E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Using integrated buttons for other functions

09-02-2009, 04:32 AM   #1
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Using integrated buttons for other functions

Hi,

does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit stuff for the OEM buttons (where seat heating, PDC, etc. is)?

I'd like to wire my detector's mute button there.

The next step would be to integrate the Bilstein EDC system into one of these buttons.

I found this at real OEM: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=61&fg=25

But I dunno what it contains...? Is it the switches? $370 is a bit steep to find out its not going to work...

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
RMH
Rep
Drives: E93

If the mute button is small, you can actually place it inside one of the unused buttons, or you can get a smaller button that fits inside. That way you don't have to buy a new panel. All the buttons are actually there, but the leds are missing.
The unused buttons are actually dummies that you can use if you remove four small plastic pins with a paper knife.
I have installed my garage door opener in one of the free buttons in my car, and it works great I used a small micro switch and ran the wires to the remote, similar to the guide you can find in the DIY section.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMH View Post
If the mute button is small, you can actually place it inside one of the unused buttons, or you can get a smaller button that fits inside. That way you don't have to buy a new panel. All the buttons are actually there, but the leds are missing.
The unused buttons are actually dummies that you can use if you remove four small plastic pins with a paper knife.
I have installed my garage door opener in one of the free buttons in my car, and it works great I used a small micro switch and ran the wires to the remote, similar to the guide you can find in the DIY section.
More info please!

First - buttons are there, but LEDs are missing - is this what you meant? Or "Buttons are there, but leads are missing"? - Hoping for the first.

Second - 4 plastic pins - I am assuming these are little things like "feet" preventing the button from being pressed. I cut them off = I can press the button. That I understand.

However, what is behind the buttons? I'm guessing its some sort of PCB that connects via some BUS to other electronics... but how do I fit the micro switch in there?

The Beltronics hardwire kit looks like this:

http://www.beltronics.com/store/dire...tplug-red.html

The only function I need is the mute button. I am assuming that this is a simple micro switch, that I could find NP. However, how do I get the cable in to the switch and back out?

Any help greatly appreciated. I would like this to look as much OEM as possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
RMH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
More info please!

First - buttons are there, but LEDs are missing - is this what you meant? Or "Buttons are there, but leads are missing"? - Hoping for the first.

Second - 4 plastic pins - I am assuming these are little things like "feet" preventing the button from being pressed. I cut them off = I can press the button. That I understand.

However, what is behind the buttons? I'm guessing its some sort of PCB that connects via some BUS to other electronics... but how do I fit the micro switch in there?

The Beltronics hardwire kit looks like this:

http://www.beltronics.com/store/dire...tplug-red.html

The only function I need is the mute button. I am assuming that this is a simple micro switch, that I could find NP. However, how do I get the cable in to the switch and back out?

Any help greatly appreciated. I would like this to look as much OEM as possible.
1. Yes, LEDs are missing (but you don't need them)
2. Yes, small "feets". When you cut them you can press the button
3. There is PCB and a some rubber to push the button back. I actually just put the button inside, cut a little bit of the plastic to run the wires through to the remote. The button will then stay in place. Sorry but I don't have any pictures. (I don't use any of the original wires)
4. I think that you can just open the mute button you have and take out the switch that is inside (I guess it's a small micro switch). Then solder two wires from the mute unit to the micro switch.

Hope that this was of some help. You'll understand better if you take out the switch panel and look inside it

Regards
Roy
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

Hi, i'd like to know too. I did the same, cut off the 4 legs on one. However didn't know how to get a microswitch in. Drilling thru the print plate is likely to damage something. The missing LEDs are not a problem, as long as you have no symbol on the button.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMH View Post
1. Yes, LEDs are missing (but you don't need them)
2. Yes, small "feets". When you cut them you can press the button
3. There is PCB and a some rubber to push the button back. I actually just put the button inside, cut a little bit of the plastic to run the wires through to the remote. The button will then stay in place. Sorry but I don't have any pictures. (I don't use any of the original wires)
4. I think that you can just open the mute button you have and take out the switch that is inside (I guess it's a small micro switch). Then solder two wires from the mute unit to the micro switch.

Hope that this was of some help. You'll understand better if you take out the switch panel and look inside it

Regards
Roy
Thanks, and how exactly do I take out the switch panel?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
RMH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Thanks, and how exactly do I take out the switch panel?
If I remember correctly you first remove the aircondtion panel, then the fram surrounding the CD/DVD player, then you remove the switch panel.
I think you will find some pictures and instructions in the DIY section.

Regards
Roy
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

D o S: Have you done this yet? I was thinking of doing the mute button mod myself for my 9500ix after I hardwire it. Do you have to buy a bunch of hardware to make a functioning button, or is there button hardware already in place from the factory?

Does anyone have any pics of the back of this panel?
Appreciate 0