E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 2011 328-xi ordering experience

08-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
TimeHound
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Cool 2011 328-xi ordering experience

Hi all, I am new to this forum,
just wanted to share my recent 2011 BMW 328-xi buying experience.

After much arguing (and a little bit of research) my wife and I agreed on the following options:

328i xDrive Sedan
1) Exterior - Tasman Green Metallic
2) Interior - Black Dakota Leather/ Dark Burl Walnut wood trim
3) Value Package (iPod and USB adapter, Heated front seats, V-spoke wheels style 285-with all-season run-flat tires; dakota leather)
4) STEPTRONIC automatic transmission
5) Comfort Access keyless entry
6) Smartphone Integration + BMW Assist with Bluetooth
7) Xenon headlights + Adaptive light control

Next, we obtained quotes from 3 dealers, some out of state,
which were $250, 400, and 500 "above invoice". However, it seemed those invoices were a bit higher than i expected, perhaps the guys were not counting dealer holdbacks (or may be there were none?). actual prices were something like $38700, $38900.

Finally, we arrived at our local dealership, where there was no much negotiation - I simply offered $39000 (before taxes and fees), and that seemed to make everyone happy. Next, they asked how much I value my trade in. I named the figure,
they looked at my trade-in, and subtracted it from the price. No objections.
While, everything was smooth, somehow the whole thing took 1 hr 20 min.

At the end I felt obliged to ask about "wax an polish" fee for ~$60 added to the price, and was explained that it was standard practice, and they do it for each and every new car, no exceptions. I said - OK.
Finally, we made a deposit, and now...we wait.

Apparently, there will be a point where we can make changes to the options, before it goes into production
so any advice/opinion will be very welcome!

-TH
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

Sounds quite similar to my ordering experience, particularly when it came to having the dealer agree on what invoice was. The dealer fees made me snicker at some points as well, but its all part of the game - do as well as you can on the price of the car to make up for the added BS fees.

As far as the "point of no return" for changing things - once your car hits status 112 - 'Scheduled for daily production pack' that is the last opportunity to make changes. Once it gets beyond that it takes an act of god. You can ask your dealer what status you're in (phone or website won't give that to you).

Congrats on the purchase!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
TimeHound
Rep

Thanks for the info!

I wonder what would be the etiquette of adding couple of options,
say - if i want to add the whole convinience package, which includes park assist,
alarm, and window shades in addition to options i already chose -
this adds $950 in MSRP.
If maintain the same price/MSRP ratio - it would be adding $920 or so.

Is it possible/fair to change order in this way, before it is scheduled for production?

-TH
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

There's no one answer to that; it'll depend on your relationship with your CA and how the negotiation has been in general. Just ask yourself: is it worth busting balls over 30-50 bucks on a ~40k purchase?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
TimeHound
Rep

I asked myself,
and the answer was resounding "no"

I was simply curious, not neccesserily with my specifics - how common/difficult is it to add
new options after the deal was negotiated and put in writing.

Thanks again for the input
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
03SG///M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

I wish i could have gotten Tasman green. I went with Alpine White, as i chose the M sport package. I really like Tasman green though...
Appreciate 0