E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Valentine One (V1): Simple Mount for Concealed Display

10-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
bimmerFUD
Free Your Heel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

DIY - Valentine One (V1): Simple Mount for Concealed Display

This is a simple and cheap way to mount the V1 Concealed Display at the base of the instrument cluster. This works on my 2007 335xi, but I would think it would work for many other models.

The idea is to mount the display on a 2-inch paper binding clip.

Advantages: Cheap, easy, and IMHO, the ideal location for the display.

Disadvantages: I don't know the long term effects of the binding clip on the instrument cluster rim.

The 1st photo shows the results. At least from where I sit, the oil temp is not as blocked as this photo shows.

The 2nd photo shows how the binding clip is mounted on the rim of the instrument cluster.

The 3rd photo shows the parts required, along with the final result. Parts required:

- 1 2-inch widepaper binding clip
- 2 #6-32 1/2" machine screws, nuts, and lock washers

The 4th photo shows the binding clip mounted on the back of the display.

Steps:

1) Using heavy wire cutters, cut off the handles of the binding clip.

2) Using the display's back piece as a template, mark and drill two holes into the binding clip. The holes should be large enough for the #6 screws to pass through. You will probably need a drill press, set at very high speed (say 3000 rpm), with good (HSS) bits. The clip's steel is very strong! Also, have the clip straddle a piece of 3/4" wood stock as you drill.

3) De-burr the holes using a metal file.

4) Pass the screws + lock washers through the display's back piece. Install the back piece onto the display. The washers will help hold the screws when you tighten the nuts in the next step, as you won't have access to the screw heads.

5) Put the binding clip on over the protruding screws, followed by the nuts (see last photo). You'll need needle nose pliers and some patience to thread the nuts onto the screws. It's easy to tighten the nuts by prying a nut driver into the clip's jaws.

6) To mount the clip onto the instrument cluster rim, you'll need to pry open the clip's jaws and slide it onto the rim. I use the nut driver to pry open the jaws, or the handle of a small socket wrench. You can remove the display without any tools.

For my V1, I used the fuse box wiring described at:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ntine+hardwire

See also:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111583

To run the wire from the fuse box to the concealed display, I used the great description here:

http://forum.e90fanatics.com/e90-e91...html#post39759

Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Very nice, definitely creative.
      10-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

Very creative. I was going to just use double-sided tape and put it in front of my temp gauge, but that's nice too!

Wondering, where do you run your cable once it goes around the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
bimmerFUD
Free Your Heel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Very creative. I was going to just use double-sided tape and put it in front of my temp gauge, but that's nice too!
That's definitely easier, but does block the gauge. Also, I wanted to be able to remove the display. Velcro would be another option.

Quote:
Wondering, where do you run your cable once it goes around the steering wheel?
See

http://forum.e90fanatics.com/e90-e91...html#post39759

First, drop the panel below the steering wheel, as this guy explains, then tilt the steering wheel all the way down and you can see easily how to push the cable down to the left of the steering wheel (keep your door open so that the cabin lights are on). Then follow his instructions for getting it to the fuse box.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
efunroom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325

Very creative!

I put the display at the corner.

http://image.xcar.com.cn/attachments...zhqrAk4NUL.jpg
Appreciate 0