E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > HP Slate or Apple iPad - Great devices for our cars

03-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Lightbulb HP Slate or Apple iPad - Great devices for our cars

So both device have wi-fi with a 10" screen. Great for mobile to use in our cars. Had me wondering since I forget my laptop when I get on the roads and I can data-log. I was leaning on the iPad but now that I know that the Slate will have a USB port, iPad will not, this would make a nice touchscreen computer with a usb port to connect to our tunes. What are developers and tuners have in mind?
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS

Last edited by AltecBX; 03-12-2010 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

I never liked tablets, and I don't think they will gather ground, even as today. A nice ultraportable notebook or a good netbook (dual-core Atom, 4GB RAM, SSD) would be far more versatile today.

A tablet would indeed be nice in a car, if it was smaller and had a 7" screen. 10" seems too big to me for attaching in the car.

Between the iPad and the HP Slate, I would choose the HP. Looks just as good as the Apple (surprisingly) and it is far more powerful with full Windows 7, whereas the iPad is just an oversized iPod Touch. Connect your tunes to the iPod Touch

PS: What bothers me is that they delay the launch of the new MacBook Pros and Macbook Air such that the people will spend their money first on the iPad...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
gerardm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan - Alpine White

+1. I want a new macbookpro already
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardm View Post
+1. I want a new macbookpro already
i know
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
ren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
So both device have wi-fi with a 10" screen. Great for mobile to use in our cars. Had me wondering since I forget my laptop when I get on the roads and I can data-log. I was leaning on the iPad but now that I know that the Slate will have a USB port, iPad will not, this would make a nice touchscreen computer with a usb port to connect to our tunes. What are developers and tuners have in mind?
Not sure how you're thinking of data logging with the iPad. It's a nice toy but still runs the iPhone OS so you can't run Procede reader or BavTech software with it, even if it had a USB port. On the other side Slate will run Windows7 so I wouldn't compare the two. If the rumored macbook tablet comes out that would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
Dear god your grammar is terrible. Let me revise this for you:

So, both device have wi-fi with a 10" screen, which is great for mobile use in our cars. It had me wondering though. Could either of these tablets be used to data-log? I was leaning toward the iPad. However, the Slate has a USB port and the iPad does not. With a usb port, the Slate should make a nice touchscreen computer to connect to our tunes. What do the developers and tuners think about these tablets?

OP, please copy and paste this into your original message so anyone else that reads your thread doesn't have to scratch their head to figure out exactly what it is that you're getting at.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
tafan321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
Dear god your grammar is terrible. Let me revise this for you:

So, both devices have wi-fi with a 10" screen, which is great for mobile use in our cars. It had me wondering though. Could either of these tablets be used to data-log? I was leaning toward the iPad. However, the Slate has a USB port and the iPad does not. With a usb port, the Slate should make a nice touchscreen computer to connect to our tunes. What do the developers and tuners think about these tablets?

OP, please copy and paste this into your original message so anyone else that reads your thread doesn't have to scratch their head to figure out exactly what it is that you're getting at.
Thanks

Let me fix yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

hahahaha...Doh! haha...good eye sir!

OP, use that one
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
tafan321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i coupe

Haha couldn't help myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

never too proud to admit when I make a mistake...wish more people were like that!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

The discussion of what kind of tablets/netbooks/etc might make a nice play partner for infotainment system in the E9x seems interesting and important, and I really appreciated the OP starting the thread.

On the other hand, the tiresome tirade about grammar that followed was childish, arrogant, and just painful to read. This is a car enthusiast chat board - not an English class. Personally, I really resent it when somebody derails a perfectly interesting on-topic thread to convince us all that he/she is a language expert.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm eager to see how these tablet products work out and think they could be a nice complement to a tech-heavy car. I basically read and write for a living and I always have a ton of .PDF journal articles to sort though. The idea of a powerful tablet that would allow me to easily carry a lot of work onto a plane or train ride is appealing. If that device also gave me access to googlemaps and such in the car, without the overhead of a spinning hard drive or a having to deal with a keyboard, that might be really nice.

Oh, and there are probably lots of grammar and spelling mistakes in this post. Guess what? I don't care.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
imagine sticking an iPad where the Nav screen is
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
mycoupe
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
The discussion of what kind of tablets/netbooks/etc might make a nice play partner for infotainment system in the E9x seems interesting and important, and I really appreciated the OP starting the thread.

On the other hand, the tiresome tirade about grammar that followed was childish, arrogant, and just painful to read. This is a car enthusiast chat board - not an English class. Personally, I really resent it when somebody derails a perfectly interesting on-topic thread to convince us all that he/she is a language expert.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm eager to see how these tablet products work out and think they could be a nice complement to a tech-heavy car. I basically read and write for a living and I always have a ton of .PDF journal articles to sort though. The idea of a powerful tablet that would allow me to easily carry a lot of work onto a plane or train ride is appealing. If that device also gave me access to googlemaps and such in the car, without the overhead of a spinning hard drive or a having to deal with a keyboard, that might be really nice.

Oh, and there are probably lots of grammar and spelling mistakes in this post. Guess what? I don't care.
The only reason I see a need for correct grammar is because it is how we communicate. If the grammar and wording are not correct, the idea is not properly conveyed. See where I'm going?

As to the rest of your post, I agree. It would be really interesting to see what kind of role the tablet device could play in the auto world. I also agree that it is a good topic for the OP to have brought up.

So, to all this...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Well, the iPad will have GPS and accelerometers as well as cheap 3G. The free BMW M Meter app is pretty good and the Dynolicious app is only $12.99. Not really sure what the advantages of the HP Slate are over a Windows 7 laptop, aside from the touch interface.

Regardless, there will be a ton of tablets released this year.
Appreciate 0