E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Limp Mode WITHOUT Limp Mode Light

10-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Limp Mode WITHOUT Limp Mode Light

So I have a 2007 E92 335i, with a stock motor (not piggybacks) and last night as I was going WOT in 1st the car cut power and went into limp mode, but did not throw a light or code. The car def cut boost and I am very familiar with the limp mode feel.

I then pulled over and re-cycled the car and it's fine, but I thought it was strange that it went into limp mode, but did not throw a limp mode code or half engine light.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

are u sure it wasn't just the lag associated with 29.2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
techforge
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

There's no mistaking limp mode - it's like driving a Prius. Do you have a code reader to see if anything "hidden" has been thrown?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

This happens to me at the track when the coolant temp gets too high. I have a boost gauge so I know... boost gets cut by like 50% and timing retarded until water temps drop to more acceptable levels.

There's no engine malfunction light or anything when this happens... and this usually happens only on Automatics that tend to overheat the coolant before overheating the oil.

Oh one more thing... no shutdown of the engine is needed... if I just drive easy for a minute or two to let the coolant temps come down, then the boost comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
So I have a 2007 E92 335i, with a stock motor (not piggybacks) and last night as I was going WOT in 1st the car cut power and went into limp mode, but did not throw a light or code. The car def cut boost and I am very familiar with the limp mode feel.

I then pulled over and re-cycled the car and it's fine, but I thought it was strange that it went into limp mode, but did not throw a limp mode code or half engine light.

10-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforge View Post
There's no mistaking limp mode - it's like driving a Prius. Do you have a code reader to see if anything "hidden" has been thrown?
I do have a code reader...I will plug it in when I get home...Also I have a 6MT and I was not driving very hard or for very long. Ambient temp was cool 60 degrees or so.

Might have been a fluke....I will update people if it happens again.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
MarinoB
Captain
Croatia
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3

ive had it happen to me
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
ala012
Koala012
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Dakar Yellow

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post

argggg BAD FUEL PUMP !

Same thing happend to me several times before I got into limp mode.

Couple days later, byebye fuel pump.

I had to tow my car to dealer.
      10-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ala012 View Post
argggg BAD FUEL PUMP !

Same thing happend to me several times before I got into limp mode.

Couple days later, byebye fuel pump.

I had to tow my car to dealer.
Ugh I hope not...this would be 2nd Fuel Pump
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
This happens to me at the track when the coolant temp gets too high. I have a boost gauge so I know... boost gets cut by like 50% and timing retarded until water temps drop to more acceptable levels.

There's no engine malfunction light or anything when this happens... and this usually happens only on Automatics that tend to overheat the coolant before overheating the oil.

Oh one more thing... no shutdown of the engine is needed... if I just drive easy for a minute or two to let the coolant temps come down, then the boost comes back.
i did not know that the AT uses same system as our engine coolant system...is this correct??
if so that would make the coming VK AT (trans cooler) a good mod for those who track.
Appreciate 0