E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New Procede in 535i - getting check engine symbol

08-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
wiredrob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535i sport, sport auto

New Procede in 535i - getting check engine symbol

I just sent these emails to Dustin but thought I should post them here as well to get more help. (I've been lurking here for a few weeks and enjoyed the banter. It's time to surface.)

Dustin:

Saturday I installed the procede on my 535i. Very nice performance boost!

However, I have 3 times received the check engine light. Twice on Saturday and once today. I have actually not driven the car much in that time.

All 3 times the light came during extremely light accelleration.

I cannot seem to get a code out of the C-reader I bought from you when this happens. I tried all 3 times. It just says:

LAUNCH -1- -2- -3- (then it pauses) -4- -5- E (then it starts over)

What do you suggest? Am I using the C-reader correctly? Any connections or install issues you suggest I check? Load a new map?

By the way, the evening after the install (after 2 check engine symbols), I left my iphone in the car to try to charge it overnight on the ipod interrface the car has. I wanted to see if it would charge (it didn't!) Since then the past few days the car intermittently says it has a heavy battery drain for the first 30 seconds after starting with an icon in the dash of a car on a lift.

Thought you should know.

You can email me back here with suggestions or call me at XXXXXXXX. Please note the time difference as I'm in New Jersey

Thanks.

Then I sent this message as well>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

not sure the icon I got was check engine light - it looked like a fire engine valve half in yellow (split on a diagonal). I assumed it was a check engine light but afterreading some e90 posts maybe it was something else - I read could be due to a fuel pump problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Make sure the vacuum lines have no leaks and make sure that all the connections are tight...If they are all ok, than it might be the fuel pump...If the tommorrow the car starts to take a long time to crank over to start it may be the fuel pump failing...I had the same thing happen to me, but i am hoping it was the bad batch of gas that i got when i refueled with another company of gas that i never used...but thats my case....My car for 4 days started long cranks, but after new fuel car has been normal for the last 2 days....From what i heard the V1.47 eliminates cel being thrown from normal cruising that V1.45 had....Your car should not throw any codes while cruising so maybe the gas, or maybe the dreaded fuel pump...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredrob View Post
I just sent these emails to Dustin but thought I should post them here as well to get more help. (I've been lurking here for a few weeks and enjoyed the banter. It's time to surface.)

Dustin:

Saturday I installed the procede on my 535i. Very nice performance boost!

However, I have 3 times received the check engine light. Twice on Saturday and once today. I have actually not driven the car much in that time.

All 3 times the light came during extremely light accelleration.

I cannot seem to get a code out of the C-reader I bought from you when this happens. I tried all 3 times. It just says:

LAUNCH -1- -2- -3- (then it pauses) -4- -5- E (then it starts over)

What do you suggest? Am I using the C-reader correctly? Any connections or install issues you suggest I check? Load a new map?

By the way, the evening after the install (after 2 check engine symbols), I left my iphone in the car to try to charge it overnight on the ipod interrface the car has. I wanted to see if it would charge (it didn't!) Since then the past few days the car intermittently says it has a heavy battery drain for the first 30 seconds after starting with an icon in the dash of a car on a lift.

Thought you should know.

You can email me back here with suggestions or call me at XXXXXXXX. Please note the time difference as I'm in New Jersey

Thanks.

Then I sent this message as well>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

not sure the icon I got was check engine light - it looked like a fire engine valve half in yellow (split on a diagonal). I assumed it was a check engine light but afterreading some e90 posts maybe it was something else - I read could be due to a fuel pump problem?
What fuse did you use for the power source? Also, it's past 6pm here so its going to be tough to troubleshoot with you. Just Dustin a chance tomorrow to help you out with things. He'll call you back at the phone number you provided in your call-back request. I'm not so sure the hail mary approach is going to be the smoothest way to get you sorted out

shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Sounds like limp mode - yellow outline of engine split on diagonal. This will not generate an error code. Was your engine power reduced significantly?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

your best bet is to find someone who has ins with the dealership and get the code read that way. The latest E60s scan differently compared to the older E60s....they need the MOST bus connection in the dealership to scan the car, not just plug into the OBD connector and go from there...even at the shop I work for now, 06 and up BMWs give us problems on the scan tool because it can't identify the system.

I might have a friend or two who can read the car out and see what its throwing out, but im on Long Island... As Shiv said, check your power source, as these cars are so finicky, a loss of voltage on the wrong circuit sends the car into fits.

Something is keeping the the car active..the car will not 'go to sleep' after 10 minutes if inactivity because one or modules is not shutting down...which is causing the heavy battery drain and the 'service car soon light' (car on a lift symbol).

It could be an error on your end in the install, or could just be the car itself....newer E60s sometimes tend to crap out for no reason, so car might even need a software update (but its brand new so I'm doubting that)...

If it indeed is going into limp mode and will not clear the code after several drives, the fuel pump could be the culprit...it would be the first time Ive seen such issues in the 535..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
DEL451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Your check engine sounds like limp mode as previous poster mentions. Did your iDrive say reduced power as well? If so, this is known issue with PROcede and I've had it a few times with my 535 already. Vishnu folks need to say what version the 535 map uses - 1.45 or 1.47. I'm assuming we're using modified 1.47 since 535 map came out after 1.47 release. But haven't heard of 535 LBT map being available which we might need.

Battery drain warning is a known issue for 535. I have it as well as few others. It's something that needs to be resolved and hopefully Shiv and the crew will figure something out. I am a bit concerned now if car cannot goto "sleep" as mentioned below and long term battery drainage despite restarting the car every few days.

Good to know OBD connection isn't helpful for E60. Sounds like I need to bribe my service person for the MOST connection and have the car checked.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
wiredrob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535i sport, sport auto

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Shiv - there was a 10 amp and 50 amp fuse available. Your video said to use the 40 amp if possible, or then the 50 amp. I was concerned that the 10 amp fuse would have it's load exceeded and trip, so I opted for the 50 amp. BTW Dustin emailed a brief question which I replied and am waiting to hear back.

Drove the car 20 miles today on two trips without any Check engine lights. Also in two starts today did not see the heavy battery drain message on start up.

BTW I have version 1.47 per documentation.

Car starts right up - no problem there. When I installed the vacuum lines I was very careful but I will check anyway.

To Itsbrokeagain - I may take you up on your offer to help scan - LI is not the far and we all know what lengths we will go through when we get desparate. I didn't realize that the OBD scanner wouldn't read the codes - isn't it the law that it should? Maybe these are special codes not covered by the law?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 07:18 AM   #8
Becksgold
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

From experience BMW's are becoming more and more complex.. .a 335 and 535 probably have different coding... hence Engine check!!
Appreciate 0