E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Erratic Oil Temperature - Extreme

04-20-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
trycolor
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i sedan

Erratic Oil Temperature - Extreme

Gentlemen, I have been struggling a great deal with what started off as a simple battery/alternator, and has ended up being a great deal more.

TLDR included
2007 335i Manual Sedan

The start of my trouble began when I realized a slow crank one morning and a failed start. Finding a 3 year old battery in Arizona I removed, bench tested, and replaced without hesitation. 1 month later, my vehicle started to cut the radio in and out 4 miles from home, all lights on dash started to flicker, and car died around the corner from my house. I pushed it the rest of the way home and decided to remove the alternator and get it tested. Bench test result = Fail. Purchased a Bosch alternator from autozone and installed, the car is now running, but my oil temperature gauge will sporadically travel anywhere on the gauge. These temps ranging from 120 to 300 set off both temp warning lights and go into limp mode. Included video.

At this point I decided a new oil temp/level/condition sensor was in order after reading what seemed like hundreds of posts. This however did not fix the problem. I proceeded to use the Bentley manual to trace the wiring from the oil sensor to the ecm where I found no break in the wire and no short with a variable 5-8 VDC @ ecm. After a failed attempt at getting software on my laptop to run with the DCAN USB cable, I decided to take it to the dealer. The dealer told me to start with a battery, and IBS sensor so they could scan it. I informed them the battery was new and they told me it was still bad and needed to be replaced to get a scan on the car. From this point I had to go to the dealer to get my battery and get it warrantied by autozone, however after 45 minutes of charge battery tested good at 13.2 VDC. I brought my battery back to the dealer with the testing paperwork and they reinstalled with a new IBS sensor. Found out it needed Waterpump, Thermostat, and low fuel pressure sensor, then they could proceed to look at the oil temperature. After this experience I removed my vehicle and Installed the waterpump and tstat myself. This still has not fixed my problem. I am hoping to avoid a huge loss on this vehicle and get it running, please help.

TLDR
oil temperature gauge crazy erratic, goes into limp mode,
Oil level/temp/condition sensor, battery, IBS sensor, Alternator, Waterpump, and TStat all replaced - same problem
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
328i_E92_2007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Wow. You have been thru some crazy stuff with your car. Unfortunately i have no idea what could be wrong with your car. Only thing i can think of is that there is a fried circuit board somewhere. Hope you figure it out soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
trycolor
Registered
Rep

I have since ordered a DME since that would possibly be where a fried circuit board is located. Used on ebay, but at least I can test it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Subscribed.

How do you plan on coding the DME to your specific car, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
trycolor
Registered
Rep

The one I ordered and put in was from 06 and the one that was in my car was jan 07. After installing the "new" one my car would only crank and crank but no start. Can you give me a breakdown on what coding i would need to perform? According to the seller it should be compatible with my car.
Appreciate 0