Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Should I cut my losses and get new rims?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
jonni44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: i8

Should I cut my losses and get new rims?

So a couple months ago I bought a set of new front RFT's for my e90 off of kijiji and when I went to pick them up the guy offered to give me a set of pretty badly beaten racing hart evolution forged wheels for pretty much free (I paid 500 for the two brand new bridgestone RFTs and he gave me the rims)

I took them to my local wheel repair shop and they proceeded to completely refurbish them and get them back to new condition, turns out two of the wheels were pretty bady cracked. I also had them change the colour from silver to matte black.

Two days after I mounted them i noticed the rears were flat, just as I headed out onto a road trip to B.C. I filled the tires and stopped every hour or so to make sure they maintained pressure, which they did.

I then proceeded to go through a nasty construction zone and re cracked one of the rear rims... again. (Canadian construction sites blow hard balls)

Upon arriving to Fountain tire in Kelowna they informed me of this new crack, repaired it and put bead sealant (or soemthing like that) on the rears so that they would hold pressure.

They also told me that the reason my tires were holding pressure was because of the wheels having been painted.

I've sold the stock wheels already and the front drivers tire still doesnt hold air when I let it sit overnight.

What should I do? Im a little concerned with how many repairs these wheels have had.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

It is not worth it because the barrel could contain more areas that will crack. The cost to completely repair the wheels could have been put towards a new set of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
jonni44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

yup, I paid 1200 bucks total repairing and painting the wheels, Im told they're "good as new" right now but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
coolchu001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335d

perhaps you can go back to the refurbisher and see if there is any warranty on the repair?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
brokemywallet
Slaveaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

yeah, once wheels have been cracked and repaired the structural integrity is compromised. it will most likely crack, most often in the same spot depending on the extent of the repair.

but i've seen cracked wheels that have been repaired crack in other several other places other than the part repaired.

i'd cut my losses and get a new set, otherwise you'll have constant headaches and waste money on repairs and new tires...........
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
jonni44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

^^^ oh man ive had it up to here with these rims, right after i got back from yet another tire shop today to apply bead sealant, one of the rears went flat.

Don't suppose anyone knows where to buy good used rims near San Diego, Id prefer to buy from a vendor?

Not that I dont trust e90post members but I dont want to buy another set of rims that dont hold tire pressure.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
jonni44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolchu001 View Post
perhaps you can go back to the refurbisher and see if there is any warranty on the repair?
They said they'd repaint the wheels no questions asked but theres nothing they can do cause at the moment they're "good as new" (why do repair shops keep telling me this?)
Appreciate 0