E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Is my Idrive dying?? thin lines of colors on screen

07-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: e92 TiAg

Is my Idrive screen dying?? thin lines of colors on screen

Okay, so I was just driving the other night and I suddenly noticed the screen turns black (I could still see the backlight so it was not completely off).

Then after driving a few miles suddenly the screen came back on like nothing happened. When it showed up again it had the map direction of travel which I was using and so I think just the screen was off.

The very next day, the Idrive screen again screwed up. But this time it had many lines with different colors (looked like an f'ed up computer screen) and I checked to see if all other functions were working by pressing the voice button and it was indeed working. Music was still playing too.

I got to the gym so I turned off the car.. work out for about an hour and a half and came back but the screen turns white and then black. I can see faint lines of colors.. music and stuff still works.

So I just start heading home and in the middle I had to get off the car once with engine running, when I got back inside the screen was ON again. And perfectly normal like nothing happened!

Anyone know what the heck is going on?
Should I be worried?

Last edited by tldoxmf87; 08-24-2010 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

BMW electrical gremlins at work again. Keep an eye on it. If it becomes persistent you will need to take it in for service.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep

Okay... Now when I start the car there will be a brief white screen and pitch black.
Now I don't see any backlights. The screen seems to be completely turned off.
But other idrive function like the cd player, aux, voice command works so I guess it's just the screen.

Any guess on what the problem might be? Lose cable? Blown fuse?
I heard Idrive screen fuse is used with trunk light and compartment light as well and they're both fine so I guess it's not the fuse.

Anyone know how much it would cost just to replace the screen?

Last edited by tldoxmf87; 08-01-2010 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

The lcd driver is going bad. Could be intermittent shorts/opens in the wiring.

Essentially, you'll probably need a new LCD unit. Not the computer.
Of course, I'm speaking from desktop/laptop experience; with BMW, I wouldn't be surprised if they forced you to buy an entire replacement iDrive unit for what should be a relatively cheap fix.
      08-22-2010, 03:44 AM   #5
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep

I think this issue might be related to the temperature somehow..
This all started when the weather was starting to get hot. During the day when it's hot, the screen is almost always dead. At night when it's cooler, I noticed the screen comes back more often.

Now it's very cool here in Seattle and my Idrive screen is now completely back for about 4 days in a row now. It can be coincidence but... anyone know?

Now I'm worried that if I take it into service they might say they can't replicate the problem.. I can't wait till next summer since my warranty will be up within 3~4 months.

Any idea of what might be the problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #6
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
The lcd driver is going bad. Could be intermittent shorts/opens in the wiring.

Essentially, you'll probably need a new LCD unit. Not the computer.
Of course, I'm speaking from desktop/laptop experience; with BMW, I wouldn't be surprised if they forced you to buy an entire replacement iDrive unit for what should be a relatively cheap fix.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Definitely it is the "graphics card" that drives the LCD screen (maybe included in the same assembly with the LCD, or it may be separate on the main board.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep

Thanks.. I'll take it in for service and post results..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

I posted something similar awhile back but received no responses, so it seemed that I was the only one. Maybe there are 2 of us. I've had this intermittent problem for a while. I don't know if it is the same as yours. Let me explain.

My Navi works normally (well most of the time) but suddenly the screen starts displaying weird things, like red lines all over and multi-colored effects that are quickly popping/moving around on the screen -- quite distracting. Sometimes the effect is more subtle, with just the icons turning into pink squares where it should display the freeway number instead.

I took it in previously and they did a PUMA and reprogrammed or some such thing and of course, it came right back a couple of weeks later. They didn't do anything or find anything I'm sure.

I originally noticed the problem during the damp weather in winter so I thought maybe it was moisture related, but since then I've also seen it at other times in dry, summer, so I'm starting to think that it is unrelated to weather.

This effect can begin anytime, after I start my car or after I've been driving awhile. Keep me posted, I would love to know how this can be fixed since it's such a rare problem I don't think BMW knows.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
I posted something similar awhile back but received no responses, so it seemed that I was the only one. Maybe there are 2 of us. I've had this intermittent problem for a while. I don't know if it is the same as yours. Let me explain.

My Navi works normally (well most of the time) but suddenly the screen starts displaying weird things, like red lines all over and multi-colored effects that are quickly popping/moving around on the screen -- quite distracting. Sometimes the effect is more subtle, with just the icons turning into pink squares where it should display the freeway number instead.

I took it in previously and they did a PUMA and reprogrammed or some such thing and of course, it came right back a couple of weeks later. They didn't do anything or find anything I'm sure.

I originally noticed the problem during the damp weather in winter so I thought maybe it was moisture related, but since then I've also seen it at other times in dry, summer, so I'm starting to think that it is unrelated to weather.

This effect can begin anytime, after I start my car or after I've been driving awhile. Keep me posted, I would love to know how this can be fixed since it's such a rare problem I don't think BMW knows.

Interesting.. I never had pink squares or stuff like that but I did have multiple lines of colors and such.. Now when it happens the screen just fades away and leaves some faint lining on the screen and then after a minute or two eventually turns black.

Like you said, it can happen anytime.. When I start the car or when I'm driving..

Now I'm worried that the dealership might say they just can't replicate the problem Since the only fix for this seems to be replacing the whole screen unit that's a problem..

But anyways I scheduled an appointment on Septermber 2nd so I'll definately post updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

As for the BMW techs not being able to replicate the issue.....at the least, just take a camcorder video of the problem, show it to the service manager when you take it in.
That way, at least they know that you weren't hallucinating on mushrooms or something.
      08-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Not sure but I believe there is a cooling fan in the dash for the electronics. If it has failed that could be the problem not being able to cool enough on hot days (Seattle hot that is). Or, those are about the exact symptoms of my display failure back within the first two weeks of ownership (5+ years ago). CID only replaced in March 05 and been good ever since.
      09-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep

They had my car overnight and they said they couldn't replicate the problem and wanted me to bring it back when the screen is gone... My warranty is ending soon so I'm screwed.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tldoxmf87 View Post
Okay, so I was just driving the other night and I suddenly noticed the screen turns black (I could still see the backlight so it was not completely off).

Then after driving a few miles suddenly the screen came back on like nothing happened. When it showed up again it had the map direction of travel which I was using and so I think just the screen was off.

The very next day, the Idrive screen again screwed up. But this time it had many lines with different colors (looked like an f'ed up computer screen) and I checked to see if all other functions were working by pressing the voice button and it was indeed working. Music was still playing too.

I got to the gym so I turned off the car.. work out for about an hour and a half and came back but the screen turns white and then black. I can see faint lines of colors.. music and stuff still works.

So I just start heading home and in the middle I had to get off the car once with engine running, when I got back inside the screen was ON again. And perfectly normal like nothing happened!

Anyone know what the heck is going on?
Should I be worried?
Hi tldoxmf87,I know the has been more then a year since this post but you never say if you fix the problem or you still have it,i will like to know if you fix it and how,because I have the same problem on my e60 and when I start searching your post came out,so please let me know what you did,before I take it for service,I comment to the service manager and hec
Tells me the it maybe the ccc and the may need to replace for $2,000 before even check the car,so I dont it sound more like the screen because everything work,it just the color lines and the screen going white and black,so I hope you see this post again and give me some good news,thanks in advance...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep

It was actually not the idrive that was failing.
I had a aftermarket back-up camera installed and the unit connecting it to the monitor was failing. They sent me a replacement unit and I installed it and now the problem is gone. A year has passed and there's no problem whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger2540 View Post
Hi tldoxmf87,I know the has been more then a year since this post but you never say if you fix the problem or you still have it,i will like to know if you fix it and how,because I have the same problem on my e60 and when I start searching your post came out,so please let me know what you did,before I take it for service,I comment to the service manager and hec
Tells me the it maybe the ccc and the may need to replace for $2,000 before even check the car,so I dont it sound more like the screen because everything work,it just the color lines and the screen going white and black,so I hope you see this post again and give me some good news,thanks in advance...
      08-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tldoxmf87 View Post
It was actually not the idrive that was failing.
I had a aftermarket back-up camera installed and the unit connecting it to the monitor was failing. They sent me a replacement unit and I installed it and now the problem is gone. A year has passed and there's no problem whatsoever.
lucky you man,I wonder if my problem is the screen,someone mention that it is the graphic card,but where is the graphic card,do you know if its on the screen by any chance,man I want to sell my car this coming winter so I can buy a 335i coupe,but I need to fix this problem first you know,if any help out there please let me know.hey thanks so much to response so quick man...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #17
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep

If you had the exact same problem as me (meaning: the screen will work fine for a while but then suddenly turns black after some time), then it might not be the screen.

I'm not sure but I think I'd replace the HDD unit.
Sorry I'm no help but maybe try to take it in to a indy shop and see if they can just diagnose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger2540 View Post
lucky you man,I wonder if my problem is the screen,someone mention that it is the graphic card,but where is the graphic card,do you know if its on the screen by any chance,man I want to sell my car this coming winter so I can buy a 335i coupe,but I need to fix this problem first you know,if any help out there please let me know.hey thanks so much to response so quick man...