E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 335i

11-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

My 335i

Having wrestled with an annoying gearbox/throttle issue(which is now so much better after gearbox software update and throttle reset I though I'd post these pics and a few words re my 335i SE.

The car apart from the above annoyance is 100% fault free with a full service history that's all within spec.Its actually a clean car though it does require some minor bodywork at some point to the off side lower rear quarter due to a light scrape and a couple of small dents than I can only go so far with re the DA and my basic skills, plus as it was owned by a woman from new it needs all 4 wheels refurbishing due to a love of all things kerb related []

Cleaning wise its been cleaned a few times nothing OTT due to weather and time but the one thing I have had dine is sort out the scuffs on both front seats which again once done really does make a difference and while on the subject of leather if you've never heard of Dr.Leather put it on your shopping list. Having read a bit about it on DetailingWorld I thought I'd give it a whirl as my seats were rather shiny meaning that they were dirty and have before sale been given the once over with some sort of stuff that I dare say has made the situation no better. In a word the stuffs ace. I have now re-found BMW matt leather look. I got the stuff from Tim at Envy Valeting who also offers great service too.

But on to what I've done so far:

1st Mod... courtesy of Nick NJ1161

And he's right you know makes so much difference. The paddles as you can see are extended Aluminum items and by having this later wheel set up I've managed to do away with the what appears to be a really annoying push/pull set up on the standard wheel which I just didn't enjoy/get on with, which I'm sure others who have the same wheel again may well agree with. Whats wrong with one paddle for downshifting and one for upshifting.... Anyone who's looking to do this mod DO IT. its so much better and is essentially a pure plug & play affair something that I needed a bit of convincing of due to the fact that my cars a 2006 model and things do change as the model evolves. Pleased to say that within 15 minutes my fears were banished and I was flicking up'n'down the gears like old Lewis

2nd Mod

Well it had to be done bought these before I got the car and they do make a difference.

3rd Mod

Removed the Bridgestone Run Flats as I said I would from day one and have replaced them with Conti Sport Contact 5's all round which are an excellent tyre. I had wanted to look at other brands but wanted a matching set all round and didn't realise just how difficult it can be to get the same brand/tread pattern for the fronts and rears. In the end once again I run a car with Conti's which so far as usual have been impeccable in their behavior with all the reported issues re run flats banished and now I have a car that is quieter on the run better over pot holes/speed humps(which I approach at a crawl) and over different surfaces its general road manors are much improved. The only thing I need to sort out with puncture prevention. Choice here is that at the moment I've got an old Mini kit in the boot with inflater just in case but I'm seriously looking at getting this done http://www.puncturesafe.com/home1.htm which I've seen demonstrated at work and it does the very job that its menat to and this was done before my very eyes.

Mods for the future.......

A summer set of wheels may be on the cards may stick to another set of 19's for appearance/ride comfort but I have seen the odd E92 on 20's but for me I think looks v comfort these may be too much of a compromise. GOtta say I do like Nicks BBS's.

May look to change the standard Angel Eye bulbs with the brighter white items.

A re map will be on the cards...... I can so I understand get this done at work via AutoLogic, but Simon from EMaps will probably getting a call from me for the obvious reasons(good product top notch service etc)

I want to at some point replace the Ali interior trim with some Piano Black or Black Metal Trim. The Silver does brighten the interior up but I do like the darker options so I'll keep my eyes skinned for some trim or I'll end up buying new I guess

Body Styling. I've got a Genuine Sport Bumper at work if I want it... just needs painting a set of fogs and grills and fitting plus I may look to do the same re the rear bumper too along with either Sport or different side skirts... I have seen "stick" on CSL rear spoilers for the E92 and like my old 330d I may look to once again take this on and mold it on to the standard boot lid like last time so that it looks factory rather than buy a carbon or plastic boot lid due to fit and finish as I want to once again make sure it looks like BMW made the item from scratch.

A small Audio ?Upgrade. I'm looking to get the IPod Adapter on my car so that I have the facility to control the thing via IDrive rather than using the AUX socket that I have, which at least enables me to listen to my music. The other upgrade I'd like to do is perhaps a better set of speakers and amplification improvements....

But its all in the future... Thanks for reading.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Ross335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Nice looking car Steve! I've recently bought an E92 335i M Sport having come from an E46 M3, and I'm really pleased with it!
What was the gearbox issue you had which was mentioned at the start of your post? Is this something I should look out for on mine too??
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross335i View Post
Nice looking car Steve! I've recently bought an E92 335i M Sport having come from an E46 M3, and I'm really pleased with it!
What was the gearbox issue you had which was mentioned at the start of your post? Is this something I should look out for on mine too??
i found that at low speed the gear changes were jerky/snatchy with an annoying delay on/off throttle to boot.

I had a gearbox software update carried out not long after I bought the car but it made just a small difference. Having posted the issue up on here and BMWLand a couple of posts came back re resetting the adaptations and his really has made a real difference.

Compared with an E46 these E9X models are a lot more modern, driving an E46 now I do feel like its still a good car but to me it feels like its in he past I had a re mapped 330d but have driven a good few M3's and although quick you really have to wring heir necks to get the bet out of them while the 335i is so much more usable in modern day situations.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Space Grey, one of my colours of choice - looks great with the black grille.

LCI rear lights would be another excellent mod for your e92 Steve!
      11-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Very nice mate!! Love 230's. Makes for such a classy looking car
      11-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Lovely looking mate! You get a hell of a deal on that M Sport wheel!
      11-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Space Grey, one of my colours of choice - looks great with the black grille.

LCI rear lights would be another excellent mod for your e92 Steve!
hadn't even thought about rear lights TBH Cyprio the one thing I would like to do early on is change the Aluminium interior trim as stated for either Piano Black trim or another darker trim like I've seen on a few M3's as I'm not a massive fan of the Aluminium trim and mines got various tiny dents and marks in it which is a shame.

The other alternative as its Aluminium is to either wrap it or paint it ensuring a decent amount of prep is done to help ensure a quality end result.

As for he colour Space Grey was my close 2nd choice 1st was Sparkling Graphite
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Lovely looking mate! You get a hell of a deal on that M Sport wheel!
The wheel makes sooooooo much difference as Nick rightly pointed out, the thicker rim ws the main draw as the standard SE rim is a little thinner than I'd of liked but when I saw this advertised I'd of kicked myself several times if I'd of missed it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
Metalmickey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 Lci 330d M-sport

Great looking motor Steve.

Glad you got gearbox issue sorted!

My e90's Sparkling Graphite and in the sun it's a lovely colour, Space Grey would have been my 2nd choice also though!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

lovely car mate! nice touch with the wheel and cant wait to see the mods list come together
      11-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #11
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
Very nice car, good little write up.
I am also considering changing my silver trim to piano black. Some days I like the silver then others I just fancy a change.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
lovely car mate! nice touch with the wheel and cant wait to see the mods list come together
the mods though subtle will over time take place, I'll take my time and hopefully get it right.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
Jdouglas10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Sparkling Graphite

Nice!! should get your window trim black like the m sports though, would match your grill too and look SWEET!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #14
Crimefighter
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE

Thankyou for that writeup Steve.

Very nice car, I have a black E92 SE that is very similar to yours.

Question for you - what was the story with the steering wheel and what did you pay? Mine is getting worn, and there is some plastic starting to peel on the trim. I am looking at retrim or replacement options.

I will look up Dr Leather - My front seats are showing wear as well.

Thanks again

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 06:07 AM   #15
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdouglas10 View Post
Nice!! should get your window trim black like the m sports though, would match your grill too and look SWEET!
I should update this thread more regularly but I've already taken care of this along with some nice tints