E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car Totaled:(

11-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #45
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3RI35 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I almost typed one out, but just refused to this morning based on the arrogance and/or ignorance of the guy (at least that's what I interpreted). I almost even sent him to the frontal crash ratings link. OP wasn't speeding (or so he said), so I don't know where the issue of fast cars come into play. Mind you, the STI has Brembos going for it :-D

Also OP, Toyotas are on a mass recall... again! Don't wanna be messing around with those.
So what brembos are for braking what if a pickup going 40 mph hits you from the side? Its not ignorance my family members have sti's and evo's and I drive them all the time. There was speed involved and im only going by the cops judgement stating its both their faults...

This is a BMW forum im not going to argue with you that a BMW is safer than the Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #46
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Not sure if you are serious but Subaru's are very safe (one of the safest on the road), and I'm quite sure they are going to be a lot safer then a mid 90's M3. Safety in respect to vehicles has come a long way since 1995-99.

Depending on the year, Subaru's have 2-6 air bags, and believe it or not airbags are not the only determination of safety in a vehicle. Crumple zones, impact zones, engineering of the uni-body, and other factors play a large role in the car's safety.

My buddy was a fire fighter, and he went to a training scenario with a late model subaru, he said the jaws of life had a hard time cutting through an A-pillar, they use some very high strength steel and welding techniques.

Fore more for specific safety information on cars checkout http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx
I could've sworn that when I had my E36 M3, one of the ratings was 3 stars, which did irk me a bit, but then I think I remember reading something where the E36 was retroactively downgraded to one star in one of the categories for some reason.... The badge isn't what makes the car safe.

OP, glad you're ok, and you seem to have a pretty good attitude compared to a lot of people around here who are older than you. Also, shame on you for no pics of said cheerleader.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #47
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenġrTheBMW View Post
Again, I am not a habitual speeder and was going said speed limit.This crash had nothing to do with my age or driving ability.
It looks like you are not the one at fault. But you should humble a bit. I do not think you are a terrible driver and should not be allowed to enjoy a good car. But just think about what you could have done that would have saved it.

It is a very common crash scenario, and I cannot prevent thinking that a more experienced driver could have averted it with a combination of better reflexes and covering the brake even before the girl did the mistake, because it is just so probable that she'll do it. Next time, be ready, it might still not save it, but airbags will not always save you, so better take all chances on your side. You are the one responsible of your safety, often, that means that you have to provision for the stupidity of others.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #48
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
Kid crashes his e90 and u want him to get inside a car that is way faster than the one he HAD and way less airbags....

Get an E36 M3. Great car.

Is the teen 18....pics or ban
Nahh e46 M3 is the way to go.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #49
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Nahh e46 M3 is the way to go.
I love me some E46 M3s....

Anyways, OP, goodluck with choosing a new car. If i was you:

1 STI
2 E46 M3
3 EVO
4 S2K (although if you get hit again, you WILL DIE )
5 Used Mustang?
      11-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #50
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Glad you are okay. Its amazing how cars have become safe now. From the picture, there was some speed, 15 years ago you'd be in a hospital or worse. Have yourself checked up tomorrow, sometime it takes a day or two for pain to develop and you may retain debilitating conditions (don't ask how I know...)

Now, you have learned a valuable lesson. Being right, having the right of way doesn't matter. No matter what, nobody's perfect, even good drivers do mistakes occasionally, thus someday somebody will do something stupid in front of you. It is just part of your mission as a driver to be able to avoid them (conversely someday you'll be glad that somebody was aware enough to avoid you and save the day). The fault is theirs, but with more awareness (by adapting speed to surrounding conditions and a capacity to "read" distracted drivers and suspecting anything that has a brain as a potential danger trying to suicide on you), an accident often turns into pointless rant against stupid drivers, or in the case, some sort of misogynistic comment on blond cheerleaders capacity at the wheel .

The case for the car being safe is made. You walked out of it and the picture is not pretty. With that money you can get the same car, more or less.

Should you get a Corrolla ? Actually a Corrolla is plenty fast. Well enough to get you in danger if you don't take responsibility for your safety and act defensive (no, defensive driving is not driving like gran'ma, its looking around at what's going on and being ready). Now, insurance premiums are gonna be tough on you if you get part torts. You could maybe consider some driver improvement program to get them to normal, good way to improve skills, often its fun, and you may save on the long run (and make your mom happy).
Words of wisdom.
      11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #51
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
It looks like you are not the one at fault. But you should humble a bit. I do not think you are a terrible driver and should not be allowed to enjoy a good car. But just think about what you could have done that would have saved it.

It is a very common crash scenario, and I cannot prevent thinking that a more experienced driver could have averted it with a combination of better reflexes and covering the brake even before the girl did the mistake, because it is just so probable that she'll do it. Next time, be ready, it might still not save it, but airbags will not always save you, so better take all chances on your side. You are the one responsible of your safety, often, that means that you have to provision for the stupidity of others.
Clearly there is no replacement for experience, and at 18 - chances are very high that you would not have been able to avert the situation either.

Over the years, and particularly as an avid motorcyclist, I drive very defensively, always searching for potential hazards / morons. At intersections where I have the green light, I shadow the brake and and clear the intersection as I approach it - too many close calls not to do that.

Back to the OP: The Police Officer can't lay blame your way unless he has proof that you were exceeding the posted limit. The fact of the matter is that the driver of the other vehicle was at fault and that needs to be addressed.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #52
BenġrTheBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Hey guys one more question:

Will the insurance company most likely look at my EDR (event data recorder aka black box)? For speed and such? Because most likely I was going above the speed limit but I don't know by how much.
      11-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #53
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:

Will the insurance company most likely look at my EDR (event data recorder aka black box)? For speed and such? Because most likely I was going above the speed limit but I don't know by how much.
Maybe, but reconstructing the accident they will know your speed. If you were reasonably within the limit and the chick failed to yield you have nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #54
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
Maybe, but reconstructing the accident they will know your speed. If you were reasonably within the limit and the chick failed to yield you have nothing to worry about.
Incorrect and badly so. If the chick is hot she may get away with it. She already has the police officer saying it was both of their faults.
      11-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #55
BenġrTheBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog
Quote:
Incorrect and badly so. If the chick is hot she may get away with it. She already has the police officer saying it was both of their faults.
It's like saying "Oh she ran a red light and hit him, but he was going 15 over"
      11-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #56
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
That officer is wrong, and lonely. And OP's insurance company will not let the chick get away with it no matter how hot she is because it is there money at the end of the day and they do not want to pay out. If the chick clearly failed to yield to another driver that was following the law why should he be at fault? That's like saying someone making a withdrawal when a bank is robbed should also be arrested.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #57
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That officer is wrong, and lonely. And OP's insurance company will not let the chick get away with it no matter how hot she is because it is there money at the end of the day and they do not want to pay out. If the chick clearly failed to yield to another driver that was following the law why should he be at fault? That's like saying someone making a withdrawal when a bank is robbed should also be arrested.
I don't know man.... She sounds really hot.
      11-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #58
n54gte
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prius

She's probably fugly and pretty in your standards
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #59
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan313 View Post
She's probably fugly and pretty in your standards
Possibly. De gustibus non est disputandum as the Romans might have said, however, I'm not working from my standards, I'm working from the standards of the OP.
      11-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #60
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
and at 18 - chances are very high that you would not have been able to avert the situation either.
I'm not claiming otherwise. It took me a number of close calls to realize how foolish it is to expect that others will make no mistakes and loose that feel of entitlement. At the end, whomever was right or wrong doesn't matter when there are injuries, the pain is the same.

Quote:

Will the insurance company most likely look at my EDR (event data recorder aka black box)?
I do not quote you so you can remove the rest here Have you agreed to have such a device as part of your insurance plan ? I know I wouldn't, good way to pay insurance premium and never receive the money when you need it
If you didn't it seems sketchy that they use a device to track your every move and you have no recourse against it. Now, I'm not a layer, so...

On another note, you may also consider a Miata, its a fun car that handles well and I'm pretty sure chicks dig it If you are in sun country, even better!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #61
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also, I'm engaging in a bit of badinage, and don't actually mean anything I am saying.
      11-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #62
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
Both your faults?!
she was not even wearing a seatbelt; shows how competent of a driver she is
Umm I am pretty sure when it comes to a situation where the driver was going straight and the other one was turning, it's automatically 100% the fault of the person turning as they failed to yield the right of way.

Only reason I know this is because back when first turned 18, i was making a left hand turn and a women flew out of parking lot, and into the intersection and proceeded to t-bone me.

I fought till was blue in the face regarding the situation and it was shot down.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #63
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Took me a while to find this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xy6VoHLao0
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #64
xe90x
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Damn.... Hope everything works out man.

Should invest in a dash cam for your next car! Have mines running every time I get in my car. Could prevent insurance frauds
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #65
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
I am not a habitual speeder and was going said speed limit
Quote:
Because most likely I was going above the speed limit
While I believe that the OP is in the right because the person going straight should have the right-of-way, stuff like the above annoys me.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #66
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocool4yooh View Post
Damn.... Hope everything works out man.

Should invest in a dash cam for your next car! Have mines running every time I get in my car. Could prevent insurance frauds
Or incriminate, Mr. "Drives: illegally"
Appreciate 0