E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Good shop in GA

05-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
cadenceE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 Manual, Silver/Black

Good shop in GA

Hey Guys... I have an 09 E92 man tran. I have VRSF DP's on it now with DCI. Had CP and Tial BOV on it but honestly it was too loud for my tastes as a 37 year old so I took them off. Also have Cobb V3 with Wedge tune on it for 93 octane. Runs about 18psi

Car seemed very strong while I was going through the tuning process with Wedge.

One day it just started feeling "odd" and intake noise seemed louder than normal. Wedge told me I had a boost leak after looking at logs.

I am not throwing any codes or anything but I do fear that is one of the issues. In fact, after installing my OEM CP and diverters I blew one off as I had not properly secured it and even then did not see a boost code thrown. So I cannot really rely on the ECU to tell me what is wrong.

What I am writing about is whether anyone will recommend any good shops that deal with the N54 that can do a thorough boost/vacuum test for me and rule out any leaks or fix them.

The car just runs.... weird. Power will come on at very non linear times. It seems louder than it should. I hear the turbos spooling as I drive out of my neighborhood sometimes.

With so many accolades for Wedge I cannot image it is the tune and I just want to get the car running properly before either I give up and I sell it. Or I fix it and move to more power.

I am in Alpharetta area but willing to go anywhere for a good price and good work. I have had quotes from a local Dinan shop for $300+ just to check for boost leaks. And although I know labor can be pricey the guy started arguing with me when I told him I had an after market tune and intakes on the car. So I fear a bias that I just don't want to deal with.. I just honesty don't think a boost test should take 2-3 hours in labor.

I may be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
JerMe404
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Harrison Motorsports, and they're near you. http://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Rickygst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

How many miles do you have on the car? What else has been done? What gas are you using, could be a host of things but the thing that comes to mind is the boost solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Bdifferent
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Buckhead Imports do pretty good work.
      05-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
grizz311
Captain Rus
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupe

Solo Motorsports
Markert Motor Works
      05-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #6
gogunbaba
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 15 X5M, 06 E46 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadenceE92 View Post
Hey Guys... I have an 09 E92 man tran. I have VRSF DP's on it now with DCI. Had CP and Tial BOV on it but honestly it was too loud for my tastes as a 37 year old so I took them off. Also have Cobb V3 with Wedge tune on it for 93 octane. Runs about 18psi

One day it just started feeling "odd" and intake noise seemed louder than normal. Wedge told me I had a boost leak after looking at logs.

I am not throwing any codes or anything but I do fear that is one of the issues. In fact, after installing my OEM CP and diverters I blew one off as I had not properly secured it and even then did not see a boost code thrown. So I cannot really rely on the ECU to tell me what is wrong.

What I am writing about is whether anyone will recommend any good shops that deal with the N54 that can do a thorough boost/vacuum test for me and rule out any leaks or fix them.

The car just runs.... weird. Power will come on at very non linear times. It seems louder than it should. I hear the turbos spooling as I drive out of my neighborhood sometimes.

With so many accolades for Wedge I cannot image it is the tune and I just want to get the car running properly before either I give up and I sell it. Or I fix it and move to more power.

I am in Alpharetta area but willing to go anywhere for a good price and good work. I have had quotes from a local Dinan shop for $300+ just to check for boost leaks. And although I know labor can be pricey the guy started arguing with me when I told him I had an after market tune and intakes on the car. So I fear a bias that I just don't want to deal with.. I just honesty don't think a boost test should take 2-3 hours in labor.

Thank you!
Please do yourself a favor and take your car to Markert Motorworks. I have been taking my manual 335i to them for years. I don't trust anyone else with my car. Dave is a genious and he will get it sorted out. They only work on BMWs and very familiar with working on or tuning N54s.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadenceE92 View Post

Thank you!
Solo Motorsports was decent when I used them years back for intake walnut blasting.

Harrison is good but not cheap and do not move quickly. They are a long time GA shop and sponsor of local BMW CCA events which is nice. I would trust them for sure if I had no other options but.....

The only shop I let touch my car (I do most mods | maintenace my self) is

FREED PERFORMANCE
http://www.freedperformance.com/

Tell Sean that Taylor sent you. He is a former Porsche master tech and his wife drives an N54. Anybody that rebuilds 911 engines to handle 1000HP is well qualified in my book! He knows german turbo cars like no other.

Also if you are not feeling the engine runs right and Wedge stated you have a boost leak I would look at your factory charge pipe as the culprit (you stated you removed the ER)

Good luck man
      05-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
cadenceE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow.. thank you for all the responses. Harrison is less than a mile away from me. And I pass by them every day going to work. I have spoken with them before and they did not seem very friendly but might give them a try. Solo motorsports I have contacted before as well. But my issue with them is that I contacted them for a walnut blast one day and they gave me a price. Called a month later and the price was different. Then mentinoed that they had given me a price before and he said "Oh ya".. that is what we charge? Seems odd to me.

To answer the questions above - Car now has 47,000 miles on it. I use 93 octane usually from QT I guess. I am not a huge fan of the good gas bad gas station claims really. Never had an issue before. I am sure I could use some walnut blasting as well with the miles. I have only had the car for 8,000 miles at this point though.

Only thing that is done are DCI (which will be going soon as well), DP's and the tune. As mentioned above I had CP and tial BOV but it was really just too loud. I am looking to get some Forge units and a new CP to recirc them. Oh.. and I put a new 335is clutch in it. So if anyone wants a stock clutch I have one with only 40k on it. Looked brand new when I pulled it. Just wouldn't hold the torque over 13psi.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
JerMe404
Private
United_States
Rep

Harrison was probably just busy when you spoke with them. They're the best at what they do, and have been very friendly and happy to help in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Does their location in Buckhead work on aftermarket stuff or is it just service there? On their website it seems to indicate that the performance stuff is at their Smyrna location. Couldn't tell if that's just for tuning or for installing aftermarket stuff too.

I live across the street from their Buckhead location and never knew they did this stuff. It would be great to drop off my car and walk home.

And OP, I've had the walnut blast done at Solo as well, they seem pretty professional and the work was good. They've been running group buys on the walnut blast so maybe you called them one month when they were doing the special, and then called again when that was over which caused the price quote increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdifferent View Post
Buckhead Imports do pretty good work.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #11
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep

Hey man Im telling you drive up to exit 13 and Freed Performance is about a mile west. Check out his site I bet it has directions. If your close to harrison then Freed Performance is only a few minutes up 400

You wont find a better shop, and the cars he has in there are crazy cool.

Usually hes got a few new 911 turbos he's building for customers, lambos, E92 M3 wide body cars, vintage porsches. Its pretty awesome
      05-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #12
Evimero335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Trying to get rid of your downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
cadenceE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

I will try take a look at Freed. I actually live in Cumming off 369 so exit 13 is not big deal.

As to the DP Evimero.. We will see. If I cannot get this car running right sometime soon I will sell it and buy something else. So you never know.

Thanks again for the suggestions fellas.

Oh.. and if anyone would want to do a little coding for me I would buy you a beer or two.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
JerMe404
Private
United_States
Rep

What coding do you need?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 11:17 PM   #15
cadenceE92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just standard things really. Lights, windows, roof, MPH etc. All the stuff you can do with BMWhat app. I am just too cheap to buy it if I am going to sell the car. haha.

What is funny is I bought the damn OBD cable for $100 and that doesnt seem to work. Installed 4 different iterations of BMW tools and no luck communicating with the car. Reformatted two seperate computers to see if it was that and the only things installled on them was XP and BMW tools. Still not luck?????

Even got a wifi OBD adapter. And that communicated fine with BMWhat Lite app. So I assume I got a bad cable. But I bought the one that everyone said to buy so who knows.

Just getting sick of how finicky this car is. New Coil packs, New Plugs, Boost leaks, Shift bogs, droney dp's. Maybe I am just getting too old for this anymore. haha!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #16
332ijunkie
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 87 M52 E30, M52 E36

We can help with all of that stuff. Nivedh is a local and also does a lot of coding
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONDEMAND View Post
Hey man Im telling you drive up to exit 13 and Freed Performance is about a mile west. Check out his site I bet it has directions. If your close to harrison then Freed Performance is only a few minutes up 400

You wont find a better shop, and the cars he has in there are crazy cool.

Usually hes got a few new 911 turbos he's building for customers, lambos, E92 M3 wide body cars, vintage porsches. Its pretty awesome
Took your advice and it couldn't have been a better experience. You can tell Sean knows what he's doing, and the fact that he does pretty much all the work himself gives you the peace of mind ahead of time that it's going to be done right. Will definitely give him more business in the future.

Best shop I've used hands-down. Highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #18
chandleerr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Garage List
2009 Bmw 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 332ijunkie View Post
We can help with all of that stuff. Nivedh is a local and also does a lot of coding
that is Dave from Markert.

Go to Dave and those guys. Great priced and highly recommended on ATL bimmers. They are a little busy so an appointment is needed. They did my coding. Nivedh is good at coding as well. All the shops others have listed above are good but i trust Markert MW. Harrison is great but they do a lot of e36,e30's mainly. Everyone in Atlanta has their preference but the most used shop i have seen recommended is Markert.

also when the chargepipe blows the sensor will come off make sure you put it back and and reset the codes. i would not trust the factory CP for s**t. it.ll blow. i went with the ER long version CP when i blew mine. Priced a little bit but its perfect. im using stock diverter valves as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #19
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic aces View Post
Took your advice and it couldn't have been a better experience. You can tell Sean knows what he's doing, and the fact that he does pretty much all the work himself gives you the peace of mind ahead of time that it's going to be done right. Will definitely give him more business in the future.

Best shop I've used hands-down. Highly recommend.
Yeah Sean | Freed Performance is the only person I will allow to touch my car.

For things that are above my skill set he is the best around. He is going to do my 550i clutch and flywheel soon.

Glad it worked out well for you.
      06-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #20
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Markert is a joke.
      06-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #21
332ijunkie
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 87 M52 E30, M52 E36

Still bashing because we didnt call you back with a quote in a timely manner? Youve never even dealt with us as a customer. Dont feel 'a joke' is called for :P
Your opinion either way.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #22
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 332ijunkie View Post
Still bashing because we didnt call you back with a quote in a timely manner? Youve never even dealt with us as a customer. Dont feel 'a joke' is called for :P
Your opinion either way.
Yes, you're a joke.

Go rip off the idiots on the Facebook group. Maybe you can ruin another 335's turbo project, too.

Edit: No, LSD project is last I heard of the mockery at the dyno's.