E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Starting engine without oil

10-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
CarguyBimmer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 323i

Starting engine without oil

Because our cars have an oil level sensor, i wonder if it is possible to start a N52 engine without oil? Is there a kind of low level switch limit to protect the engine?

I suspect my car was started without oil at the dealership during my last oil change. I let the car in and took a walk to the Ford dealer to buy some parts for my other car and when i came back, the oil change was done and the young tech seemed nervous when i went in the garage to talk to him about the work and the inspection he performed at the same time. (Usually i stay next to the tech when my cars are serviced but not this time..)
When i left with my car, i noticed the RPM was shaking a bit, but then was ok and i went to a drive thru for lunch, and i could hear a kind of grinding noise reverberating to the wall with the window down. The noise was not there before. I got back to the dealer and they said everything is ok and could not really hear the noise. The noise is subtile but is there and was not there before the service. Oil level is ok. The noise is present from 1200 to 1800 rpm and passed this speed, it seems to fade away with the other noises. To me it seems like a valve train noise, and is present during acceleration and deceleration of the engine with load or not..

I'm thinking of taking vibration measures of my engine and go back to the dealer to measure one of their cars to compare..

What do you guys think?
      10-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I think you'll never be able to prove anything, and they will just stand by the story of the junior staff that has already lied and will continue to cover his butt.

Also remember that it takes time for proper pressure to build up again in the cam tensioner. Maybe that noise will vanish on itself after a few more miles, once you have reached full operating temperature (which you may not have done yet if you just lug around for short time).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Rmk392
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

You won't be able to prove it plus your still under warranty. I would stop there
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thats one crazy theory you have there. Is it possible your just being a little over cautious about it??

Because unfortunately you'll never be able to prove it.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

I think you're being a little overly paranoid about it. The techs are factory trained and an oil change is probably the easiest thing they have to do. Give them a little credit here.

The tech probably seemed nervous because he never had someone interrogate him about his work before.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Every time I talk to a tech they seem nervous. They don't really seem to have people skills as all they do is work behind the scenes.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

my technician is cool as hell! i text him all the time when i have problems, and he even installs parts on my car for me (installing my dp's this week for 150) under the table hes gonna do it at home with all the tools from the dealer. But you never know member the Camaro SS thread what they did. LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

I'm with everyone else here. But...if you must find out, do a short oil change and send some off for analysis.
      10-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyBimmer View Post
Because our cars have an oil level sensor, i wonder if it is possible to start a N52 engine without oil? Is there a kind of low level switch limit to protect the engine?

I suspect my car was started without oil at the dealership during my last oil change. I let the car in and took a walk to the Ford dealer to buy some parts for my other car and when i came back, the oil change was done and the young tech seemed nervous when i went in the garage to talk to him about the work and the inspection he performed at the same time. (Usually i stay next to the tech when my cars are serviced but not this time..)
When i left with my car, i noticed the RPM was shaking a bit, but then was ok and i went to a drive thru for lunch, and i could hear a kind of grinding noise reverberating to the wall with the window down. The noise was not there before. I got back to the dealer and they said everything is ok and could not really hear the noise. The noise is subtile but is there and was not there before the service. Oil level is ok. The noise is present from 1200 to 1800 rpm and passed this speed, it seems to fade away with the other noises. To me it seems like a valve train noise, and is present during acceleration and deceleration of the engine with load or not..

I'm thinking of taking vibration measures of my engine and go back to the dealer to measure one of their cars to compare..

What do you guys think?
I think you're paranoid. Why would he start your car without oil? Just drive your car.
Appreciate 0