E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > My $0.02 Steering Angle Sensor Fix

03-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #45
gjf1234
Rep
Drives: 325i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maconperformance View Post
OK - I have this and got up the nerve to tackle it and could not get the air bag released... I tried different size allen wrenches, could not find a spring release for it anywhere. Maybe i'm mechanically challenged? Is anyone located in GA that might could help me or direct me to someone close... I would love to have my cruise control working again along with the dash free of lights... Thank you in advance!
I just did this and it was spot on! Thanks.

Look at the pictures.(pic 3 & 4) I used a flat head screwdriver. You should be able to press in the metal spring clip that holds it in on either side.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #46
Maconperformance
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

OK - I did get it off.. Thanks to a video that I found on youtube... Cleaned the disk w/ no luck... Infact now it seems that the headlights are acting more crazy!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #47
stbradle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Xdrive M-sport

I have had the dreaded faults for close to 7 months now. They were intermittent in the beginning, but then were constantly on. I had steering angle, yaw rate, and DSC errors. I used an INPA software program and serial-usb cable from China to access the computer to find this information.

My errors resulted in loss of cruise control, HDC, DTC, 4x4, turn signal constantly on, and loss of brake assist. The turn signal was the most annoying so I attempted this fix to see if it would work.

This was a great DIY. I read up on another one that was a DIY guide for the sport steering wheel upgrade as well for further clarity. I took out the optical dis and cleaned it well like a DVD or CD using 100% isopropyl alcohol. There was quite a bit of crystallized build-up. I also used a Q-tip soaked with alcohol to clean the LED. Then I put everything back together and it did not fix my errors unfortunately. However, the turn signal issue went away surprisingly.

I then thought it might be my alignment since I noticed in the software that I still had yaw rate and steering angle sensor errors. My car drifts a little to the left. Low and behold, I got it aligned, used the software to run the longitudinal sensor calibration and all errors went away, YAY!

I am still happy i took the gunk off of the optical disc because that is just some nice security going forward. So all is well and I saved a lot of money!
"For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.'' Roman 10:13
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #48
tomking
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e91 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzem View Post
Nice job! But still i don't really get it, how does this actually work? i mean what happend here? Is the DTC, DSC, DBC working now? will it be able to detect malfunctions again?

My prob. is that when i changed the slip ring, to retrofit multifunction buttons, those 3 lights came up, "traction control, yellow handbrake, and that yellow tire pressure light too" and yet the DTC isn't working.. So will this solve my problem? Thanks!
I have same prob
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #49
stbradle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude2perfect View Post
Took it apart again and this time removed the led cover with my new mini torx set. Cleaned everything again with alcohol and even polished the optical disc with meguirers plastix. Still not working. I studied both sides of the board as well and didn't notice any bad connections on the board.

Maybe this isn't my problem? Or maybe I'm just unlucky and have to buy a new one?

I don't have a navigation screen so I don't know what faults I'm getting but, my abs light and red brake light are on and my traction control is off. My cruise control, abs, headlight tracking, and start off assist don't work.
Does your car drift to the left or right? If your yaw rate is off (meaning alignment), you will definitely have errors as I have experienced. Also, if your run flats are faulted (CC ID 50) you also will get more errors associated with these safety systems (DSC)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #50
TheTallJS
United_States
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
this crystalized build up you guys talk of, is it like anodized corrosion dust or what? white stuff? where's it all coming from? Man... Gotta say, this seems like a really daunting and complicated task, college education or not.... But i'll definitely give it a go in the near future... I've got all the warning lights on the dash like a christmas tree. Just waiting for the right time to dive in...

Last edited by TheTallJS; 04-07-2012 at 05:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #51
stbradle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarjay View Post
this crystalized build up you guys talk of, is it like anodized corrosion dust or what? white stuff? where's it all coming from? Man... Gotta say, this seems like a really daunting and complicated task, college education or not.... But i'll definitely give it a go in the near future... I've got all the warning lights on the dash like a christmas tree. Just waiting for the right time to dive in...
It just looks like the coating degraded over time to form a cloudy surface. It is hard to say exactly what it is...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #52
landman2k1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435ix

For those having trouble getting the air bag out... if you look at pic #6, those 2 "tube" looking areas at 4 & 7 o'clock running from the corners towards the steering wheel bolt are what you are shooting for. It took me some time, but once I found it on one side, it was pretty hard to miss on the other. Cleaning the disc fixed my problems. I was only getting the errors when turning left. When the steering wheel reached a certain spot, it threw the errors.
      04-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #53
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Has anyone had this issue but didn't have the light come on on their dash?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #54
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

how long should this process (steps in the guide) take from start to finish if I just clean, and do not attempt soldering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derick1981 View Post
I followed this and did the cleaning to the sensor and reassembled the steering wheel. This did not help with my car. I took it apart again and this time I took a heat gun to the circuit board just like a PS3 Yellow light of death. It worked! Has been a week now with no DSC, DTC, or start off assistance light. Wooo hoooo. Thank you for this write up.
Also - Does anyone know why he used a heat gun? I searched the entire guide and did not find this anywhere. What step is this in place of?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #55
yikes98
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17'F15,11'E90,07'E92,96'E36,20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom (Atl) View Post

Also - Does anyone know why he used a heat gun? I searched the entire guide and did not find this anywhere. What step is this in place of?

Thanks!
He is heating the whole board so all the solder joint reflow, somewhere around 400F. It's a trick to reflow solder joints on solder on processors but it's a careful balance in reflowing vs overheating. Search goggle on Xbox 360 red rings of death fix and all will be revealed. I did individual components and that worked too. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #56
RadzF36
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

I had this problem for a while in my car, yesterday I found this post, today i followed it point by point. I took the PC board out but did not resolder any joints. Basically cleaned the disk and LED. Problem fixed. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #57
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

So I had some help doing this today with some local e90posters! we cleaned it with 91% alcohol, and it ended up getting the crystals off, but looking more smudged overall than before. we put it back together and it seemed to work a little better (the left turn signal now self cancels), but then a few minutes later it went back to its full problematic past.

so im thinking i have to take it apart again and use actual plastic cleaner.
any tips on what to use? meguiars?

did anyone else have this problem?

we didn't resolder the board, btw.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #58
RadzF36
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

i have used methylated spirit to clean the disc, and made sure no smudges were left behind.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #59
TheTallJS
United_States
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
So I finally attempt to do this after almost half a year driving with the christmas lights. Great write-up btw.

So I didn't find any flakey stuff on the front part of the optical disk, but there was a decent amount of gunk on the backside. The gunk apparently originated from the old dried up lube that is on the disk's neck tube thing. I just took a microfiber towel and rubbed it off. I also noticed some scratches on the back of the disk, probably due to the disk's neck wearing and tearing, so eventually the disk will need to be replaced, or the whole thing that holds it; (someone bought it and was trying to sell it in earlier posts).

*Edit*
All errors are gone. Wow....

Total time: 3 and 1/2 hours.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheTallJS; 05-28-2012 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #60
Fosterside
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Just thought I would chime in with another success story after following this guide. I cannot thank the OP enough!!

I had taken my 328i coupe to a local repair shop to replace a faulty water pump that lead to overheating (a $1,000 repair in itself) and asked that they also take a look at the DSC malfunction. It had been a problem for about a year and had all the standard symptoms: myriad of errors reported upon startup, no cruise, turn signals would not shut off, etc... They said I needed a new steering angle sensor and it would cost another $1100! Naturally I just said that I could live with the problem and that's when I found this post.

I followed the instructions up until the soldering steps, and just settled for a good cleaning of the optical disk, the LED sensor, and the shield covering the sensor. After putting everything back in place and starting the car again all the malfunctions still popped up, but upon pulling out of the driveway they all disappeared and everything seems to be working as expected after a couple hours of driving.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Fosterside; 06-16-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #61
dsvk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i E93

E93 with paddle shifters

Hey everyone. I'm trying to take care of this on my E93 with paddle shifters but it seems that I'm stuck on pic #4 (On each side of the steering wheel at 4 & 7 o’clock position there are small slits on the surface, put a straight torx driver or allen key into. Feel for the spring and push to release the springs, pic#3 & #4. ).

EDIT: Last week I stopped by a local BMW shop and they showed me where I need to drill through the rubber parts of the steering wheel to get to those 2 screws (pic 3/4). Since 2008 model those screws are covered so you have to feel with you fingers to find the holes and then poke through them. Weird!

Last edited by dsvk; 10-26-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #62
slopokdave
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

When you all started having this problem, what other symptoms did you have? I've owned the car since October last year and I've had this problem twice: Start up from cold, drive maybe 2-3 blocks, after first turn I get DSC warning, brake light, and car bucks/slows like its in limp mode. I turn it off and back on and it goes away instantly. Do any of you have the car shake, etc when it happens and have to stop or can you keep driving?

I disabled my jb4 auto clear and I'll keep an eye out on codes, right now it says there are none, so I'll have to let it happen then check back.

Last edited by slopokdave; 06-24-2012 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #63
topmar
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: E90 320d PPK+RaceChip(209HP)

Garage List
Hello to all,

I had the same Steering Wheel Sensor probem in my E90 320d (3/08) and I fixed it yesterday in a Greek BMW Dealer.

Just to inform you guys, that if anyone of you doesn't want to do the whole described above job, you don't need to replace the whole BMW Genuine Part Number: 61 31 9 123 049!!

There is a BMW Repair Kit (BMW Genuine Part Number: 83 19 2 179 894) which replaces the disk, the IR led and applies new lubricant on it.......most important, it costs only 45 Euro the part plus another 80 Euro for the installation, in total 125 Euro!

The above kit applies for models up to 11/2008 ONLY!!

Take care all.....
      09-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #64
db2761
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Thanks to the OP... This saved me some cash!

DB
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #65
incantana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z06/Z07 3LZ; 2008 E93 M3

thank you thank you thank you. just used this guide to clean the disk. did not solder anything. put it back together and I have had zero problems since.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #66
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep
Drives: with both hands on the wheel

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by incantana View Post
thank you thank you thank you. just used this guide to clean the disk. did not solder anything. put it back together and I have had zero problems since.
Feels good, doesn't it?!! I had this problem last year (14 months ago) and this thread saved me.
Appreciate 0