E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > compact/smart/office help.....

01-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

compact/smart/office help.....

.... well, as my bby boy was born on last sunday, it got me thinking about space around the house.

We live in a three bed semi, personally i'd class it as 2.5 bed, but thats just me.....

Anyway, after giving it some thought, i'm going to give up my office (the .5 or 3rd bedroom) and let my boy have it as a nursery/bedroom.

BUT - there in lies an issue, I run my business from home, although i don't need masses of space, i do still need some office space, so i was thinking about getting some kind of desk/bureau kinda thing.

I have the following that need housing :

Laptop (mainly can be sorted away)
MacBook Pro
HP 8500A printer/copier/fax
10 files
3 good size draws are needed

The rest i can get rid of or condense.

Can anyone suggest any idea's, links, suggestions that are relatively reasonably priced (i don't mean piss cheap, but the less the better)

Thanks in advance

Tom
      01-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNormal View Post
.... well, as my bby boy was born on last sunday, it got me thinking about space around the house.

We live in a three bed semi, personally i'd class it as 2.5 bed, but thats just me.....

Anyway, after giving it some thought, i'm going to give up my office (the .5 or 3rd bedroom) and let my boy have it as a nursery/bedroom.

BUT - there in lies an issue, I run my business from home, although i don't need masses of space, i do still need some office space, so i was thinking about getting some kind of desk/bureau kinda thing.

I have the following that need housing :

Laptop (mainly can be sorted away)
MacBook Pro
HP 8500A printer/copier/fax
10 files
3 good size draws are needed

The rest i can get rid of or condense.

Can anyone suggest any idea's, links, suggestions that are relatively reasonably priced (i don't mean piss cheap, but the less the better)

Thanks in advance

Tom
Is there enough space in the loft ? I mean can you stand up in there ? if you can then it can be used as a small office.

My previous house was 2.5 bed semi and I had the loft converted as a storage/office.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
If you are running your business from home, as well as space you need to think about privacy and noise.

Nothing worse than trying to do an important business phone call when the little one is screaming in the background.

I see somebody suggested the loft but another alternative might be one of those small garden offices (some of them are a little more than a glorified shed). They are not that expensive and would give you a proper office for not a lot of money.
      01-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Im looking into the garden office thing as well.. about £5k gets you something nice and not shed looking - and insulated for winter!

Best bit is from there you cant hear baby crying!
      01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
mtr123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 320d le-mans blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Im looking into the garden office thing as well.. about £5k gets you something nice and not shed looking - and insulated for winter!

Best bit is from there you cant hear baby crying!
i think we payed around 9-10k for our outside studio which is about 30ft by 20ft and that included electric/water etc. as its a fair way from the house.

They're a good investment if your staying at the property, if your planning on moving in a couple of years a loft conversion would add more value and you could (providing the condition is ok now) convert that relatively cheaply, boarded out with a desk and some electrics and a wooden ladder to get up there and bobs your uncle (maybe even a window if your the luxurious type haha)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

@webwysard - the loft conversion isn't an option sadly, the roof trusses are not in the best position and more annoyingly all the water tanks, and pipe work are in the way !
They're scattered around up their like crazy !

@m@rk - I hear what you're saying, and completely agree, thankfully I spend most of my time on the road working, but I need a desk/bureau for the one or possibly two mornings a month I have to get all the paperwork done and dusted.
The garden office/shed thing is a great idea, but far too expensive for what I need realistically.

I'm more after the smart desk office thing - like a large unit that backs against the wall but thank you for all the suggestions so far

Tom
      01-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do you have a garage?
I had half the garage converted to an office. Its a reasonable space, fully insulated, has a double glazed window, Fully waterproofed flooring. 3K all in.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post
Do you have a garage?
I had half the garage converted to an office. Its a reasonable space, fully insulated, has a double glazed window, Fully waterproofed flooring. 3K all in.
Sadly not

I've just been looking at almost ceiling height units on Amazon, I think I'll do that and build a pair of different matching wardrobes in the bedroom as a temp measure

Then a new house when funds allow