E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d PCV Catch Can Question

03-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #375
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
That is correct, the oil droplets are supposed to stick to the baffled portion and drip to the bottom of the can, while the vapors go out the outlet.

I'm "baffled" why BMS would put it in the outlet side...don't see how that would help.

On a side note, looks like this 2010 Caddy made use of my original idea.
haha punny :P and id assume by design its like that to prevent vapors from being baffled into drop lets to quickly escape the exit. If you put it on the exit the can will do most of the work and those who try to escape get caught. If you notice there are two baffles. One attached to the bottom and then a gap in between. I would be curious if you could turn the bottom piece around to the other side.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #376
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
That is correct, the oil droplets are supposed to stick to the baffled portion and drip to the bottom of the can, while the vapors go out the outlet.

I'm "baffled" why BMS would put it in the outlet side...don't see how that would help.
Interesting. I was thinking that the baffles on the outlet would be better due to the following:
1. When the PCV vapor first enters the can the change in volume from the tubing and the sidewalls of the metal can would help slow and cool the vapor in this first step, then hitting the baffles would increase the surface area the already cooled vapor would be touching and increase the likelihood of more condensation occurring and dripping to the bottom versus the other in/outlet configuration.

2. Having the baffles on the output would reduce the chances of collected liquid in the can splashing out the outlet due to vigorous/harsh driving as opposed to having an unobstructed path with the other in/outlet configuration.

But I haven't seen any hard data comparing #1 above, so it's just a thought experiment for me at this time. Has anyone seen any testing on which configuration works better?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #377
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Tdi, thanks again for your posts and data collection. Really glad to know that condensation is not as dire of a risk at warmer temps.
      03-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #378
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
+1 to that. Just put mine on order along with some other miscellaneous bits.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #379
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Interesting. I was thinking that the baffles on the outlet would be better due to the following:
I guess it would be nice to have them on both.
Here is nice explanation.
http://oilcatchcan.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #380
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

I put a weep-hole in the intercooler outlet area a couple months back. Today I checked it. Even with the catch can there's still oil collecting in, and weeping out, the intercooler. It appears that even though the can is catching some of the oil, there's still some making it past and collecting in the intercooler. Which means there's likely still some making it into the intake track/valves.

Plugged the hole in the intercooler today and am planning to drain/compare the amount collected in the catch can vs what drains out the intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #381
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Tdi, thanks again for your posts and data collection. Really glad to know that condensation is not as dire of a risk at warmer temps.
For those who have posted and IM'd, you're welcome.

This is a single sample size and limited geographical/environmental condition based observation. But I'd hope it's not too far off from the "average". Cold certainly constrains a lot of choices/requirements for the system designers...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #382
p27rpy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Great info here. Watching these results intently as I am picking up my D tomorrow from the dealer after having both turbos replaced and the intercooler cleaned due to oil. Looks like this is a must-do modification once my warranty is up in 6,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #383
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Hey BMS how about selling a catch can kit for the 335d?...charge an arm and a leg and I'd be willing to bet you that everyone but the most hardcore DIYers would buy it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #384
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
I put a weep-hole in the intercooler outlet area a couple months back. Today I checked it. Even with the catch can there's still oil collecting in, and weeping out, the intercooler. It appears that even though the can is catching some of the oil, there's still some making it past and collecting in the intercooler. Which means there's likely still some making it into the intake track/valves.

Plugged the hole in the intercooler today and am planning to drain/compare the amount collected in the catch can vs what drains out the intercooler.
If the OCC were perfect as in caught every oil molecule coming from the breather pipe, couldn't we still get oil in intercooler coming from turbos (i.e. the seals)? Just thinking out loud....
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #385
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
If the OCC were perfect as in caught every oil molecule coming from the breather pipe, couldn't we still get oil in intercooler coming from turbos (i.e. the seals)? Just thinking out loud....
Or wondering if what TDI is seeing is just residual oil making its way to the weap hole.

Seem some youtube videos of guys on the VW diesel forums carefully using a spray bottle of water on their intake to help 'steam clean' the intake tract. I've been curious if this would work or if it is the proverbial internet snake oil.

Steps go like this.

1. Pull a vacuum hose
2. With engine running carefully meter in sprayed water mist from the bottle.
3. As this water mist gets sucked in and compressed it cleans the ports and valves.
4. Risk is to insure you are careful and modest not to spray too much as water does not compress like gas does in the combustion chamber.

However like I said....I don't know if this is a real thing or bogus.
      03-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #386
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M
Quote:
Or wondering if what TDI is seeing is just residual oil making its way to the weap hole.

Seem some youtube videos of guys on the VW diesel forums carefully using a spray bottle of water on their intake to help 'steam clean' the intake tract. I've been curious if this would work or if it is the proverbial internet snake oil.

Steps go like this.

1. Pull a vacuum hose
2. With engine running carefully meter in sprayed water mist from the bottle.
3. As this water mist gets sucked in and compressed it cleans the ports and valves.
4. Risk is to insure you are careful and modest not to spray too much as water does not compress like gas does in the combustion chamber.

However like I said....I don't know if this is a real thing or bogus.
Water injection set ups clean carbon deposits so I don't see why this wouldn't work.. I would say you need 2 people to do this.. One to work the throttle or even brake boost it so you build a little turbo boost and one to spray the water.. Engine sound will change when there is too much water... The higher you can make the boost the better it works .. Boost is adding heat and pressure
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #387
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Mark M and BB cuda, good points and you could likely both be correct.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #388
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:

On a side note, looks like this 2010 Caddy made use of my original idea.
Isn't a caddie 3.6 a naturally aspirated engine though? It all depends on the the 3.6L crank case pressure versus our 3.0L turbo diesel.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #389
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Isn't a caddie 3.6 a naturally aspirated engine though? It all depends on the the 3.6L crank case pressure versus our 3.0L turbo diesel.
Yes it is, that's why I decided to buy the expensive catch can for the 335d instead. Waiting for it to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #390
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers View Post
Water injection set ups clean carbon deposits so I don't see why this wouldn't work.. I would say you need 2 people to do this.. One to work the throttle or even brake boost it so you build a little turbo boost and one to spray the water.. Engine sound will change when there is too much water... The higher you can make the boost the better it works .. Boost is adding heat and pressure
Here is the pisser...I feel like all the things I need to do to ensure the long-term reliability of the car need to be put on hold because of my 100K warranty. Does anyone know for certain whether or not installing a catch can will invalidate the CPO warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #391
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers View Post
Here is the pisser...I feel like all the things I need to do to ensure the long-term reliability of the car need to be put on hold because of my 100K warranty. Does anyone know for certain whether or not installing a catch can will invalidate the CPO warranty?
I've been wondering the same thing and I will ask my dealer today.. I'm willing to bet it goes unnoticed by the dealership unless it's a bright blue/red anodized can.. That black bms one should hide just fine
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #392
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

The BMW dealership installed the oil catch can from BMS on my coworkers 135i, under miscillineous for 1/2 labor. Lol. It depends on the dealership unfortunately they are all not the same. Try to go to one that is authorized to do performance mods (ie: authorized Dinan)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #393
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
The BMW dealership installed the oil catch can from BMS on my coworkers 135i, under miscillineous for 1/2 labor. Lol. It depends on the dealership unfortunately they are all not the same. Try to go to one that is authorized to do performance mods (ie: authorized Dinan)
I have a Dinan Dealer near me Braman BMW but i doubt theyll install the Can. Only because of the difficulty of it. 135i is basically plug and play. Hope they say yes. I will head straight to mine haha. But it seems the 335d isnt listed under Dinans performance section so it says a bit about that.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #394
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushibo View Post
I have a Dinan Dealer near me Braman BMW but i doubt theyll install the Can. Only because of the difficulty of it. 135i is basically plug and play. Hope they say yes. I will head straight to mine haha. But it seems the 335d isnt listed under Dinans performance section so it says a bit about that.
To this day I cannot understand why no manufacturer made a catch can system for the 335d, in the US or EU. It is not that complex and there is definitely enough demand.

I doubt a dealer will install for the 335d, since its all custom fittings, however the point I was trying to make is regarding the warranty. If they are willing to do it to a 135i they shouldn't discriminate if they see a 335d with a clean installed catch can.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #395
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
To this day I cannot understand why no manufacturer made a catch can system for the 335d, in the US or EU. It is not that complex and there is definitely enough demand.

I doubt a dealer will install for the 335d, since its all custom fittings, however the point I was trying to make is regarding the warranty. If they are willing to do it to a 135i they shouldn't discriminate if they see a 335d with a clean installed catch can.
I understand and I guess because in the US theres not a big market of us. Were kind of a niche haha. The sensors honestly to me make it the most difficult part because its proprietary. If they used just a normal pipe and relocated the sensors adding a can wouldn't be so hard. As of now im happy with my setup I was going to post photos tomorrow of how my setup is going. Lets see how much oil I got going for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #396
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

preview

Weekend project is here.
Nice design, even has a dip stick, lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0