E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Garrett GTX 2863R Turbo Chargers

03-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
Buying the turbos is the easy part. There's reasons why really smart people took years to figure out how to do a single turbo or 2 gt28s.

Cutting and welding some tube is the hard part? Its not hard, just requires investment and not a whole lot of it.
So do it. Don't buy vargas' kit, go build your own POS kit for cheap. Please post back results within 3 months (as did vargas), I'd love to see what you come up with. And FYI, the price is for 1 turbo. You guys are ridiculous. Sell the BMW if you can't afford $7k on turbos, or build your own, but until you do either kindly STFU.
Hahahaha ^^ well said
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #24
litz4244
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m6gc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
Buying the turbos is the easy part. There's reasons why really smart people took years to figure out how to do a single turbo or 2 gt28s.

Cutting and welding some tube is the hard part? Its not hard, just requires investment and not a whole lot of it.
So do it. Don't buy vargas' kit, go build your own POS kit for cheap. Please post back results within 3 months (as did vargas), I'd love to see what you come up with. And FYI, the price is for 1 turbo. You guys are ridiculous. Sell the BMW if you can't afford $7k on turbos, or build your own, but until you do either kindly STFU.
Haha well said. Just remember the same people crying about price were never in the market for a turbo upgrade. They are just window shoppers looking for attention.
      03-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #25
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

from what we've seen so far the price seems fair.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #26
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Who is Vargas? Is he selling these cheaper?

You need two of these, so it is not going to be cheap. This price is for one turbo only.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #27
JC335xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smi1gj View Post
from what we've seen so far the price seems fair.
+1

The turbos are worth almost half the cost of the kit by themselves...

Parting out car. For sale thread here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167583
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

as far as doing a kit yourself, go for it. I doing it with a 6466 with a shop now and it's just about finished. took them a couple months and you'll find by doing a quality kit independently you will still spend a very pretty penny
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
USAF Rick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 08 335i e92

Geez, what's going on.. I don't think there's any reason for anyone to come out and tell someone that they're cheap just because they're trying to save some money.. This forum reaches out to everyone in the world from various demographics with one common interest, their BMW.

FBO
Instagram: RickyyyyyH
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #30
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smi1gj View Post
as far as doing a kit yourself, go for it. I doing it with a 6466 with a shop now and it's just about finished. took them a couple months and you'll find by doing a quality kit independently you will still spend a very pretty penny
That is just great. You do what you do the best and can get others to do it for you. You get it installed too, which is always extra $ and you have a unique custom setup for you only that you've been designing. Props!!

Some can do it themselves and save but we are all different with different preferences and skills.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post

Why are you getting butt hurt over my opinion. Since you know my finances so well to know what I can or cant afford. Why dont you buy the kit or otherwise sell your car just as you said...

My point is this kit is not worth $7000 at its discounted rate. Not the turbos, not his labor, nor material adds up to $7000 or more. He himself said he can build Shiv's/FFTEC turbo kit for $2k, but since thats a single turbo add another turbo to it for $1k. Yet this guy is asking $7k at intro pricing... This guy works at $60/hour...

I'm debating on getting my hands on his exhaust manifold and taking it to a local shop or sending to china for reproducing. I could like him charge an arm and a leg and idiots like yourself buy into, cause if you drive a leased bmw that must mean you have $7k to wastefully spend.

You sound like an immature kid, not sure why I bothered to reply to such nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #32
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
Investment and potential to sell units...

Example, looking at the FRS/BRZ market, they made turbo kits within a few months. Why? Because they have a lot of people willing to invest into it.
Wrong... I'm beginning to wonder if you are really that ignorant. Subaru is one of the easiest platforms to work on and turbocharge. All models are like legos, it is one of the few brands where you can swap an entire vehicle from one to the other. Hence, the Legacy STi's, 2002/2003 Bugeye full STi swaps including tranny, differential, motor, interior, etc.

The BRZ was going to be turbo charged before it was even released. The BRZ STi should also be turbo charged. If not, the kit will be sold into that market as well. Little investment went into the kit for the BRZ and the people that did invest, were the same people that invested into the WRX and STi.

You cannot compare making a kit for the E92 to a Subaru. They are no where near alike, no where near as technical, and no where near as spendy. It is comparing apples to oranges......
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #33
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Why are you getting butt hurt over my opinion. Since you know my finances so well to know what I can or cant afford. Why dont you buy the kit or otherwise sell your car just as you said...

My point is this kit is not worth $7000 at its discounted rate. Not the turbos, not his labor, nor material adds up to $7000 or more. He himself said he can build Shiv's/FFTEC turbo kit for $2k, but since thats a single turbo add another turbo to it for $1k. Yet this guy is asking $7k at intro pricing... This guy works at $60/hour...

I'm debating on getting my hands on his exhaust manifold and taking it to a local shop or sending to china for reproducing. I could like him charge an arm and a leg and idiots like yourself buy into, cause if you drive a leased bmw that must mean you have $7k to wastefully spend.

You sound like an immature kid, not sure why I bothered to reply to such nonsense.
lol..

Here is one of Perrin's kits, one of the top of the line manufacturers of aftermarket parts for Subaru and Mitsubishi. Look at what it comes with... And you are saying Vargas is ripping people off? Compared to this kit for $4,500.00, his kit is a steal!!!! To be fair, Ultimate Racing's GT35R kits are about the same. Gruppe-S's kits were also priced about the same.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/sub...turbo-gtx3582r
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #34
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
lol..

Here is one of Perrin's kits, one of the top of the line manufacturers of aftermarket parts for Subaru and Mitsubishi. Look at what it comes with... And you are saying Vargas is ripping people off? Compared to this kit for $4,500.00, his kit is a steal!!!! To be fair, Ultimate Racing's GT35R kits are about the same. Gruppe-S's kits were also priced about the same.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/sub...turbo-gtx3582r
I dont care if Perrin is ripping people off or not. I dont own a Subaru or such, but I would agree what their asking doesnt seem reasonable. Might be because they have their name behind it? Or a 5 year warranty?

I hope BMS comes out with turbo kit. I know for a fact that they wouldn't mark up the prices just to be comparable to other big name shops.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #35
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
Wrong... I'm beginning to wonder if you are really that ignorant. Subaru is one of the easiest platforms to work on and turbocharge. All models are like legos, it is one of the few brands where you can swap an entire vehicle from one to the other. Hence, the Legacy STi's, 2002/2003 Bugeye full STi swaps including tranny, differential, motor, interior, etc.

The BRZ was going to be turbo charged before it was even released. The BRZ STi should also be turbo charged. If not, the kit will be sold into that market as well. Little investment went into the kit for the BRZ and the people that did invest, were the same people that invested into the WRX and STi.

You cannot compare making a kit for the E92 to a Subaru. They are no where near alike, no where near as technical, and no where near as spendy. It is comparing apples to oranges......
All japanese cars are like legos when it comes to motor swaps and drive train.
BRZ was going to be turbo charged before being released why? Cause the investment was there...

The little investment that went into A brz/frs turbo kit is about the same that went into n54, some piping, a turbo and couplers. You swear Vargas took the time or used engineer drawings to fab up equal length manifold.

Your right the turbo kit for a brz is no where near as technical as the vargas kit
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #36
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

SfValley335i, you have no clue what you are talking about. When you add up all the parts and labor and factor in the fact that this is what Tony makes a living from, you realize that the price isn't bad at all.

If you want to be a know it all then please go right ahead and make one yourself. There's already a guy that's made a single turbo kit himself. Time for you to make a twin.

I think you summed up pretty well what kind of person you are. You'd steal someone else's work and send it to China for cheap replicas. That's pretty trashy.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #37
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I dont care if Perrin is ripping people off or not. I dont own a Subaru or such, but I would agree what their asking doesnt seem reasonable. Might be because they have their name behind it? Or a 5 year warranty?

I hope BMS comes out with turbo kit. I know for a fact that they wouldn't mark up the prices just to be comparable to other big name shops.
I never said that Perrin was ripping people off. It is their name and the quality of the product. Turbo kits typically cost a lot of money, especially the ones that produce 500+WHP. They cost a lot because of the amount of time and money spent on frabricating parts. Fabricating custom parts is not cheap.

The point was, for that kit you are paying $4,500.00. For the Vargas kit you get two turbo charges and custom manifolds among other things. If you compare their kit to other turbo kits, they are all relative. Vargas is not ripping people off by any means. It was a fair price and a great deal at Intro.

If you do not agree, do not buy his kit. But stop ranting about how you can go and build the same kit for less. We will all believe it when we see it =) . But almost everyone on this entire forum knows, we probably won't ever see it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #38
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
I think you summed up pretty well what kind of person you are. You'd steal someone else's work and send it to China for cheap replicas. That's pretty trashy.
Holding that thought, Vargas Stg2 copying RB turbo's was trashy? Or RB turbo copying ASR turbo?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #39
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Quote:

if being annoyed with idiots posting about stuff they know nothing about makes me butthurt then yes, my ass is hurting bad, ESPECIALLY reading the crap you post.

edit: it seems most of you cali boys (no offense to the guys that don't) like to jump into threads dropping ignorant/uneducated posts then when you're called out you claim it's "your opinion". maybe it's a canadian thing, but when you have nothing of value to add to a conversation you say nothing. simply smile, grab your beaver and build a fucking igloo eh, 'cause otherwise you just make yourself look like a tool.

Last edited by Wescuddles; 03-23-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #40
MisterEm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slow turd

Thumbs up Enough SFvalley!

Quote:
Holding that thought, Vargas Stg2 copying RB turbo's was trashy? Or RB turbo copying ASR turbo?
Are you going to hold that thought or going to answer the gentleman's original question regarding your plans with the exhaust manifold replication tactic!

We get it. You don't think the price is warranted. Tony made you or your tuner fanboyism feelings hurt.

Nobody gives a rip about your uninformed opinion.

The point is simple.

Vargas has added much needed competition and transparency to this market and platform.

Your opinions (SFvalley and anyone else butthurt about the kit or Vargas) are not grounded in fact and are secondary to platform development.

This is just like the HPF guys sandbagging any part of Saad's or MaxPsi's recently released s54 turbo kits. When the fact is... the new entries will only improve the entire platform.

What Vargas did in 3+months was impressive for the n54. Until you have a cheaper SOLUTION that performs equally you are simply complaining. Your solutions proposed thus far are pipe dreams.

Money talks and BS walks. Vargas collected close to $40k in deposits in a week with one prototype? How long did it take for 10 ST kits to sell?

Mike

p.s. who was the initial nimrod who thought a pair of gtx28 was truly $1250? Maybe he and SFvalley can get a kit going .
      03-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #41
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEm View Post
p.s. who was the initial nimrod who thought a pair of gtx28 was truly $1250? Maybe he and SFvalley can get a kit going .
You're funny.

The ad was worded poorly.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #42
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz4244 View Post
Lol people are so cheap on this site. You got to pay to play going fast is expensive. Vargas kit isn't that badly priced.
Compared to the price of E9X M3 supercharger kits and HPF E46 M3 turbo kits Vargas pricing is a steal

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #43
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
For the time being it is the other way around due to the O2 sensors. Anyone who can weld pipes can do twins. Only after the O2 problem has been solved people will be doing singles left and right.
Not talking tuning, just fab. There is very little room for upgraded twins.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #44
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Investment and potential to sell units...

Example, looking at the FRS/BRZ market, they made turbo kits within a few months. Why? Because they have a lot of people willing to invest into it.
And that car needs it because it is slow as piss.
Appreciate 0