Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bad idea to run different rears than fronts?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Question Bad idea to run different rears than fronts?

This is my first car where I will likely experience faster rear tire wear than front (especially if that V3 makes it into the car ). Since the wear won't be even and the rears may need to be replaced first/separately from the fronts, is it bad to have a different brand/model tire on the rear than the front?

When the time comes, I was also considering doing nonRFT on the rears since they are grippier and less $ to replace. Is that even more of a disasterous idea?

What caught my attention and made me ask this was noticing that Tire Rack has PZero Nero 255 rear size 18's on closeout for a re-friggin-diculous price...I'm almost tempted to order some and just keep them until I need them.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

As long as you aren't mixing tires or wear amounts on the same axle, it really doesn't matter.

Edit: I don't know about an xi though. I don't know if the AWD system cars about having stickier tires on one axle than the other, I would probably keep them matched, but on a RWD it won't matter.
      04-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Keep matched tires on the Xi for sure. Even on a rear drive car mixing an non runflat with a runflat of a different brand, model, and tread pattern of tire will cause some unstable hanlding at the limit and perhaps even in mildly aggressive corners.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Keep matched tires on the Xi for sure. Even on a rear drive car mixing an non runflat with a runflat of a different brand, model, and tread pattern of tire will cause some unstable hanlding at the limit and perhaps even in mildly aggressive corners.
+1

That's true, if you're doing any aggressive driving I'd keep them matched. With a 50/50 balanced car you want tires to keep the same grip all the way around or else the front of back may lose grip before the other. Kind of defeats the purpose of a perfect 50/50 balance.