E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Securing the car / upgrading alarm system

02-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #1
AzRiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LE500

Securing the car / upgrading alarm system

With the common knowledge that our cars are easy to steal and havig heard of some going missing not too far from my area, I'm becoming increasingly worried about my car's safety.

I found out that it'll cost over £600 to get a Viper or similar system fitted so just thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone has any advice to make the car more secure without having to fork out £600+. Quick little changes like just relocating the OBD port, or a system that can be fitted for less money.

Any tips or advice would be helpful

Thanks!

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Just noticed the sticky about this topic - didn't show on mobile straight away!

The replacement question is:

Does anyone know of a good system that can be fitted for under £600? Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Mate, get urself a Disklok, cheapest deterrent, does the job really well
      02-25-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
Mate, get urself a Disklok, cheapest deterrent, does the job really well
+1

Picked one up off Gumtree (of all places) for £30.00
      02-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Ring Cookes Ferry in north London. Ask them about their security upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 07:04 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01
Ring Cookes Ferry in north London. Ask them about their security upgrade.
+1
Or if you are clever enough then you can do it yourself.
Done it to a forum member.
      02-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #7
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

anybody got one of these?

http://www.nvmotorsport.co.uk/OBD-ST...getting-stolen

worth it or...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:26 AM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

The Cookes Ferry method is pointless because at the end of the day if you can access the OBD port you can programme any key to the car. Waste of time and money.

You could get the Viper but with less of the bells and whistles. You don't need things like a proximity sensor (more trouble than it is worth at times), glass break sensor, flashing logo on the screen (although that is a nice deterrent) or the LCD remote. All in all that would be less than £600 I'd imagine.

You could move the OBD port... but come MOT time or when you hand it in to the dealer for service etc. you would need to move it back as they can be baskets about this.

I would also suggest removing the door lock if you have one.

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 02-26-2015 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:57 AM   #9
garysan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
The Cookes Ferry method is pointless because at the end of the day if you can access the OBD port you can programme any key to the car. Waste of time and money.
I thought the software update cured this problem of freely reprogramming blank keys to the car, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 03:37 AM   #10
BMWChap
Major
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
+1

Picked one up off Gumtree (of all places) for £30.00
Had mine for years and have to agree
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysan View Post
I thought the software update cured this problem of freely reprogramming blank keys to the car, no?
The software update disables the OBD port while the alarm is active. However, as you may know with Germans regulations on Sound Pollution applied to our car alarms... the standard alarm can sound like a microwave meal has finished cooking. If you are in the back of your house and it went off chances are you would not hear it straight away. Besides that... there was/is a "blank" spot on the drivers side window that fell short of the interior motion sensor on older models... so that is an ongoing issue for some. If the driver side glass is broken at a certain point the alarm fails to sound. I think they have since rectified this by positioning the motion sensor elsewhere on newer models/improving the coverage area.

Bottom line. Anything done via the OBD port can obviously be reversed via the port. The only thing we can do is create deterrents, slow thieves down and make them think that it would be too much hassle/risk of getting noticed is higher if we beef up security. If someone wants it that bad they will find a way.

A good system will help to fight off code cloning and jamming when you lock your car up.

Parking the correct way can also help. I think someone once said on a different forum that if its a FWD then forward park on to your drive... and if it is RWD then reverse park on? Cannot remember which way around that goes but think that is it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:15 AM   #12
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox

You could get the Viper but with less of the bells and whistles. You don't need things like a proximity sensor (more trouble than it is worth at times), glass break sensor, flashing logo on the screen (although that is a nice deterrent) or the LCD remote. All in all that would be less than 600 I'd imagine.

You could move the OBD port... but come MOT time or when you hand it in to the dealer for service etc. you would need to move it back as they can be baskets about this.

I would also suggest removing the door lock if you have one.
Porkies!!!!

Do you know what cookes ferry's method is?

It works FYI!
      02-27-2015, 03:49 AM   #13
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Enlighten me if I have it wrong... everything I know about it I have read off here. May be some of the posts are not the most credible of sources. My understanding that both keys are needed for this method. I stand my position for now until corrected that any coding done via the port can also be reversed via the port. Crime always has a way of catching up.

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 02-27-2015 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #14
AzRiz
Captain
Rep

Thanks for all of the input and ideas guys

I've been thinking of what to do and have decided that I'm probably going to go ahead and have a Viper system fitted with a couple of extras by SecureMyCar this month

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #15
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Lets just say, our e9x is old , doubt they will bother with low value cars. Also if they want your car, they get it no matter what.

but saying that i relocated my obd port.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 05:54 AM   #16
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRiz View Post
Thanks for all of the input and ideas guys

I've been thinking of what to do and have decided that I'm probably going to go ahead and have a Viper system fitted with a couple of extras by SecureMyCar this month
Had Antony from Secure my Car do my E46 M3 Viper alarm. Must admit i had the full works, Remote start, Proximity Alert, Glass protection, cost over a grand, but the M3 was a highly attractive car for the thieves and wanted top cover. Insurance went down about a fiver but the Gadgets were great. I think my Estoril Blue M3 is still on his website and facebook. I think i was his first Remote Start E46 M3

He is first class at fitting, careful and cautious worker and got everything fitted just right!

Not considered this YET for my E90, but if i was to have an Alarm upgrade it would be with SecureMyCar and a Viper again.

Just my t'pennth worth!!