E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone every wrapped (vinyl)

05-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
evil_scooby
m340i owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ex Scoob, Ex S4, ex 335d m340i

Anyone every wrapped (vinyl)

A new company has opened up in Glasgow doing Vinyl wraps and I was thinking about going for it and turning my car from grey to white.

Just wondering if anyone in the UK has done it before, and if so
Where -
How much -
Do you like it-
Any down sides-
Whats it like when washed / do you wax it? -
Any pics

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
A335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I've only had parts of my car done in vinyl but was thinking about doing the whole thing but ended up not. Got quoted £1,100 for the whole vehicle to wrap in matte black and extra £200-300 to do the insides of the doors etc by totally dynamic. Would definitely do the insides as it looks unfinished if not.

I think that most people who have done it are going to say yes they do like it as otherwise it would have been a big waste of money and most who haven't are going to say the same as usual 'you should just have bought a white car in the first place'. So it is a personal taste thing, however, all vinyled e92's i've seen look good, very eye catching due to the colour.

Down sides is they chip easily. I doubt anyone has never had a chip, especially on the front of their car. With the chips they look worse on vinyl that if it wasn't vinyled due to breaking the smooth texture of the vinyl. Also to maintain the new wrapped look a lot of people re vinyl every 3 years or so as vinyl has a limited outdoor life. Even though some have over 10 years outdoor life, it's going to look very crap if you kept the vinyl on the car for that long. Also depending what sort of white you get, pearl or matte white, swirl marks will be much more visible on the glossier colours.

Vinyl is very easy to clean, you can make it look as new by using warm water and a bit of soap. I don't think you use waxy stuff on vinyl as it will just stay on there, water and soap are probably the best things to use and then wipe with surface cleaner to bring out the shine.
Appreciate 0