E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS-Power Box reliability question

07-01-2010, 06:09 AM   #23
Dm
Rep
Drives: E70 Xdrive35d + E92 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfiend View Post
This is going to be an interesting thread. As your reliability question goes with most aftermarket mods, specially ECU related.

Now, where is the pop-corn....

Here it is:

I am running an electronics circuits development firm, so I have a clue of how the safe electronics should be designed. Maybe this unit is designed safe - but let's listen to the vendor to get a confirmation.
I am considering buying the thing, and of course if I finally decide to do that, I will open it and make sure it is designed safely before installing.
      07-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #24
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Or better yet, since you're in electronics design line of business.... duplicate it (if BMS didn't file a patent on it) and/or make it fail safe and then sell it for half price if there is still profit margin...

P.S. good questions & welcome to the forum

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #25
Dm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
Or better yet, since you're in electronics design line of business.... duplicate it (if BMS didn't file a patent on it) and/or make it fail safe and then sell it for half price if there is still profit margin...

P.S. good questions & welcome to the forum

Thank you for your P.S. ! As for the rest Of your post - no, I have no intention to be in this market, I am just considering this product for my car but first I would like to make sure it is safe.
      07-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #26
pushkin
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm View Post
Here it is:

I am running an electronics circuits development firm, so I have a clue of how the safe electronics should be designed. Maybe this unit is designed safe - but let's listen to the vendor to get a confirmation.
I am considering buying the thing, and of course if I finally decide to do that, I will open it and make sure it is designed safely before installing.
Since you know a thing or 2 about electronics circuits just buy the PBX, crack it open and let us know what you think about how well it is designed
      07-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #27
philsteroni
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Really? Why do people ever use redundant computers at fault critical applications, if "calculators" never fail ?
We are talking about cars, not Nasa space ships or Nuclear missile technology. If you start worrying about your PBX not working correctly, you might as well start worrying about your airbags not deploying and your active steering going nuts. Bmw's already rely on dozens of computer modules to make the car run properly and safely, the PBX is just one more.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #28
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
And i think craven haD ran the pbx for many many miles
Over 30,000 in fact

never had an issue, always serviced it at the dealer and never took it out.

the PBX is a solid product and BMS knows what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #29
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsteroni View Post
... If you start worrying about your PBX not working correctly, you might as well start worrying about your airbags not deploying and your active steering going nuts. Bmw's already rely on dozens of computer modules to make the car run properly and safely, the PBX is just one more.
And if he does, why do you care. Maybe he considers seat belts as redundancy to airbags... power steering to active steering...

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #30
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Mike,
What prevents the processor of the PBX to be locked up on failure while leaving the last valid output signals on the output digital to analog converters (DACs) forever ? In this case the 2 output signals will still be valid (one half of the other) and the ECU will not detect any error.
Thanks
Dmitry
I'm not really an EE but I believe that is why they went with a pwm/low pass filter design instead of a stand alone DAC. If the processor locks up the PWM will be stuck either high or low. There are provisions on the firmware to handle various shut down / lock up scenarios as well. It's a simple well proven system but I suppose there are always some risks you take on when modifying a car.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #31
philsteroni
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
And if he does, why do you care. Maybe he considers seat belts as redundancy to airbags... power steering to active steering...
I felt like he misquoted me. I was merely trying to state that not all BMW features use redundancy as backup when something breaks or fails(ie first gen Mini electric power steering totally disables when battery is low).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #32
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I felt like he misquoted me. I was merely trying to state that not all BMW features use redundancy as backup when something breaks or fails(ie first gen Mini electric power steering totally disables when battery is low).

Now you're going to make him take apart every electrical devise in his BMW that can lead to losing control and inspect the redundancy level BMW built into it...

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #33
philsteroni
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Now you're going to make him take apart every electrical devise in his BMW that can lead to losing control and inspect the redundancy level BMW built into it...
No, he was the one who mentioned redundancy. I am the one who stated we should trust electronics (as i stated with calculators). I don't think you're reading correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #34
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, he was the one who mentioned redundancy. I am the one who stated we should trust electronics (as i stated with calculators). I don't think you're reading correctly.
I'm reading it correctly... don't worry about it, it's all . My comment was a joke and it was in reference of Dm taking electronics apart in his BMW to double check that's everything is redundant that can cause his car to go out of control....

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #35
philsteroni
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm reading it correctly... don't worry about it, it's all . My comment was a joke and it was in reference of Dm taking electronics apart in his BMW to double check that's everything is redundant that can cause his car to go out of control....
Oops! I didn't catch the sarcasm.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #36
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZPP ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfiend View Post
This is going to be an interesting thread. As your reliability question goes with most aftermarket mods, specially ECU related.

Now, where is the pop-corn....

Gotchyo back brochacho.
2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #37
Dm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I'm not really an EE but I believe that is why they went with a pwm/low pass filter design instead of a stand alone DAC. If the processor locks up the PWM will be stuck either high or low. There are provisions on the firmware to handle various shut down / lock up scenarios as well. It's a simple well proven system but I suppose there are always some risks you take on when modifying a car.

Mike

My understanding is that PWM is a hardware implemented thing inside most of the modern uCs, so if the firmware hangs up, the PWM continues to run forever with the last loaded counter values, so if it was, say, 75% throttle, it will be 75% forever...

Disclosure: still did not install the thing, using the DS mode and wondering if BMW will ever consider to patch the issue.
      11-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #38
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
My understanding is that PWM is a hardware implemented thing inside most of the modern uCs, so if the firmware hangs up, the PWM continues to run forever with the last loaded counter values, so if it was, say, 75% throttle, it will be 75% forever...

Disclosure: still did not install the thing, using the DS mode and wondering if BMW will ever consider to patch the issue.
You think too much. You already know how the PBX works, it is what you don't know that might kill you, like exactly when your tire may blow out, or exactly when you may run into a drunk driver.

People worry about things they know or think they have control over, but in reality those that you do not have control over are more likely to kill you but you don't worry about them since they are out of your control.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #39
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
You think too much. You already know how the PBX works, it is what you don't know that might kill you, like exactly when your tire may blow out, or exactly when you may run into a drunk driver.

People worry about things they know or think they have control over, but in reality those that you do not have control over are more likely to kill you but you don't worry about them since they are out of your control.
Amen to that
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #40
blimey
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Really? Why do people ever use redundant computers at fault critical applications, if "calculators" never fail ?
You are over analyzing things. For the sake of "computers at fault critical applications", various reasons apply but the prevalent reason is it's compliance and IT standard driven. I should know this as this is my field.
In my opinion, these are cost heavy and when designing an infrastructure in beginning, you design it with the best hardware available with the lowest risk of failure.

I think the same has been applied to the Powerbox. However, real world experience would carry the most weight. I don't think there has been any reported problems yet.

Edit: this sub-forum is certainly not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by blimey; 11-19-2010 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #41
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey View Post
Quote:
You are over analyzing things. For the sake of "computers at fault critical applications", various reasons apply but the prevalent reason is it's compliance and IT standard driven. I should know this as this is my field.
In my opinion, these are cost heavy and when designing an infrastructure in beginning, you design it with the best hardware available with the lowest risk of failure.

I think the same has been applied to the Powerbox. However, real world experience would carry the most weight. I don't think there has been any reported problems yet.

Edit: this sub-forum is certainly not for the faint of heart.
I don't think he is the faint of heart. I am pretty sure he understands he will have a much higher chance getting in an accident for reasons other than the PBX, yet he is still driving

Anyone who dares to drive cannot be the faint of heart unless he does not realize that driving is a very risky business.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #42
Dm
Rep

Quote:

Doctor, do I have a chance ?

I still think that the aftermarket modules that you buy for your car should be reliable by design. I agree there are no reported issues but this does not prove to me anything.

Actually any "extra" device between the throttle and the DME reduces overall reliability - I am surprised that BMW did not come up with the firmware upgrade to remap the poorly mapped thing.
      11-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #43
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Doctor, do I have a chance ?

I still think that the aftermarket modules that you buy for your car should be reliable by design. I agree there are no reported issues but this does not prove to me anything.

Actually any "extra" device between the throttle and the DME reduces overall reliability - I am surprised that BMW did not come up with the firmware upgrade to remap the poorly mapped thing.
I see your concern now, you see I am a good doctor

If your concern is an added item between the throttle and the DM, i.e., a piggyback unit, get the AA tune or the OE tune, just don't expect BMW to do anything, if they make the 328 drive much better and faster, who is going to pay a lot of more money for a 335 or the future new generation of NA 3s?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #44
xxp0loxx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 Space Gray ACS

Quote:
We are talking about cars, not Nasa space ships or Nuclear missile technology. If you start worrying about your PBX not working correctly, you might as well start worrying about your airbags not deploying and your active steering going nuts. Bmw's already rely on dozens of computer modules to make the car run properly and safely, the PBX is just one more.
Hehe, you do know NASA electronics and nuclear missile tech is from......the 60's right. just trolling, ignore me