E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - E92 CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) Removal

01-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #265
Jmichael
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

From all the comments I have read in this thread, it sounds like this simple mod will cure my biggest complaint about my car. I have one point I am a bit confused on though. From some of the comments I have read, I infer that some folks believe there is interaction between the CDV and the (D)TC.

It is my understanding that eliminating the CDV will have no effect on the operation of the traction control system, since the traction control is effected by the braking system. Does anyone have any evidence or opinion to the contrary?

Although the TC can be a proctological nuisance when attempting to climb slippery hills, it is very useful when driving on flat, icy highways.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #266
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
can you just not install the modified CDV, but instead just reconnect the soft line to hard line? in other words, just not have any CDV at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #267
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
can you just not install the modified CDV, but instead just reconnect the soft line to hard line? in other words, just not have any CDV at all?
You can but I wouldnt recommend it. Now youre stretching the lines to fit and thats about 3" of stretching. Theres no reason not to put the CDV back in. Takes an extra minute to do.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #268
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: em-funf

Garage List
thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #269
MCOChuck
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
I didn’t bother to read through the responses to see if this has already been covered, but here’s how to mod your own CDV (barrowed from a post on another forum).

This was for BMW part # 2152 6 764 872. Places like Bavarian Autosport are selling moded valves for $30. You can pick one up from the dealer for less than half the cost and mod it yourself in seconds. Or you could always mod the one you take out of your car for free.

Here's how: Put an allen key in the small side of the CDV and tap it with a hammer to push the restrictor out the other side. No need to tap very hard. Now it's ready to be swapped into the car. Here’s a few pics:

On the left is the restrictor, the right is the valve without the restrictor installed (big difference):

This is what the parts looks like disassembled:
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #270
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOChuck View Post
I didn’t bother to read through the responses to see if this has already been covered, but here’s how to mod your own CDV (barrowed from a post on another forum).

This was for BMW part # 2152 6 764 872. Places like Bavarian Autosport are selling moded valves for $30. You can pick one up from the dealer for less than half the cost and mod it yourself in seconds. Or you could always mod the one you take out of your car for free.

Here's how: Put an allen key in the small side of the CDV and tap it with a hammer to push the restrictor out the other side. No need to tap very hard. Now it's ready to be swapped into the car. Here’s a few pics:

On the left is the restrictor, the right is the valve without the restrictor installed (big difference):

This is what the parts looks like disassembled:

GREAT Info!!! Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #271
E46toE90
Sparkling Graphite Metallic FTW
Rep
Drives: lci m-sport e90 n55

same way to do this on e90? same location im guessing
      03-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #272
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

E91 CDV Removal

Hi, I have modded my CDV on my E91 by removing the innards from the valve. I have posted pics on my own thread in UK section HERE

The clutch feels much better pulling away, is much more predictable and may be slightly lighter.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #273
matrix607
Rep
Drives: 2010 SGM 335i

Wow, this is a huge complaint for me! Glad that there is a fix for it! MCOChuck thanks for posting!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #274
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Last week I had this mod done on my car (2009 E90). I ordered a replacement CDV and modified it myself before supplying it to the mechanic for installation.

This mod is a significant change for the operation of the clutch. Its a lot more precise and is a noticable improvement for every aspect of the clutch use. The main benefit is the friction point always occurs at the same position of the clutch pedal, so it takes the guesswork out of using the clutch. I was a bit sceptical of people claiming the 1->2 shift would become smoother, but I am so happy to report most of the notchiness is gone.

I'd been driving the car for 2 years using the stock CDV. From the day I bought the car I realised the clutch was quite clumsy and had unusually soft engagement. Eventually I got used to the delay of the stock CDV. After doing the mod it took me about 2-3 days to properly adjust my shift timing in order to shift smoothly and quickly. Now I regret not doing the mod sooner. The clutch operation is now like a normal car and its a pleasure to use the gearshift. I recommend this mod to everyone.

Last edited by John_01; 05-03-2011 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #275
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

If anyone needs this done in the tri-state area, PM me. Ive done over 100 already.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #276
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

I finally did mine last evening. The setup took the longest and the actual removal took less than a minute. There was plenty of slack on the rubber line so I did not put back the modified CDV, I just mated the hard and soft line together. With minimal fluid loss I tried the clutch and it was as firm as before without bleeding. There is no doubt that there is a little air in the line however the clutch does not need as much force as the brakes so that's why I think is not a major problem with a small bubble in the line.

I was so happy with how easy it was so I took the wife out for a drive and 40 miles and three hours later I'm happy to report that my shifts are now very silky smooth. This mod is a must do.

-------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #277
Daiz4yota
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 AW M8 Competition Coupe

Really want to do this, but dont know if I know how to bleed the clutch properly. I plan on clamping the lines fully and just taking the innards out of the CDV and putting it back in. How hard is it to bleed? How do you do it exactly?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #278
Daiz4yota
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 AW M8 Competition Coupe

Welp, went ahead and did it today. As stated in here previously, I had a harder time actually getting to the valve than I did modding it. I used a vice clamp with a good amount of pressure, and when I unhooked the valve completely, I prob only lost about 3 drops of brake fluid total. I punched out the inside with an allan key and a hammer, and slid it right back in. Only problem is that the brake fluid rubbed the painted white rings off the CVD when I was reinstalling it. Hopefully this wont cause any warranty problems. Since I didnt really lose any fluid, and the pedal felt great, I didnt do a bleed at all. Seems to be working well. Made a great difference in shifting
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #279
dman918
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i x-drive m-sport

Would it be better to remove the restrictor in the valve or just remove the valve completely? Any difference?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #280
hiter202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

hey guys got a '11 335i xDrive Coupe E92 (AUTOMATIC) ... i know clutches are on manual cars, but not sure if it applies to BMW as well...can this be done to my Automatic 335i? because i hate when i press on the gas and the car delays for a 3 split seconds and then goes....not sure if this is what it is used for, but if so, please let me know so I can start looking into it.

Also...HyperM3...Im in the Tri-State Area, NY or NJ...how much would you charge to assist with this
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #281
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitefusion View Post
hey guys got a '11 335i xDrive Coupe E92 (AUTOMATIC) ... i know clutches are on manual cars, but not sure if it applies to BMW as well...can this be done to my Automatic 335i? because i hate when i press on the gas and the car delays for a 3 split seconds and then goes....not sure if this is what it is used for, but if so, please let me know so I can start looking into it.

Also...HyperM3...Im in the Tri-State Area, NY or NJ...how much would you charge to assist with this
You know, at first I was laughing and then thinking, but now Im quite certain. You answered the question, clutches are on manual cars regardless of manufacture. The CDV(Clutch Delay Valve) would not be on your automatic vehicle.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #282
hiter202
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am an idiot indeed in that case. I figured since its an automatic and you sort of hear a stock BOV on mine, figured that maybe clutch somehow applies to me as well.

Sorry and thanks HyperM3

Any ideas what can be done in order to remove the delay on mine tho? I figured I'd ask at least.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #283
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am an idiot indeed in that case. I figured since its an automatic and you sort of hear a stock BOV on mine, figured that maybe clutch somehow applies to me as well.

Sorry and thanks HyperM3

Any ideas what can be done in order to remove the delay on mine tho? I figured I'd ask at least.
No worries. What exactly is the delay youre experiencing? Is it a hesitation between pressing the gas pedal and the car actually moving, or is it a delay between pressing the gas pedal and the turbos spooling up?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #284
hiter202
Captain
United_States
Rep

hmm not quite sure, but im coming from an Acura MDX as my last car which is v6 3.7 300hp, so i used to drive it in tiptronic all the time...now i got this baby, but everytime i step on the gas, the car accelerates but slow and then i hear turbos kickin and then the car takes off. so give or take about 5 seconds maybe or so, maybe 3....but when cutting people off cuz of other people stopping short in my lane, not very good to have that delay. also very un-used to the fact that when in tipronic on this car, forward is to down shift and towards me is to up shift, which is VERY uncomfortable for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #285
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hmm not quite sure, but im coming from an Acura MDX as my last car which is v6 3.7 300hp, so i used to drive it in tiptronic all the time...now i got this baby, but everytime i step on the gas, the car accelerates but slow and then i hear turbos kickin and then the car takes off. so give or take about 5 seconds maybe or so, maybe 3....but when cutting people off cuz of other people stopping short in my lane, not very good to have that delay. also very un-used to the fact that when in tipronic on this car, forward is to down shift and towards me is to up shift, which is VERY uncomfortable for me.
Shoulda got a manual! My sister had an MDX and I know what youre talking about. However, the gas pedal on that truck is very touchy. Every car is different. I would try NOT using the tip and keeping it in drive for a bit. Just let the car learn how you drive. There is a kickdown point where even in drive, if you slam your foot down on the gas pedal to the floor it will downshift automatically and keep the RPM's up.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #286
hiter202
Captain
United_States
Rep

would be great if I knew how to drive stick lol
but yea, i deff have to get used to the car, lovin' it so far amazing ride.

already did the Golf Tee trick, but seems like it might eat a bit more gas, but i think its a placebo in a way because usually dont pay attention to gas but now i do after doing the mod lol

Next on the list is the BOV mod (which im pretty sure the car does have even tho its Automatic because i hear the hissing sounds when driving =P)

Dont know what else to do for little ammounts of money...considering its a LEASE lol dont want to do anything drastic
Appreciate 0