E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > After a month of ownership..

01-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
elijahcole92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 97 Supra

After a month of ownership..

So i'm almost two month's into owning my new 2007 335i with 63k miles. Coming from Evo's, Stis, Supras i love the car but i've had more problems with this car in the past two months than almost all my previous cars combined.

When i bought the car the carfax and service records looked pretty good. I bought the car from TX and had it shipped to Louisville KY where i attend school. First few weeks went great, drove the car home to NC for winter break and shortly after my problems started occuring.

Here's a list of all the things that have went wrong or i've had to replace.

My driver comfort access stopped working. Then my windshield wipers went crazy and wouldn't turn off, so had to pull fuse. Ended up needing a new relay.
Then my ECU went out. Installed some 3" downpipes and the next day i got a 30BA code. Had to have the car towed to a BMW dealer and ended up having to pay to replace all the injectors so that they would fix the ECU under warranty.

Week later, i find out i had a swimming pool of water in my passenger floor board and find out my windshield wasn't sealed at the bottom corner. So i replaced all that yesterday. Then today i go to start the car and the clutch pedal sticks to the floor and i find out the slave cylinder is bad.

Will this stop at some point? Or is this the regular experience of owning a bmw? Kinda just feel like putting my supra back to stock and driving it instead
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
That's all pretty unusual..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Avenged328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahcole92 View Post
So i'm almost two month's into owning my new 2007 335i with 63k miles. Coming from Evo's, Stis, Supras i love the car but i've had more problems with this car in the past two months than almost all my previous cars combined.

When i bought the car the carfax and service records looked pretty good. I bought the car from TX and had it shipped to Louisville KY where i attend school. First few weeks went great, drove the car home to NC for winter break and shortly after my problems started occuring.

Here's a list of all the things that have went wrong or i've had to replace.

My driver comfort access stopped working. Then my windshield wipers went crazy and wouldn't turn off, so had to pull fuse. Ended up needing a new relay.
Then my ECU went out. Installed some 3" downpipes and the next day i got a 30BA code. Had to have the car towed to a BMW dealer and ended up having to pay to replace all the injectors so that they would fix the ECU under warranty.

Week later, i find out i had a swimming pool of water in my passenger floor board and find out my windshield wasn't sealed at the bottom corner. So i replaced all that yesterday. Then today i go to start the car and the clutch pedal sticks to the floor and i find out the slave cylinder is bad.

Will this stop at some point? Or is this the regular experience of owning a bmw? Kinda just feel like putting my supra back to stock and driving it instead
That's a lot of issues man. I got 99 problems but a ECU ain't one.

I started having problems with my car 40k miles later (when I bought my 07 328i).
Water pump (this is common)
bushings
gasket leaks (this is common)
More leaks
And a few others...

I say get a BMW with warranty. After that make sure you have some money saved up because something WILL go wrong. And parts are pretty pricey.

Good luck.

Last edited by Avenged328i; 01-03-2014 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Some of the problems you have listed aren't problems with the car, but problems with shit work that someone did on the car, ie bad windshield install....

Also, it was the first year, 07, they typically have the most problems. It's a 7ish year old car....
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

I have come the conclusion that mods are at least some of the problem and it looks like you jumped right into them hard with your 3" downpipes. I have found my 2007 to be a pretty reliable car especially for the stock performance. It does need maintenance but I enjoy DIY so it isn't an issue for me. I have never been stuck on the road with this car. BTW, I'm the original owner of the car and I have 98k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i/ 09 E92 335i

The problems that you mentioned are a little unusual, never heard about the windshield not stuck properly or the wipers going crazy.

If indeed this was the typical experience of owning a BMW, then, my friend this company wouldn't be where it is today. I haven't had a single problem with my car to date (knockwood).

And yeah having a warranty on any German car whatsoever is not a bad idea at all, Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep
Drives: '06 330i TiAg

For all the sweethearts, you're gonna get a heartbreaker here and there.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

The joy of ownership. This is not your MAMA's Honda!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Windshield sounds like a bad install.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Those are un usual problems, get ready for the usual ones too lol
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
lol

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

2007 335, problems? Shocker.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #13
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

First off, as others have said, it sounds like you have some unusual problems. However, realize that if you start modding a seven year old car (which already has years of stress on it), your chances of breaking something increase.

I hit upon this in another thread, but I think it's worth pointing out again here. I don't know anything about your situation other than it sounds like you're a student. And I'm going to assume, therefore, that you're not rolling in dough and maybe you bought this car with cash saved up, a loan, parents?

Either way, people (usually young and inexperienced) have a bad habit of mistaking the sticker price of the car with "affordability." This is a SEVEN year old German sports sedan/coupe. That sentence, right there, to someone who's been around the block will say it all.

I see the appeal - it's a nice car. I owned an 07 335 from new for 6.5 years and just sold it with 89k on the odometer. The car was coming up on being outside of my Geico MBI (which essentially acts as an extended warranty), and even making a very healthy six figure salary, I would NOT want to own that car without a warranty. It's not your typical 3-series of yesteryear. The twin-turbo N54 was BMW's experiment with getting into (or back into) turbocharged engines. It was a very aggressive design, and it had plenty of issues.

When buying a car, you need to look at the total cost of ownership and the experience it'll bring - not just the sticker. The 335 is a decently expensive car, intended to be owned by someone of relative "means" to deal with its "demands." The analogy I used on another thread with this issue was of a Ferrari 355 (produced from '95 - '99). The cars retailed $130k - $160k (with inflation, that's over $200k in today's dollars easily). Now you can pick one up on the used market for $55k. But the MAINTENANCE on them is still on-par (in proportion) to what the car would have cost new... and then some. $6k for headers that are known to break. $4500 for a typical clutch replacement. $7k - $8k for a regular belt service (every three years). So forth and so on... an F355 owner can drop $15k in maintenance in a single year... some have done much more.

My point is, you're buying a car that, despite whatever its sticker is after 7 years of depreciation, requires a decent investment in maintenance. It wasn't built with the intention of making it an affordable or convenient experience for a student. Target demographic for a 335 is probably a young professional (21 - 35) with an income of $75k minimum (if you're buying a roughly $50k+ car). And yes, too many people will stretch and pay way more for a car than they need... but if you're going to do this with a BMW, you're best off doing it with one that's under warranty.

As a rule of thumb with anything mechanical, and technology in general, the more complex and cutting-edge it is, typically the more maintenance and expense it'll take as the years roll-on. BMW is constantly innovating with every car they put out, which is part of what makes them so amazing. But that innovation comes at a price. A "typical" 3 series (e.g. 318i, 325i, 328i, 330i) is much more maintainable to higher mileage historically, even outside of warranty with their rock-solid, naturally aspirated I6's - but the 335i is a different animal.

Like I said, I don't know your situation, so I can't say if this was the right car for you - but my advice for others looking at a used 335i would be to do your homework before purchasing, and seek a CPO car... and last but not least, remember that owning a car is about the total cost of ownership, not just the sticker price!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep
Drives: '06 330i TiAg

^^

Good post.

This reasoning is exactly why I went N52 versus N54 when purchasing my e90.

I 'could' afford a new or newer, under-warranty car, but I decided to play it safe with the finances.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
Avenged328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
First off, as others have said, it sounds like you have some unusual problems. However, realize that if you start modding a seven year old car (which already has years of stress on it), your chances of breaking something increase.

I hit upon this in another thread, but I think it's worth pointing out again here. I don't know anything about your situation other than it sounds like you're a student. And I'm going to assume, therefore, that you're not rolling in dough and maybe you bought this car with cash saved up, a loan, parents?

Either way, people (usually young and inexperienced) have a bad habit of mistaking the sticker price of the car with "affordability." This is a SEVEN year old German sports sedan/coupe. That sentence, right there, to someone who's been around the block will say it all.

I see the appeal - it's a nice car. I owned an 07 335 from new for 6.5 years and just sold it with 89k on the odometer. The car was coming up on being outside of my Geico MBI (which essentially acts as an extended warranty), and even making a very healthy six figure salary, I would NOT want to own that car without a warranty. It's not your typical 3-series of yesteryear. The twin-turbo N54 was BMW's experiment with getting into (or back into) turbocharged engines. It was a very aggressive design, and it had plenty of issues.

When buying a car, you need to look at the total cost of ownership and the experience it'll bring - not just the sticker. The 335 is a decently expensive car, intended to be owned by someone of relative "means" to deal with its "demands." The analogy I used on another thread with this issue was of a Ferrari 355 (produced from '95 - '99). The cars retailed $130k - $160k (with inflation, that's over $200k in today's dollars easily). Now you can pick one up on the used market for $55k. But the MAINTENANCE on them is still on-par (in proportion) to what the car would have cost new... and then some. $6k for headers that are known to break. $4500 for a typical clutch replacement. $7k - $8k for a regular belt service (every three years). So forth and so on... an F355 owner can drop $15k in maintenance in a single year... some have done much more.

My point is, you're buying a car that, despite whatever its sticker is after 7 years of depreciation, requires a decent investment in maintenance. It wasn't built with the intention of making it an affordable or convenient experience for a student. Target demographic for a 335 is probably a young professional (21 - 35) with an income of $75k minimum (if you're buying a roughly $50k+ car). And yes, too many people will stretch and pay way more for a car than they need... but if you're going to do this with a BMW, you're best off doing it with one that's under warranty.

As a rule of thumb with anything mechanical, and technology in general, the more complex and cutting-edge it is, typically the more maintenance and expense it'll take as the years roll-on. BMW is constantly innovating with every car they put out, which is part of what makes them so amazing. But that innovation comes at a price. A "typical" 3 series (e.g. 318i, 325i, 328i, 330i) is much more maintainable to higher mileage historically, even outside of warranty with their rock-solid, naturally aspirated I6's - but the 335i is a different animal.

Like I said, I don't know your situation, so I can't say if this was the right car for you - but my advice for others looking at a used 335i would be to do your homework before purchasing, and seek a CPO car... and last but not least, remember that owning a car is about the total cost of ownership, not just the sticker price!
+1 Amen.

By the way, your grammar, and punctuation is excellent!
+1

Last edited by Avenged328i; 01-03-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Those issues are not typical of this platform. I would chalk that up as bad luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
True!

Although the injectors and ECU are fairly common on the 2007.

Get ready for the oil filter gasket leaking, oil pan leaking, coil packs, low pressure fuel pump and maybe turbo's?

Oh and definitely water pump around the 70K mark. Those just simply fail of nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #17
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Quote:

Well said. A BMW is still a BMW and requires BMW maintenance/repairs, regardless of the purchase price.

2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW: Euro Air Intake, BMW Performance Exhaust, BMW Performance Strut Tower Brace, M3 upper and lower control arms, Euro Rear Fog Lights, G2 Caliper Paint
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #18
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

lol those are cute problems, get ready for the REAL problems to come...turbos...HPFP...LPFP...INJECTORS and so forth probably more then one time too lol
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
BMWcoupe335ii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 335i coupe

Quote:

You sir have hit the nail on the head with this post! The mods should make this a sticky for all young potential buyer of used 335i's.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #20
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i/ 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass

Right on!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #21
kctim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:

This is one of the best posts I've seen on this site yet! Unfortunately, the majority of people out there purchasing these cars will learn the hard and expensive way.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #22
spicytofu
Fungineer
Rep
Drives: '11 E92

Quote:

This is the reason why I DO NOT feel sorry for those who buy this car beyond their means. Sure BMW and Audi is highly desirable and can make you look "rich", bring home more girls, etc... but you better be able to deal with the baggage of crap it also brings. There is no free lunch, people. I drove a POS car all throughout high school and college and even after college. After I landed a high paying job (EE FTW), I still held on to the crappy car until I was ready to buy. When looking for a car, I had a strict criteria of either brand new or less than 25k miles CPO. Money was not and should not be an issue if you are buying a BMW or Audi. I laugh when I see 20 yr olds pony up their ENTIRE life savings and then some, just to buy a 6 year old BMW with 80k miles and think they are best friends with Joe Shmoe down the street who has his 800k home and 100k+ salary
Appreciate 0