E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Need help with my new samsung.

02-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Need help with my new samsung.

Just bought:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9784657

and im having trouble getting it to 120hz.

I have my pc hooked up to it via VGA and I only have the option to stay at 60hz. Same goes with my ps3, I cannot find an option in the settings either...

Also does anyone have a guide on how to get the best picture out of this monitor, such as editing the contrast, brightness, LED backlight .. etc etc..

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

I have a samsung LED 3D and you cant adjust the Hz setting. It is going off of what it is seeing from the output source like the PS3 or XBOX. Mine does the same thing. Mine has 240hz capability but from what Samsung said most devices do not have the ability to output at more than 60-120. So the TV will down regulate to what it sees.

As far as adjusting the color I just set mine at one of the preinstalled settings in the menu. I think I left mine on dynamic which is bright and makes everything look pretty clear. Also remember to go to the plug and play section and set it to game mode when in the PS3 or xbox or you will get a lot of blurr and judder as well as lag.

That is the extent of my knowledge on the TV.

You may want to pay a pro to come out and adjust it after the TV has be running for around a month or two. they want you to wait that long until adjustments are made. Dont use Best buy to do it either. They suck at all things technical. Call samsung and ask them for a list of reputable tuners, or google them and see who has some good rating and reviews. I know a pro tune can cost seval hundred bucks. I am not that picky and the display got better and better over time as it broke in.
      02-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
I have a samsung LED 3D and you cant adjust the Hz setting. It is going off of what it is seeing from the output source like the PS3 or XBOX. Mine does the same thing. Mine has 240hz capability but from what Samsung said most devices do not have the ability to output at more than 60-120. So the TV will down regulate to what it sees.

As far as adjusting the color I just set mine at one of the preinstalled settings in the menu. I think I left mine on dynamic which is bright and makes everything look pretty clear. Also remember to go to the plug and play section and set it to game mode when in the PS3 or xbox or you will get a lot of blurr and judder as well as lag.

That is the extent of my knowledge on the TV.

You may want to pay a pro to come out and adjust it after the TV has be running for around a month or two. they want you to wait that long until adjustments are made. Dont use Best buy to do it either. They suck at all things technical. Call samsung and ask them for a list of reputable tuners, or google them and see who has some good rating and reviews. I know a pro tune can cost seval hundred bucks. I am not that picky and the display got better and better over time as it broke in.
Thanks.

I do know for a fact my computer has the capability to go over 60hz though which is why it is bothering me. I know in the past lcd monitors have been caped at 60hz and that was just the norm for using an lcd over a crt which could go higher than 60hz. I bought this TV thinking I would be able to move it up to 120hz(over the 60hz version), I hope im just doing something wrong in my settings.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

VGA?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
VGA?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think you would have to move to a pure HDMI output from the computer in order to get to 120. Although the best thing to do is call samsung. I want to be able to up mine to 240 but it has never been more than 60hz even with BD wise Blu Ray. There is more to it than I remember. It has to a lot to do with what the TV is seeing from Samsungs instructions. I also listen to Leo Laporte the tech guy on sat and sundays and he has TV expert on all the time. Last weekend they were talking about this exact issue. He said the best TV out right now is Plasma Vieras that are 600hz rated, but that 600hz is a bit of a lie. It is capable up to 600hz but he said you will bnever see that because of filtering and output sources. The most you will see out of 600hz is around 120+. Cable companies also do not brodcast signals at more than 60hz right now.

The hz numbers are mostly marketing bullshit from what the guy said. His name is Scott Wilkinson
      02-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
I think you would have to move to a pure HDMI output from the computer in order to get to 120. Although the best thing to do is call samsung. I want to be able to up mine to 240 but it has never been more than 60hz even with BD wise Blu Ray. There is more to it than I remember. It has to a lot to do with what the TV is seeing from Samsungs instructions. I also listen to Leo Laporte the tech guy on sat and sundays and he has TV expert on all the time. Last weekend they were talking about this exact issue. He said the best TV out right now is Plasma Vieras that are 600hz rated, but that 600hz is a bit of a lie. It is capable up to 600hz but he said you will bnever see that because of filtering and output sources. The most you will see out of 600hz is around 120+. Cable companies also do not brodcast signals at more than 60hz right now.

The hz numbers are mostly marketing bullshit from what the guy said. His name is Scott Wilkinson
I guess its just not the same as it was with CRTs anymore. I figured it would just be as simple as the monitor having 120hz capable and turning it to 120hz on my computer. As far as I can remember VGA is better than HDMI when connecting to the TV. If I have a long enough HDMI cord at home I will test to see if I can get 120hz though.

Ive been to busy with work really to do much research and im mainly going off old facts, so I could just be behind in times.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well you should be able to adjust the refresh rate on your computer, but I dont know. I cant with my desktop. I think it is totally dependant on the video card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
I guess its just not the same as it was with CRTs anymore. I figured it would just be as simple as the monitor having 120hz capable and turning it to 120hz on my computer. As far as I can remember VGA is better than HDMI when connecting to the TV. If I have a long enough HDMI cord at home I will test to see if I can get 120hz though.

Ive been to busy with work really to do much research and im mainly going off old facts, so I could just be behind in times.
      02-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep

Still nothing wth, might have to call samsung support but was trying to avoid that.
Appreciate 0