E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d selling privately

02-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

335d selling privately

Now committed to selling my car now i have put down a deposit on my new car.

I could also do with selling before mid april as insurance company wont let me insure 2 cars on same NCB after this point. Thieving .....

Autotrader is the most obvious place. I'm putting up an ad there next week. What about eBay or other places, anyone had success elsewhere?

I put an ad on this forum last month with some old pics but now with a full clean, some new pics and new ad : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807531 - just disappointed now i looked on the computer they look a little dark and i've driven the bloody thing not so not perfectly clean again.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Now committed to selling my car now i have put down a deposit on my new car.

I could also do with selling before mid april as insurance company wont let me insure 2 cars on same NCB after this point. Thieving .....

Autotrader is the most obvious place. I'm putting up an ad there next week. What about eBay or other places, anyone had success elsewhere?

I put an ad on this forum last month with some old pics but now with a full clean, some new pics and new ad : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807531 - just disappointed now i looked on the computer they look a little dark and i've driven the bloody thing not so not perfectly clean again.
I have sold a few. Only had much with auto trader. Don't bother with the premium placements in say what car or other mainstream car mags. I just got spam calls offering vendors if I paid a fee
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Would you recommend just Autotrader online then? £56 for 6 weeks online v £43 3 weeks online and 2 weeks in the mag but does anyone really read the mag v online.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Most use it online I'd say.

Pistonheads classifieds worth a go, thats where I found mine.
      02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Would you recommend just Autotrader online then? £56 for 6 weeks online v £43 3 weeks online and 2 weeks in the mag but does anyone really read the mag v online.
I wouldn't bother with the mag,online is by far the best medium.

As Dave said,PH is the only other alternative,Ebay is populated by dickheads/timewasters and scam artists.

Good luck,I tried pre-Xmas,and got zilch interest,not even an enquiry from Nigeria

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Dave, i put it on pistonheads last night. Has a call from an 0845 number so i guess its started with the crap.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I wouldn't bother with the mag,online is by far the best medium.

As Dave said,PH is the only other alternative,Ebay is populated by dickheads/timewasters and scam artists.

Good luck,I tried pre-Xmas,and got zilch interest,not even an enquiry from Nigeria
I remember you mentioning and from what i saw from meet photos a v.nice car too.

Wonder if it's timing. A good spec helps which i hope i have and good price. I noticed a silver 335d same as mine go on AT last week after 2 weeks for 15k. Probably right person right time.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I guess it comes down to being in the right place at the right time. Still, the best time of year to sell is just coming up, prior to the feel-good better weather etc. Hopefully lol
      02-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Darlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 M Sport Touring

I use to sell most of mine via autotrader, but managed to sell last couple via classified ads on eBay. £15 for 28 days which I think is great value and makes autotrader look a complete rip off. You can put so much info on the eBay advert as well
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
DMH-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Go through Quidco if your listing on Autotrader, you get 20% cashback
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

I've sold plenty of cars in my time.. All sporty kind of cars from hot hatches to Vectra VXR engined Saabs! All sold through Pistonheads.. Even a diesel Focus (px'd with a guy against his ST220)

Never had any joy anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #12
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH-01 View Post
Go through Quidco if your listing on Autotrader, you get 20% cashback
+1

Autotrader and try eBay classified.
Never used PH

Put your details though WBAC to get the absolute minimum price, and if it comes to it, use as a bargaining point - you won't take less than WBAC!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Just thought i would update this thread

since putting my advert up about 2 or 3 weeks ago i've had 4 enquires. 3 of them all wanting to swap numbers and, 2 of them i actually did, and none of them actually called when the said they were going to.

1 was purely via email and he wanted to come to look at the car from Aberdeen then decided he didnt have enough time.

People seem to feed you plenty of bollocks, say how very interested they are then dont follow through.

I've had at least 3 scam requests too. It is actually quite worrying how many there are. 1 of them had my eBay listing removed! So i had to re-list. Had another chancer scammer email me from AT last night. This penis has been selling items from the Shetland Islands, Norfolk, Wales and Tyneside. What a nob.

So bit of a minefield and the 335d prices, interesting... It's quite clear that bigger engined cars aren't the flavour of the month/year/decade. I got my XFR for a good price. c63 and m3's are the same. I've been watching AT for all of these cars and really not much is shifting at all. I'm confident it will go, i can see it's just a matter of another few weeks maybe. Not desperate to sell fortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Sorry to hear of your troubles, there's a lot to be said for just part ex'ing and getting a bum deal than having to deal with selling privately. For what it's worth I sold my S2000 on Pistonheads and despite the fella promising the world from France anting to pay in Euros there were some serious buyers too....
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers i know i'm not keen on selling privately but it always comes good in the end.

Just staggered the amount of scamming going on now. I relisted my ebay ad and got a scam message within 2 hours!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlo View Post
I use to sell most of mine via autotrader, but managed to sell last couple via classified ads on eBay. £15 for 28 days which I think is great value and makes autotrader look a complete rip off. You can put so much info on the eBay advert as well
+1

I sold my last car on eBay last year, I done the ad while I was in bed on a Saturday morning, I got up and went to the bathroom and by the time I got there, the phone was ringing, it was somebody enquiring about my car. He came to see it later that day and bought it there and then. I had alot of phone calls about the car, some offering ridiculous amounts and some serious enquiries.

I was sceptical about using eBay as I was wary of scammers and time wasters, but I was proved wrong, if its priced competitively, it will sell.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
jasonprice07
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I sold my 335d 3 weeks ago via a classified ad in ebay.
I also had adverts in Autotrader and PH running.
Plenty of scam emails, but you learn to spot them straight away!
I agree, big diesel engines are not in favour at the moment with the high fuel price. Having said than my new Mercedes with a 2.1 diesel is not much better

Jason
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #18
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

I sold mine via autotrader around 3 months ago. Got no interest off PH and mainly scammers from autotrader.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #19
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Loads of scams - almost 1 every other day. Some of them seem more genuine initially.

Not sure if I'm paranoid but 1 guy didn't even know what chaps payment was. Contacted me through PH but had no idea what to do when I asked him for a link to his profile. He then said he only reads not posts. Just thought it was a but strange... Could have been ok tho.
Appreciate 0