E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New Owner - Too Many Acronyms

07-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Bonedoggie
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

New Owner - Too Many Acronyms

I bought a 2011 335d with 14k miles on it about a month ago for my wife. We both love it and hope to enjoy it for many years to come. I joined this list in hopes of learning more about it and hopefully being able to understand if not fix what I can once the warranty expires.

I will freely admit I am a newbie, but I am willing to learn.

What I have seen is more acronyms than I have ever experienced. Is there a post or sticky here that translates them all? Here is what I have collected so far.

DDE

As in: "To solve the zero adaptation problem on my 335d, they reprogrammed my DDE."

SES

As in: "My SES light came on."

CAN
JBD

As in: "so I did not purchase the CAN tool with the JBD."

MAF

As in: "I just had my MAF replaced after throwing a code P0101. Code is back. Awesome…."

EGR (I'm used to this being Exhaust Gas Recirulation valve. True?)

SCR (No Idea)

If there is a link elsewhere to answer these and others, please pass it on. Thanks in advance.

Jon
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedoggie View Post
What I have seen is more acronyms than I have ever experienced. Is there a post or sticky here that translates them all? Here is what I have collected so far.
Start here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...erformance.pdf and read the doc provided in the first post.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Bonedoggie
Rep

Thanks much, I figured it was out there.

Jon
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
SES
CAN
JBD
SES-Service Engine Soon. Review owners' manual.
JBD-A product from Burger Motorsports. Google it.
CAN-A tool from Burger Motorsports you can buy to adjust, monitor, and adjust certain items on your 335d that are related to the JBD. See Burger site.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

DDE: Digital Diesel Electronics
SES: Service Engine Soon (BMW's "check engine" light")
CAN: Short for controller area network or CAN Bus. Its the communication protocol used to check and delete codes. In your example, this is for a CAN Tool to delete codes thrown by JBD
JBD: JB Diesel (JBD) BMW Performance Tuner, a plug n play mode to boost fuel pressure in the Diesel, increasing power
MAF: Mass Air Flow (Sensor). And you quoted me on that one.
EGR: Exhaust Gas Recirulation
SCR: Selective Catalytic Reduction - SCR catalyst subsequently converts the nitric oxides (NO and, respectively, NO2) in the exhaust gas into environmentally compatible nitrogen (N2) and water vapor (H2O) by mixing it with DEF.
DEF: (cause I just used it) Diesel Exhaust Fluid

Quote:
I bought a 2011 335d with 14k miles on it about a month ago for my wife. We both love it and hope to enjoy it for many years to come. I joined this list in hopes of learning more about it and hopefully being able to understand if not fix what I can once the warranty expires.

I will freely admit I am a newbie, but I am willing to learn.

DDE

As in: "To solve the zero adaptation problem on my 335d, they reprogrammed my DDE."

SES

CAN
JBD

MAF

As in: "I just had my MAF replaced after throwing a code P0101. Code is back. Awesome…."

EGR (I'm used to this being Exhaust Gas Recirulation valve. True?)

SCR (No Idea)

If there is a link elsewhere to answer these and others, please pass it on. Thanks in advance.

Jon
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

As a new owner, here are some other things I wish I knew earlier on.

DEF is really check and can be added yourself. BMW will only "top you off" during oil charges scheduled in their maintenance. If you run out, the car will not allow you run any more and BMW charges a very high rate to do it. Do some research about where to add the fluid (older versions are on the rear fender, newer I think is in the engine bay). Also check out VW DEF or buy from a truck stop if you really need to pinch pennies.

Yes, you have a lot of torque at lower RPMs, but the engine needs to cycle through the heat up and clear carbon buildup. Make sure you let it rev up.

Carbon build up and it's cousins are the only thing we seem to be having trouble with, concerning reliability. Work with your dealer/mechanic to ensure your do as much preventative work as possible to keep these issues from happening earlier than you'd like. There are lively discussions on "reving hi" all the time and potential for using additives to help. Rumor has it that it is the US's diesel policy (cetane level over 40 is all that is required) vs EU (cetane over 55 I think). I fill up at Shell when I can (here they "advertise" 45 on the pumps, but end up a Hess a lot due to proximity (advertise "above 40).

If you are in NJ and have a sport package GET TIRE WARRANTIES!!!!!!! that engine up front is heavy. Every time I take a trip to NJ there is some pot hole I couldn't avoid and impact bubble are likely.

If you are near a dealer and have the cash to throw at it... (assuming you are not tuning or modding your wife's car) I would highly suggest the warranty and/or service extensions from BMW. Until they have this carbon build up issue sorted out, you can expect to pay for one engine cleaning, minimum within the first 60-100k miles. Seeing as Diesel cleanings (for me at least) are over the 3-4k for the warranty and can some times require a new turbo/erg, sounds like a good mitigation of costs to me. Service is more of a break even on cost, but my dealer also has a great loaner program and do an amazing job cleaning my car (even clay bar detailed once) while my D was getting an oil change). If you get them in combo, BMW has not room to wiggle with "oh, that is a service issue, not a warranty issue" or vise versa.

Lastly, the D owner's on this forum are serious fans and good people. I have stopped going any place else to talk BMW. They will help out in any way they can. Some guys will even drive out of their way just to see any new project you've done.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Bonedoggie
Rep

Thanks so much all, and especially Jhayd11.

We do not have the Sport Package, but will most likely get the extended warranty. I had a tranny die on our Odyssey minivan and have ever since felt the need.

I'm certainly new to the group, but have been in many similar ones. The members here seem great and I am thankful for the experienced and passionate fans.

Cheers,

Jon
Appreciate 0