E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > just wasted my money

11-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

just wasted my money

Sirius is CRAP!

Just had a used sirius module retrofitted & if you look online there's supposed to be a free trial going on now. Well not only am I not getting a free trial but apparently they have locked down the preview channel so the only way I can find out if my module even works correctly is to subscribe! WTF? I know they probably have an activation fee and a cancellation fee as well... so no way am I going to sign up unless I KNOW that my module is working. Do they want to piss me off and make sure that I never subscribe to them? It was bad enough cancelling XM when I turned in my company car... having just come from the BMW dealership I guess I'm spoiled, I was expecting actual customer service.

Way to run a business into the ground and piss off potential customers, Sirius.

Only reason I bought the module (used) in the first place was because I know that BMW has jacked the price of new ones through the roof and I figured if I ever wanted one I should get it now before they go NLA and used prices go through the roof too. Now I'm thinking I should have just saved my money. But at least I got my alarm coded at the same time so I'm not out that.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
egregor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
Sirius is CRAP!
Truth. Fidelity is terrible, variety is absent, DJs/ads are obnoxious, and they have the absolute worst marketing and customer service teams second only to Comcast. Monthly calls to my CELL demanding I buy additional radios, and forget trying to cancel once they have your info. You'll be transferred so many times in a 60 minute period it'll make your head spin.

Not even once.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

N8N: Have you tried http://www.siriusxm.com/mytrial yet? Have you spoken with a Sirius rep or used their online chat?
I'm not aware of a cancellation fee, but I do think there's a $15 activation fee. One can subscribe month-to-month as well. If worried about being able to cancel, use a prepaid visa or a credit card that allows you to create capped/limited use card numbers for online transactions.

Customer service must vary. I've had SiriusXM for four years now across two different vehicles and called customer service a handful of times over that period, usually to negotiate a renewal deal but also once to change my "plan" to avoid paying for stuff I never listened to and more recently to cancel my old car's subscription and apply the credit against the new-to-me car's service. I've had a couple of numbskulls on the other end but just hung up and tried again; usually whomever I talk to is able to do what I need or get me to who I need to speak to.

Audio quality is a subjective thing; I'm no golden-eared audiophile so I've not felt it lacking. In my experience it's FM radio quality or slightly better, which I realize is not good enough for some folks. Can't speak to the variety; I've been satisfied with the variety on the stations I listen to - another subjective thing.

I think the main thing I like about SiriusXM is not having to find new radio stations when driving out of town. I don't always feel like messing with my own playlists or choosing what to listen to, and streaming music can be spotty in the mountains.

egregor: I would definitely be p!ssed off if they called me to try to sell me stuff, I wish I could tell you what I must have inadvertently done but they've never called me for anything. I get email promos but never a phone call.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Update: since I'm an obstinate SOB, I took the opportunity of being stuck in traffic trying to get out of DC-land to call Sirius again and harass them. 1st call was as described in OP. 2nd call I actually got to talk to someone who understood what I was trying to get across (hey, let's see if my module works, then you can go into your sales pitch and try to sell me a subscription) but I got put on perma-hold and I hung up after about 10 min. and then called back. 3rd rep was also cool and I got 3 free months out of the deal and my Sirius *is* working, so I got that going for me. (I just saw that the modules just apparently tripled in price from the dealer which leads me to believe that they'll be discontinued soon, so I really just wanted to add it to my car now while I still could find them used and reasonably inexpensively in case I decided at some time in the future that I really wanted it)

I still can't believe that a) they're advertising a "free trial" that apparently isn't happening - yeah, that's going to give potential subscribers an incentive to sign up with you! - and b) that they LOCKED DOWN THE PREVIEW CHANNEL - I mean, that's just dumb. But I guess it wouldn't be the first time that a corporation has made a dumb decisions. (does anyone actually tune to the preview channel and just listen to that? Really? The whole purpose of the preview channel is to allow people to test their equipment before calling Sirius and/or to advertise to people who are checking out the features of their shiny new car.)

gpb: your reasons for having it are pretty much the same as mine; my cell is Sprint who doesn't have high enough speed service to stream music reliably anywhere and I don't like streaming music anyway because I'm usually using my cell to run Trapster while I'm driving so I need those audio alerts. And on the drive from DC to my parents' house, there's not a lot of variety in radio stations for a good distance along that drive - seriously, your options for about an hour and a half or so are religious programming or both kinds of music (country *and* western <G>) and sometimes I'm just sick of the (admittedly vast) selection of music that I have saved on my thumb drive and just want to try to find something different.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
GetSomeE92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

I just recently activated my Sirius radio in my car and got 6 months for $24.99 ($31 and change after taxes). I had head of people having to fight with them to get this deal, but it only took me 15 minutes on the phone, start to finish.

Sound quality is just okay, it cuts out when I drive through areas of my neighborhood where the road has a canopy from the large oak trees, and cuts out when I go under most overpasses on the highway, but for about $5 a month it is a nice option to have while in the car.
Appreciate 0