E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > dismantling E46

01-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

dismantling E46

Hello everyone, I haven't been on the site for a while. Got a few daily time consuming issues going on.
I plan to back date over the last 5 months of this site and see what I've missed. Looking forward to any new details on the upcoming M4. Very likely to be my next car.

I have an E46 330ci sitting at home in the drive way. I couldn't quite decide what I was going to do with it. Fix the slight issues with it or just sell it as it was. I wouldn't expect to get more than £2000 for it, but it came to mind that if I was to dismantle it myself, I could possibly double or triple the outcome value of selling the parts separately.
Im a little handy with some tools and could manage a lot of basic trims and stuff. The engine bay and overall frame work of the car I wouldn't touch though. I could get the left overs towed and scrapped.
I was going to list what I can probably handle here, but then I realised that the list would be pretty long. I'm thinking it will be a good financial idea.

Any opinions or experiences on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

If the car is beyond co nominal resale and you fancy having a go, do it! You'll make more key in parts than scrapping it, but don't forget to factor in your time in terms of sale value of parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It isnt past it and is probably in a better condition than most equivalent models currently being sold. The problem is that to get it into a decent shape in my opinion would cost a bit more than I would like and I dont think the return value would be worth it.

What do you mean by "time in terms of sale value"? Do you mean add more to the price or do you mean expect low selling prices and wasted time?

Its a 2000 330ci, 100,000miles
Sun roof fault
rattling steering links somewhere
needs one replacement shock and one replacement spring.
full service and what ever else that brings up
3 alloy refurb
interior valet

Otherwise it is perfectly sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

I mean don't forget that your time is valuable, so work your hourly rate in to figuring out if its worth dismantling it versus scrapping it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

oOHyeahhhhh! im sure it will be worth it.
I'm going to put a plan together and maybe come back here to add to this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

From what you say, and if you are OK with spannering, then £500 should easily sort the car into MOT shape. Forget the sunroof fault - it's only a "nice to have" unless it's fully open and won't close!! Alloys are cosmetic too.

Don't forget you may need the space, and once a wheel or two is gone, or a suspension part, then it's immobile and can't be towed, or even dragged on to a low loader. The higher value bits are the larger ones that need more getting out, and what do you do with a static lump with no engine/box or suspension and a return on your time and parts of £1500??? Pay £50-£100 for it to be taken away?

If you want value from it, sort the suspension, strip it out and use it as a track day car!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
From what you say, and if you are OK with spannering, then £500 should easily sort the car into MOT shape. Forget the sunroof fault - it's only a "nice to have" unless it's fully open and won't close!! Alloys are cosmetic too.

Don't forget you may need the space, and once a wheel or two is gone, or a suspension part, then it's immobile and can't be towed, or even dragged on to a low loader. The higher value bits are the larger ones that need more getting out, and what do you do with a static lump with no engine/box or suspension and a return on your time and parts of £1500??? Pay £50-£100 for it to be taken away?

If you want value from it, sort the suspension, strip it out and use it as a track day car!!

Mike
The cheapest quote I could get for the repairs is £484 not including fixing the sunroof and service, MOT and Tax. I get your point though, if someone wants it with slight problems they'll take it.

The Sunroof works fine until it is closing and will come to the last centimetre before reopening. Possibly something jammed in the mech. It has to be closed manually with an Allen Key.

I'm just thinking about the simpler things. You are referring to more major components which I don't see myself getting involved with.

The issue about the car being immobile is the reason why I have to make a plan of action. I can't sell the steering wheel and try and get it manoeuvred onto a tow truck afterwards.

Thanks for your suggestions though.
Appreciate 0