E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Anyone been using ONR long term?

11-01-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Anyone been using ONR long term?

Anyone been using ONR long term? Have you seen an increase in fine scratches? Am a bit unsure how safe ONR is on the paint when used long term. Thinking of switching from a traditional two bucket method outdoor wash to an indoor only ONR method. Also, to those that do use ONR, how do you address the wheels without making a mess in the garage? Finally, does ONR work well prior to sealant/waxing? Wondering if it leaves behind a residue.

-Thanks
      11-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
I have an 08 M5 in black sapphire...no problems...

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
drummer12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

Just sealed and waxed this weekend with ONR prior...no issues with ONR. Wheels are fine, just take more work to clean vs. just spraying a hose at them
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
Just sealed and waxed this weekend with ONR prior...no issues with ONR. Wheels are fine, just take more work to clean vs. just spraying a hose at them
Does it leave behind a residue? Would all my P21s wheel gel be no use anymore? Do you just hand wipe the wheels down with microfiber or do you use a wheel brush with ONR?
      11-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I still use P21s on the wheels if the hose is nearby. ONR is safe, use some quality wash media (the Proline grout sponges from Lowes are excellent) and replace them often. They're ~1 each, so I just demote mine to wheel duty after 4-5 washes. Don't forget two buckets with grid guards.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
drummer12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk335i View Post
Does it leave behind a residue? Would all my P21s wheel gel be no use anymore? Do you just hand wipe the wheels down with microfiber or do you use a wheel brush with ONR?
No residue that I can see. Then again, the wheels are painted silver.

I just use a microfiber rag, usually just a second rag floating in the bucket just for the wheels when I'm done with the paint. Yeah yeah, I should use two buckets but I'm lazy Oh, and it works on glass pretty well too.

The brake dust comes off pretty easily, but you have to get your finger in there and rub around pretty well in all the nooks and crannies. But, you can't really get the inside of the rim, nor can you get the brake dust on brake components (calipers, rotors, etc.). So, for those times I wish I could just power wash them, but I don't easily have access to a water source.

I don't have any experience with wheel gels but I doubt it would affect them in anyway. The ONR is pretty mild yet somehow works like magic.

You could do what I did: buy an 8 oz. bottle (from Amazon, or wherever) and try it out. It's about 8 washes right there, or less if you use it for other things. If you like it, get the larger size.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #7
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I still use P21s on the wheels if the hose is nearby. ONR is safe, use some quality wash media (the Proline grout sponges from Lowes are excellent) and replace them often. They're ~1 each, so I just demote mine to wheel duty after 4-5 washes. Don't forget two buckets with grid guards.
Hmm, guess I could just do the wheels like I normally do, pull the car in, dry the wheels and then do ONR for the rest. Just takes forever to do the traditional car wash. Washing then drying takes me about 4 to 5 hours (I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
No residue that I can see. Then again, the wheels are painted silver.

I just use a microfiber rag, usually just a second rag floating in the bucket just for the wheels when I'm done with the paint. Yeah yeah, I should use two buckets but I'm lazy Oh, and it works on glass pretty well too.

The brake dust comes off pretty easily, but you have to get your finger in there and rub around pretty well in all the nooks and crannies. But, you can't really get the inside of the rim, nor can you get the brake dust on brake components (calipers, rotors, etc.). So, for those times I wish I could just power wash them, but I don't easily have access to a water source.

I don't have any experience with wheel gels but I doubt it would affect them in anyway. The ONR is pretty mild yet somehow works like magic.

You could do what I did: buy an 8 oz. bottle (from Amazon, or wherever) and try it out. It's about 8 washes right there, or less if you use it for other things. If you like it, get the larger size.
Might just do that.

Last question, do you use two buckets when using ONR? and do you use sponges or microfiber?
      11-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #8
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Anytime you 'touch' a vehicle paint surface there is the potential to cause surface marring. I have not found ONR to be better or worse than any other cleaning method in the last few years of use
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
drummer12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Like I said, I just use one bucket with two microfiber rags, one for paint, one for the wheels. Ideally, I should use two, but I'm lazy.

My car is my daily driver (through two large construction zones at that) so I get my paint and such as nice as I can, but there's no point in obsessing over microfiber polymide content or a bunch of buckets for washing - a one way trip to work covers my car in a layer of crud
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks for the input guys, will pick some ONR up tomorrow. Looking forward to a wash that doesn't last 5 hours.
      11-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

I gotta ask......... what are you doing to this car for 5 hours?? I walk a round of golf in 4. I can't imagine a car wash taking 5 hours. Should be 30 min, 45 tops.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

If you have the means wash the car normally using 2 bucket method.

ONR really doesnt scratch, however, at the end of the day, nothing beats a traditional wash.

If you dont have access to a hose and park on the street or something, thats really where ONR shines.

My washes are quicker with ONR, but I wouldnt consider it thorough.

It doesnt really do a good enough job for wheels IMO.

Mildly soiled Car: ONR, Wash wheels traditional method
Heavily soiled car: Traditional wash all around.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post

ONR really doesnt scratch, however, at the end of the day, nothing beats a traditional wash.

If you dont have access to a hose and park on the street or something, thats really where ONR shines.

if it's washed once a week, the car shouldn't be heavily soiled.

i ordered some ONR because everyone says it gives the car a "just waxed" appearance
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
I gotta ask......... what are you doing to this car for 5 hours?? I walk a round of golf in 4. I can't imagine a car wash taking 5 hours. Should be 30 min, 45 tops.
I am a perfectionist when it comes to keeping my car looking new. I take about two and a half hours to clean the whole car then use the sheeting method for about 30 mins or so making sure to leave as little spots as possible then pull the car and dry the car by hand, making sure to get the door sills, trunk area (opening trunk and getting in there) and the wheels themselves. Once the drying is complete I usually vacuum and clean the leather. Once that is done I seal the wheels with spray on sealant (armor all) All of which takes bout 5 hours. I do this every 2 weeks (sometimes 3 weeks if I'm busy) and I add in conditioning the leather every other wash.

Also, not sure if you do this or not but I spray wheel cleaning gel on my wheels while I'm getting things ready and then go over each wheel with a wheel brush making sure to get the WHOLE wheel. I also dry the whole wheel by hand as well.

I am pretty sure your version of a car wash and my version are totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post

My car is very rarely heavily soiled, so ONR sounds perfect. Will have to use wheel cleaning gel on the wheels first cause they usually get soiled with brake dust.
      11-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

I understand about being a perfectionist with the washes. Full washes take me 3 hours start to finish, but I do it leisurely because it's something I enjoy. But we all sometimes get too busy to deal with that and still want the car to look good. So the ONR is perfect. As long as you didn't just get back from an offroad excursion, it's a great solution.

Also try some wheel wax for the wheels. It will make cleaning them much easier. If you keep up with the wheel wax and wash the car weekly, you shouldn't even need to use the wheel cleaner - ONR and a grout sponge will take care of them.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I understand about being a perfectionist with the washes. Full washes take me 3 hours start to finish, but I do it leisurely because it's something I enjoy. But we all sometimes get too busy to deal with that and still want the car to look good. So the ONR is perfect. As long as you didn't just get back from an offroad excursion, it's a great solution.

Also try some wheel wax for the wheels. It will make cleaning them much easier. If you keep up with the wheel wax and wash the car weekly, you shouldn't even need to use the wheel cleaner - ONR and a grout sponge will take care of them.
I use this on my wheels: http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...?product_id=33

A bit finicky and you can't really touch the wheels with a rag but it works fairly well. What type wheel wax are you using? once the protectant is on you can't wipe ANYTHING off or it will take the product off, guess that's the finicky part.
      11-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk335i View Post
That stuff works too. It's silicone, but gets the job done (until it rains, anyway).

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

OK. I hear you - and totally respect the attention to detail you give the car. The only thing you listed that I don't do is tend to the leather as often as you.

Wheels, door jambs, glass, etc., etc., I do as well, but nowhere near 5 hours. But I move pretty fast I guess.

Have fun and let me know if you ever are selling a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #19
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

PoorBoys Wheel wax. End of story.

Thanksgiving is coming up, time to get my wheel washing station ready. I pull all four, clean, clay, and then PB them with 2-3 coats over turkey day.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #20
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

are you supposed to give the car an initial spraydown before ONR?

or do you just rock n roll with this stuff on a dirty dry car
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #21
Mk23
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
OK. I hear you - and totally respect the attention to detail you give the car. The only thing you listed that I don't do is tend to the leather as often as you.

Wheels, door jambs, glass, etc., etc., I do as well, but nowhere near 5 hours. But I move pretty fast I guess.

Have fun and let me know if you ever are selling a car.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
PoorBoys Wheel wax. End of story.

Thanksgiving is coming up, time to get my wheel washing station ready. I pull all four, clean, clay, and then PB them with 2-3 coats over turkey day.
For the hand application of wheel wax I would need a lift or a set of jacks, which I don't have. I feel I always need to clean the whole wheel too, and wax the whole wheel... Guess that's my OCD coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
are you supposed to give the car an initial spraydown before ONR?

or do you just rock n roll with this stuff on a dirty dry car
The whole idea of ONR is to not use a hose (i.e. a spray down), so no, you just start on a dry car. Plan on picking some up today and trying it Friday.

Wish me luck.
      11-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #22
drummer12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nope - the whole point of ONR is that you don't have a water source handy...just pour a bucket and go
Appreciate 0