.

I have seen other people mention (and globally assume) that the PRocede offers more HP/TQ, but the data I have found doesn't suggest this. Perhaps Vishnu Tuning has a good PR firm, but why is it universally accepted that Procede makes more gains than Dinan?

I am talking tune only and on 93 octane. To me, putting race gas in their BMW and taking it to a dyno is misleading.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post
Are you sure? I have been studying the aftermarket tunes for the N54 for several months. I won't have my car until fall so I have time, but from what I can print out, the Dinan makes the most HP and Torque than any tune available.

I have seen other people mention (and globally assume) that the PRocede offers more HP/TQ, but the data I have found doesn't suggest this. Perhaps Vishnu Tuning has a good PR firm, but why is it universally accepted that Procede makes more gains than Dinan?

I am talking tune only and on 93 octane. To me, putting race gas in their BMW and taking it to a dyno is misleading.
Check out this link.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=shiv+dyno

I have seen numbers all over the map SAE, Corrected, Uncorrected, Crank HP, Rear Wheel HP, BHP, 3rd gear pulls, 4th gear pulls, Types of Dyno Equipment, Temp Humidity, Fuel, User Torque Setting too high causing spark knock, but I believe the consensus is that the V2 makes the most power. I cannot make heads or tails of all this stuff anyway. I'll agree on the race fuel part. However, many of the guys like me just drive their car on the weekend so it's not too bad paying the $6/gal for 100 octane. I use 94 and that is good enough for me.

Call these companies up and talk to them and make them sell you on their products. Pick the best one and demand good service. I think Dinan HP's are very respectable. You'll love the power either way. Damn...the stock power of the 335 is amazing.

Try this one. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=shiv+dyno

Dinan Dyno
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=shiv+dyno

I think most important is the way V2 puts the HP's to the ground. It pull so wicked above 5000 RPM. Way different than most. Keep this in mind when making your final decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #19
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Cool

Quote:
Dude, it is called "Remove all the tape and the device and plug all the Factory Wires back into the stock ECU." Personally, I hate it with a passion.

... Dinan is really a "No Brainer" because you can still modify your car and get some wicked HP's and install an Exhaust...all while maintaining your Warranty. However, you will get your doors blown off if a V2 pulls up beside you. That can be as painful as the "Wife Look." LOL
Dude I believe you are getting overly dramatic here. Your doors will NOT be blown off. The V2 will ever so slightly walk you. Not by much at all. Most of the time it will come down to driver skill level and sheer balls.
      02-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #20
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
Dude I believe you are getting overly dramatic here. Your doors will NOT be blown off. The V2 will ever so slightly walk you. Not by much at all. Most of the time it will come down to driver skill level and sheer balls.
and lack of CEL/Limp mode.
      02-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #21
turbojet3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

I'm interested in seeing a Dinan car on dragtimes.com
      02-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #22
faze335i
Kimber in da Trunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have the DINAN tune and am so very pleased with the performance. It is soooo smooth from a stop and through the gears. Normal driving and when you give it that extra gas HOLD ON.. You get pinned into the seat with a HUGE GRIN! My vehicle also runs about 20 degrees cooler than before during spirited driving. All together I paid 2007.84 for the flash out the door and it was worth EVERY PENNY!
[/QUOTE]

So you didnt get the Dinan oil cooler? and the car performs and function fine in high temp. driving?