E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW 335i (N54) turbo warranty extended for wastegate issues to 8yrs/82k miles

11-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #89
Dancccp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Space Grey

Rattle Warranty extended

Dropped off my 335 (2007 56,800mi no warranty) at Life Quality in Brooklyn today. Was told that they couldn't find anything related to this, and that no warranty had showed up on their computers. I emailed the SA while at his desk with a pdf of the document posted here (thank you op). He showed it to the general manager, and told me that its not a warranty or recall, "it was just a service bulletin."

The SA then proceeded to explain that they will need to run a diagnostic on the car, which will cost a smooth $209.95 if the problem is not related to the SIB. I was confident that it was in fact the rattle, and signed off on the document.

8:20AM - Dropped of the car
4:20PM - Called SA, car hasn't been looked at yet "Be patient"

First time dealing with BMW repair center, and not very impressed as of now.
Saw the car get valeted straight to the parking lot when I was leaving.

Hopefully. (fingers crossed) the problem will be fixed. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #90
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancccp View Post
Dropped off my 335 (2007 56,800mi no warranty) at Life Quality in Brooklyn today. Was told that they couldn't find anything related to this, and that no warranty had showed up on their computers. I emailed the SA while at his desk with a pdf of the document posted here (thank you op). He showed it to the general manager, and told me that its not a warranty or recall, "it was just a service bulletin."

The SA then proceeded to explain that they will need to run a diagnostic on the car, which will cost a smooth $209.95 if the problem is not related to the SIB. I was confident that it was in fact the rattle, and signed off on the document.

8:20AM - Dropped of the car
4:20PM - Called SA, car hasn't been looked at yet "Be patient"

First time dealing with BMW repair center, and not very impressed as of now.
Saw the car get valeted straight to the parking lot when I was leaving.

Hopefully. (fingers crossed) the problem will be fixed. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.
Wow, yet another dealership without a clue, sure makes one wonder wtf!

Try another dealership if you get denied and last ditch effort would be to call BMWNA and have them get involved but that in itself could be a can of worms. Good luck and keep us posted, as well all might have to face this day if we keep our cars into yrs 5 to 10.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #91
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_World View Post
The main things they look for (from my experience) is dp and charge pipes. Intakes are subjectable but those are easy to take back to stock so why not. I could have got mines replaced if I would have kept my stock charge pipe .
I'm sure it's somewhere on this thread, but here is a quote from the bulletin, which is SI B 01 02 12: BMW NA has agreed to extend, to a total of 8 years or 82,000 miles, whichever comes first, the emissions warranties covering the Settlement Class Members’ vehicles for any failure of a turbocharger caused by a defect in a turbocharger wastegate.

The terms of the original New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty and applicable emissions warranty still apply. BMW NA will not provide warranty coverage to any Settlement Class Member’s vehicle containing modifications or alterations to the turbocharger or its wastegates (software, hardware or otherwise), or evidencing other conditions not normally covered under the original New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty or applicable emissions warranty.

Modifications excluded from warranty coverage include any aftermarket parts that affect the turbocharger system, or if there are other conditions that would normally exclude it from warranty coverage.

So basically anything that alters the operation of the wastegates or turbos can get the extended coverage denied. And from what I know, this extended coverage only covers complete turbo replacement due to wastegate-related failure. If you just have a rattle (cosmetic) and no binding/reduced-power warnings, it might not be covered. I don't think the updated wastegate actuator repair (replacing just the wastegate actuators) applies to this coverage. This is an "emissions" warranty, afterall.
      11-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #92
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

will only having DCI affect this being able to get new turbos? i have been to the dealer with them for the entire time i have had the car and they have done warranty work before on it and never said anything. do you think i would be ok with DCI? thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #93
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I'm sure it's somewhere on this thread, but here is a quote from the bulletin, which is SI B 01 02 12: BMW NA has agreed to extend, to a total of 8 years or 82,000 miles, whichever comes first, the emissions warranties covering the Settlement Class Members’ vehicles for any failure of a turbocharger caused by a defect in a turbocharger wastegate.

The terms of the original New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty and applicable emissions warranty still apply. BMW NA will not provide warranty coverage to any Settlement Class Member’s vehicle containing modifications or alterations to the turbocharger or its wastegates (software, hardware or otherwise), or evidencing other conditions not normally covered under the original New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty or applicable emissions warranty.

Modifications excluded from warranty coverage include any aftermarket parts that affect the turbocharger system, or if there are other conditions that would normally exclude it from warranty coverage.

So basically anything that alters the operation of the wastegates or turbos can get the extended coverage denied. And from what I know, this extended coverage only covers complete turbo replacement due to wastegate-related failure. If you just have a rattle (cosmetic) and no binding/reduced-power warnings, it might not be covered. I don't think the updated wastegate actuator repair (replacing just the wastegate actuators) applies to this coverage. This is an "emissions" warranty, afterall.
I have a good relationship with my dealer and they told me to bring my car in stock so they could replace my turbos under this warranty. I just crapped out because I threw away my stock charge pipe years ago. On a positive note, I'm upgrading to RB's soon so not sweating it.
      11-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #94
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
I have a good relationship with my dealer and they told me to bring my car in stock so they could replace my turbos under this warranty. I just crapped out because I threw away my stock charge pipe years ago. On a positive note, I'm upgrading to RB's soon so not sweating it.
Yeah, that's the main thing. As long as it comes in stock and has a legitimate wastegate failure, you should be good to go. Most dealers and Techs/SA's are easy to work with if you do that -- even if they know the car was modified.

But bringing in a modifed car and expecting a flat-rate Technician to remove/install aftermarket parts (intercooler, downpipe, etc.) during a warranty repair is another story. That's the sort of thing that will get your coverage denied. Bringing the car in 100% stock would be my advice for anyone considering getting this done.
      11-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #95
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Yeah, that's the main thing. As long as it comes in stock and has a legitimate wastegate failure, you should be good to go. Most dealers and Techs/SA's are easy to work with if you do that -- even if they know the car was modified.

But bringing in a modifed car and expecting a flat-rate Technician to remove/install aftermarket parts (intercooler, downpipe, etc.) during a warranty repair is another story. That's the sort of thing that will get your coverage denied. Bringing the car in 100% stock would be my advice for anyone considering getting this done.
Ok... I think I am getting trolled... why are you telling me stuff that I already know?
      11-20-2012, 02:54 AM   #96
KFJ512a
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i, e60 525i M-Sport

i just noticed the rattling at on my car about a week ago and its always there after i let off the gas at about 3500 rpm. I had purchased my car a while back from a used car dealer and the warranty with them has ended. I called a local bmw dealer near me and had a lovely conversation about what i could do to fix the car and such and he told me that i need new waste gates.

Now out of curiosity, i read on this thread about some 8/82000miles or something warranty for our engines. Do i apply to that? By the way i obviously dont have any extended warranty with any bmw dealership. I have a feeeling im gunna go broke if i need to get new turbos which alot of you guys got but under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #97
Dancccp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Space Grey

Waste Gate rattle @the dealer update

As a follow up to my last post
Just got off the phone with my SA over at Life Quality

He notified me of SI B 11 13 07 (Attached)

Said that my car doesn't qualify for SI B 01 02 12 because of an outdated DME software. Mine is 06-12-510, needs to be 08-03-530 or higher.

The damage is as follows, 210.00 for the diagnostic + 2 hours of labor to reprogram= $480.00

Said that if problem is not fixed by the DME update, then they will proceed with SI B 01 02 12

They are keeping the car overnight, and will start programming tomorrow morning.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B 11 13 07 N54 Rattle Noise from Turbocharger Area.PDF (68.2 KB, 1335 views)

Last edited by Dancccp; 11-20-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #98
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:

Said that my car doesn't qualify for SI B 01 02 12 because of an outdated DME software. Mine is 06-12-510, needs to be 08-03-530 or higher.

The damage is as follows, 210.00 for the diagnostic + 2 hours of labor to reprogram= $480.00

Said that if problem is not fixed by the DME update, then they will proceed with SI B 01 02 12

They are keeping the car overnight, and will start programming tomorrow morning.
I thought dealers WANTED the warranty work because they get $ from bmwna? .. my SA did everything to push me away when I asked.
      11-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #99
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

i just did this got all bran new turbos and everything, now i know my service tech as a friend, if you DO NOT. TAKE OFF YOUR PARTS/TUNE and delete codes return vehicle to stock, BMWNA will flag all vehicles to get diagnostics reports sent to them so they can analyze to see if you have had any aftermarket parts, mostly looking for a tune and revs past stock. JB4 should NOT leave a footprint they can easily find.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #100
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Ok... I think I am getting trolled... why are you telling me stuff that I already know?
As an insider, I felt some people might not be completely aware of these things. The extended wastegate warranty is not the same as a regular 4/50 or CPO warranty, and the SIB states pretty clearly the car has to be unmodified.
      11-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #101
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

Quote:

Did they say how updating the DME is supposed to fix the problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #102
Bimmer305
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTMH8N View Post
Did they say how updating the DME is supposed to fix the problem?
I think it may fix the problem.

I just got a new DME which it most have the latest firmware, and I have no rattle at all now. I don't if it because I have the stock downpipes on or not but but the rattle is gone.
I'll be installing back my cat-less dowpipes sometime next week and see if rattle comes back.
      11-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #103
Persian_535i
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

If the wastegate is rattling and it is due to the DME, it's pretty dumb that it isn't covered under the warranty regardless of whether it is due to outdated software or not, it's still the wastegate which is rattling.

Whatever fixes the rattle should be covered, new DME under warranty imo.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #104
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

Bring them the Service bulletin, they cant deny that.. coming from someone that Has brand new turbos at 70k (myself)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #105
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer305 View Post
I think it may fix the problem.

I just got a new DME which it most have the latest firmware, and I have no rattle at all now. I don't if it because I have the stock downpipes on or not but but the rattle is gone.
I'll be installing back my cat-less dowpipes sometime next week and see if rattle comes back.
Interesting. $400 might be worth an updated DME and no "normal rattle". I don't have the wastegate fail rattle but updating the DME to prevent it might be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #106
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I just had my wastegates replaced at 81,300 miles by the dealer under this bulletin. called up the SA and he was aware of the bulletin, asked me to bring it in and they'd take a look at no cost; I was very clear and specific about when and how to recreate the rattling sounds - typed it all out and left the note with the SA. While they did not replace my turbos, since they were "functioning properly," I now have new wastegates and NO MORE RATTLES!! I couldn't beleive how quite the car was when i got it back. I have a manual which may make the rattles more frequent, especially during initial start up - I used to have to wait to pull away from any parking spots because of the embarrassing tin can rattling sounds. Be very clear about how to reproduce the rattles, and know that most dealerships need the business. Just bring you car in as stock as possible (I uninstalled cobb, but left the DCI; I let the SA know and he said it's fine as this doesn't affect the WG's.)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #107
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
I just had my wastegates replaced at 81,300 miles by the dealer under this bulletin. called up the SA and he was aware of the bulletin, asked me to bring it in and they'd take a look at no cost; I was very clear and specific about when and how to recreate the rattling sounds - typed it all out and left the note with the SA. While they did not replace my turbos, since they were "functioning properly," I now have new wastegates and NO MORE RATTLES!! I couldn't beleive how quite the car was when i got it back. I have a manual which may make the rattles more frequent, especially during initial start up - I used to have to wait to pull away from any parking spots because of the embarrassing tin can rattling sounds. Be very clear about how to reproduce the rattles, and know that most dealerships need the business. Just bring you car in as stock as possible (I uninstalled cobb, but left the DCI; I let the SA know and he said it's fine as this doesn't affect the WG's.)
good to know!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #108
blackpixi7
Registered Bro
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Reviving this thread -

Has anyone had any success in getting a dealer to replace their turbo's not from the waste-gate rattle but due to the audible 'police siren' whining? I'm on my second N54 car, a stock, '08 135i with 70k, which has begun to emit a loud whine I haven't heard on my previous 335i or on any other 'normal' N54 car I've encountered. The SA's at my local dealership, Princeton BMW, in my experience have never really been hospitable or overly helpful in any of my dealings with them, and usually seek every conceivable excuse before performing warranty work. I'm weighing my options as I'm hoping to keep this car for a while. Any insight is appreciated.